Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times

Advertisements

Like RetInAmmon, we're a two member household and have zero interest in club memberships at either store.

We shop at a grocery store rather than the "W's" and if what I'm looking for is not there and I don't mind waiting a few days, I shop online.

However, I can appreciate the need for it with households larger than ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 10:37 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Great discussion so far. Everyone has made relevant points and increased the Costco discussion to this point. I hope others like IFGuy, Mike, Chris - if possible- and anyone else with knowledge of Costco will join in.

@Dan Q., I find your post very consistent. I think we agree with the theory I proposed. It isn't really possible to know what that poster meant. It may be a store has to be at 200% to consider another store. Or, as you suggested, it could be Costco couldn't assist in transfer expenses for that employee.

Another thought is it's a nice circle to truck goods/food from SLC to Twin Falls then to Pocatello and back to SLC.

Looking forward to more comments by all who may have seen Costco patterns or be aware of what has changed since Costco last looked at Idaho Falls/Ammon. All viewpoints contribute to the discussion, IMO.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:10 PM

168 posts, read 174,061 times
Default Bye Bye Sports Authority

Now that Sports Authority has confirmed plans to close ALL STORES, perhaps Dicks Sporting Goods will be fast-tracking their (rumored) planned entrance into Idaho Falls . . .

We can hope, anyway.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:19 PM

432 posts, read 533,379 times
As far as Costco goes, two new grocery stores have opened in the upper Valley which change the whole shopping dynamic. I've heard rumblings that the Rexburg Walmart has taken sales from not only both stores in Idaho Falls but also Winco and Sam's Club as well.

This is what those of us in the business call market saturation.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
As far as Costco goes, two new grocery stores have opened in the upper Valley which change the whole shopping dynamic. I've heard rumblings that the Rexburg Walmart has taken sales from not only both stores in Idaho Falls but also Winco and Sam's Club as well.

This is what those of us in the business call market saturation.
Walmart certainly didn't hesitate getting into the Idaho Falls market. My understanding, because I didn't live here at the time, is Sam's Club was built first. But I could easily be wrong.

Between a Super Walmart in Poky, a Walmart in Blackfoot (not sure if it is a super or not) two Super Walmart's in Idaho Falls plus Sam's Club and the new Super Walmart in Rexburg, the area has six stores/warehouse within 75 miles. That seems like a lot for the permanent population.

However, I think Broulim's has played a role as well. Not only in Sandcreek Commons, Broulim's have expanded or update many of their 10 or so stores.

I have a couple of friends who work in grocery stores. I hope their stores are busy

Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Walmart certainly didn't hesitate getting into the Idaho Falls market. My understanding, because I didn't live here at the time, is Sam's Club was built first. But I could easily be wrong.

Between a Super Walmart in Poky, a Walmart in Blackfoot (not sure if it is a super or not) two Super Walmart's in Idaho Falls plus Sam's Club and the new Super Walmart in Rexburg, the area has six stores/warehouse within 75 miles. That seems like a lot for the permanent population.

However, I think Broulim's has played a role as well. Not only in Sandcreek Commons, Broulim's have expanded or update many of their 10 or so stores.

I have a couple of friends who work in grocery stores. I hope their stores are busy
Yes, Blackfoot Walmart is a a super store.

Seeing activity, updates, at the Albertsons in Ammon and it looks like one in IF is soon to follow.

While I don't shop at Broulims, I'm glad to see our local/regional grocers stepping up. It was rather sad after IF built the Super W that Savings Center closed. I would hate to see big box kick out the local, regional chains!

Old 05-03-2016, 01:21 PM

434 posts, read 416,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
The trenching and dirt work you see there is an upgrade to the electrical service. Whoever bought the building didn't find the existing service adaquate. My guess is either they will divide the building and lease to multiple tenants or adding onto it.
Learned today that the former Rusios will soon be home to Black Bear Diner. They opened in Pocatello recently. Has anyone down that way been? And while I am discussing Hall Park Plaza, what might be a good fit for the Sports Authority space? I am probably incorrect but I was thinking a furniture store.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:19 PM

432 posts, read 533,379 times
Per biz mojo, Indian motorcycle is opening a dealership just north of Taylor Crossing. Pretty neat!!!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Per biz mojo, Indian motorcycle is opening a dealership just north of Taylor Crossing. Pretty neat!!!
Yes, it's good to see this. That is the property I told you about months ago that was very confusing to me how certain RDA obligations couldn't be met, yet this property either was sold independently or something.

I'd like to see a BMW motorcycle shop along S. Utah or in Eagle Ridge. More and more are being used for YNP. I'd also like to see a rental for boats, jet skis , kayaks and more so the river can be accessed for fun. It's a huge potential for certain businesses and barely used. I believe there is river access for small water toys in the park south of TC. Boats would have to access the river from a different location. But close to the hotels would be great locations for these businesses, IMO. Also, an IMAX and indoor/outdoor putting green would be used. Between hotel guests, residents of SRL and downtown workers among others, I think Eagle Ridge in particular would be a great location for different recreational businesses.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
Learned today that the former Rusios will soon be home to Black Bear Diner. They opened in Pocatello recently. Has anyone down that way been? And while I am discussing Hall Park Plaza, what might be a good fit for the Sports Authority space? I am probably incorrect but I was thinking a furniture store.
This chain is expanding rapidly. I'm surprised by the Rusios location though. I couldn't find their hours, perhaps they are open later than other restaurants. I would have thought they would locate more on the Northgate Mile or by the Utah Ave. Walmart.

Black Bear Diner | Good Old Fashioned Family Food

I'd think a infill business like Burlington Coat Factory would do well in Hall Park. There could be several businesses that would be compliments to Tai Pan, as that will be the major draw for Hall Park. Certain types of furniture stores could do ok. I'd think one that is more specialty and compliment what Tai Pan offers would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls