U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 PM

106 posts, read 555,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
I lived in Ashton ID for 4 yrs and their winter is much worse than IF. The wind in Buhl and Mountain Home is much worse than IF. In Twin Falls county you don't see green unless it is lawns or hay field, it is always brown here and IF isn't that way all yr long or as long as you say. You must have really hated IF to think that poorly of it.
The guy is from Vegas... Put things in perspective. You're thinking like someone who is used to winter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 10:06 PM

241 posts, read 948,835 times
I am from Southern CA where we had no winter at all the lowest it ever got as a kid was 60. So I do have it in perspective! The last big snow that IF really saw was the winter of '91-'92 when most of the roads were shut down and they couldn't get on top of it. Out in the Taylor area, which is South of IF, the roads were like tunnels during that winter. That was my first winter in ID. In '02 Ashton had more snow than it had seen in a decade and I was living there at that time. We came home from a trip to CA with our driveway snowed in. It hasn't done that again there. The winters aren't like that anymore every thing has changed over the past 15 yrs that I have lived in ID.

Plus no matter what the weather is IF is still a much better place to raise a family than Vegas!!

Have you been in the wind in Vegas? I have and I would rather be in the wind any place in ID than there. Over here at the junction of I-84 & I-86 they have to shut it down several times during the yr due to the wind and the dirt is blows over the roads. Very much like the dust storms that I have driven through in Vegas. If you want to complain about wind then maybe you should go to Livingston MT and see what they live with every day. The wind is so strong there that it picks up fully loaded trucks, as it did my husband and I in '01. It picked up the trailer, which was the huge opossom belly bark trailer, and the truck, which fully loaded was over 100,000 lbs. It bent the tarp pole into a huge S shape and then slammed us back onto I-90. That is wind to be afraid of but it is like that all of the time there.

So yes I do have it all in perspective and have been in many different climates across this country and if it wasn't for some ppl in ID we would not be moving. ID is a beautiful place and easy to get use to. If you put things into perspective you will see that ID has tons of different environments within it's borders that would and do appeal to many ppl. Myself, I prefer the East side of the state but I am stuck here in Buhl till summer.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:28 PM

149 posts, read 1,052,788 times
IF is a much better place to live than Vegas, definitely.

I also agree that IF is less windy than Vegas, and the whole state of Wyoming. (I-80: Rock Springs to Cheyenne suuucks)

That said -- if you're gonna move to Idaho, the weather in the Boise area or even N. Idaho will be better, IMHO.

The winters in Eastern Idaho might not be as bad as I remember them -- I haven't lived in Eastern Idaho since the mid 90's. Sounds like global warming has toned down the winters. Still, I think the weather in other parts of Idaho are better than Eastern Idaho.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
I am from Southern CA where we had no winter at all the lowest it ever got as a kid was 60. So I do have it in perspective!
There is no way that I would live in Vegas either but the question is about winters. But let's put things into better perspective like I said previously.

You have to figure that 2/3 of the country is south of Idaho Falls and hence has better winters. You have to figure that 80% of the population is near the ocean or is at an elevation that brings in very mild winters (nearly anywhere on the eastern half of this country). Even 80% of the people in Washington, Oregon, and California live on the coast. (it's probably more like 90% live under 1,000 feet in elevation)

So your definition of "mild winter" is not the same as anywhere else or what is considered "mild" from the perspective of most people in this country.

So I say from this perspective that Idaho Falls has harsh winters. I lived in Idaho Falls for 20 years and I've also lived in every major section of this country. You aren't looking at this logically. It's not what you think is mild, it's what anyone else would think is mild and the weather in Eastern Idaho anything but mild.

Three catagories: Mild, moderate, harsh. Which one is it? Mild??? I don't think so. You might argue moderate if you throw in Stanley, Idaho, Houlton Maine, or N. Minnesota, but again, 80% of people live in WAAAAAAAAAAAY milder winters than in E. Idaho.

Hey, let's not get ourselves all tied up in a knot! Let's just be reasonable and not give people the idea that Idaho has wonderful winters. Call my dad sometime and ask him what he thinks of the winters. He still lives in the Idaho Falls area... If you're going to argue that Idaho Falls is a great place to live then concentrate on the beauty, the proximity to Yellowstone and the Tetons, the great standard of living in I.F. (not for the rest of the state), the people, the river, the absolutely gorgeous summers, even the beauty of the snow and the frozen falls, etc. But not the winter weather...

I do agree that Boise and N. Idaho would be much better. Not great, but better...

Old 01-01-2007, 11:09 PM

241 posts, read 948,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye View Post
under 1,000 feet in elevation)

So your definition of "mild winter" is not the same as anywhere else or what is considered "mild" from the perspective of most people in this country.
I never said it was mild!!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:17 PM

11 posts, read 55,507 times
I just read all of your comments. Wow. I have to say that Vegas is a hell hole, a filthy one. I left because of the filth and the heat. I would live anywhere but there. Is it really that cold there? I believe you Proeye. We are planning to move to Salmon area. I live close to Flagstaff, AZ and you are right....It's a nice place to live. the weather is great and you are close to everything there is to do. Any advice from any of you would be great. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2id View Post
I just read all of your comments. Wow. I have to say that Vegas is a hell hole, a filthy one. I left because of the filth and the heat. I would live anywhere but there. Is it really that cold there? I believe you Proeye. We are planning to move to Salmon area. I live close to Flagstaff, AZ and you are right....It's a nice place to live. the weather is great and you are close to everything there is to do. Any advice from any of you would be great. Thanks.
It's not uncommon for the coldest winters in I.F. to have a full week where the temperature never gets above zero even during the middle of the day! Imagine having a high temperature of -5 degrees. No, not every winter is like this but it's still long, cold, and really tiresome after awhile. Apparently some people don't mind this...

The trees lose their leaves in September/October and don't appear again until late May. That's a long time. 5 months of leaves???

I was going to open a practice in the Prescott, Arizona area. The winters are fantastic and the summers don't get blazing hot like Phoenix since it's around 5,000 feet above sea level. Anyway, that project never got off the ground so I'm here in CT. I suppose we might eventually retire there but I have another 20-30 years to go!

Are you really moving to Salmon? Now there's some long winters... Did you see the forecast high for tomorrow (1/13/2007)? 10 degrees with an overnight low of -11.

What are you going to be doing in Salmon?

Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,179 times
So I am moving to Ammon ID in February. ..should I wait to bring my uhaul trailer up till spring?

Old 11-27-2015, 09:32 AM

4,920 posts, read 16,919,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmattix View Post
So I am moving to Ammon ID in February. ..should I wait to bring my uhaul trailer up till spring?
You would need to base your decision on whether there are things in the trailer you'll need right away or not and if you can handle pulling a trailer on slick roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls