U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 38,114 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to the Idaho Falls area, possibly to Rigby. I also have a child going into the 9th grade next fall and am wondering about the schools there. I'm from Vegas so better is GOOD. Tired of traffic,graffiti,and naughty billboards. Sounds like Idaho is a good idea. Any comments. Is there really alot to do there? Thats close anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 PM

9 posts, read 75,086 times
I've always liked the Idaho Falls area. There really are a lot of things really close if you like the outdoors. The schools in IF are all pretty good, but I'd be partial to Hillcrest in the southeast part of the city, in Ammon. And if you still have family in Vegas, there are direct flights from IF Regional to Las Vegas Int.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:53 AM

106 posts, read 555,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddskipper View Post
Looking to relocate to the Idaho Falls area, possibly to Rigby. I also have a child going into the 9th grade next fall and am wondering about the schools there. I'm from Vegas so better is GOOD. Tired of traffic,graffiti,and naughty billboards. Sounds like Idaho is a good idea. Any comments. Is there really alot to do there? Thats close anyway.
If you are used to urban living, then Eastern Idaho is not for you. I sure hope you check it out first before moving. If you enjoy the outdoors then Idaho is a great place to move. If you don't like ice cold winters, then you will hate the Idaho Falls area. We are talking about 6 months of dreary, cold, brown, and windy weather. Just a warning... You ain't gettin' Vegas weather in Idaho!

If you would like something warmer, then move to the Boise area. They still get winter but it's 5-10 degrees warmer, and perhaps a month shorter. You will also get a more urban setting... I just can't imagine you would enjoy going from large city to small town just like that.

Odd that you would pick Idaho vs. Vegas. Kind of a big difference. Did you grow up in the north?

Really, if you want decent winters and want something to do, then maybe Albuquerque, New Mexico; Pueblo, Colorado; or perhaps Flagstaff, Arizona would be better. Nothing wrong with Idaho, it's just that you're coming from Vegas...

Old 12-26-2006, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 30,032 times
Idaho falls is a great place to live.You have everything you need in idaho falls and the winter is not that bad.i moved here from atlanta,georgia and i think id. falls is way better than atl.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 PM

241 posts, read 948,702 times
I lived in the IF area for 13 yrs and the winters aren't that bad. I grew up in Southern CA and I did have to get use to the snow but if you love the outdoors and going fishing, hiking, boating and still having urban life then IF is a great place. I would move to IF over Albuquerque any day. Albuguergue is way to big for my liking and the only place that I enjoyed there was High Finance on San Dia peak, but I hated the tram ride up there, yuck.

Anyway, Rigby is a very small town but it has newer schools in it. They do have grafiti there and if it were me I would move closer to IF for the schools. My oldest son loves that area but mostly because his grandfather built many of the stake centers and seminaries there in IF. CrazyBro is right about Hillcrest High school! It is a very good school and Ammon is a very nice area to live and raise a family.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifid View Post
Idaho falls is a great place to live.You have everything you need in idaho falls and the winter is not that bad.i moved here from atlanta,georgia and i think id. falls is way better than atl.
Shocking! The winter in Idaho Falls is not that bad... Wow, I'm going to have to remember this quote...

Atlantans don't really experience winter so I'm not sure what you mean unless you are referring to everything but the winter.

I wouldn't live in Atlanta or the Atlanta area either if I had a choice of places anywhere in the U.S. since it's a huge city, the weather is extremely hot and muggy in the summers, etc. I lived in Augusta for a couple of years and if I had a choice between Atlanta and the rest of the state, I would pick Atlanta. Of course it would be hard to not pick the city since it takes up nearly half the state but none the less...

Winters in Idaho Falls can be described as vigorous. Saying it's "not that bad" is not a true assessment. It gets downright cold at times, it gets windy as heck in the spring (if you can call it this), and some winters are heavy with snowfall. I'm sure I can get more than one person to agree with me on this one!

Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
I lived in the IF area for 13 yrs and the winters aren't that bad. .
Sure if you compare Idaho Falls with any city in Alaska...

It's all relative... You have to compare apples with oranges. If you compare Idaho Falls with other locations of it's kind in the state would you consider it in the top 1/3 or bottom 1/3 of places with "good" winters? If you compared the city to other places in the country... Is it in the top 1/3 or bottom 1/3?

I would say it is in the bottom 1/3. Sheesh, 2/3 of the country is south of Idaho as it is.

The thing that got me about I.F. having lived there for over 20 years is THE WIND. It really gets to you after awhile. It gets so windy for so long, i.e. eating dust and barely standing up straight, that it gets to you. Man, and the fact that everything looks dreary and bleak for 7 months. That's more than half the year. Anyone who says they think I.F. is a great place to live because of the winters either spends all their time indoors or is such a HUGE outdoor enthusiest that they don't know any different. I think the average person would not like the winters in E. Idaho or in I.F.

Nothing wrong with saying winters are tolerable but let's put things into perspective...

Old 12-29-2006, 04:47 PM

241 posts, read 948,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye View Post
es. If you compare Idaho Falls with other locations of it's kind in the state would you consider it in the top 1/3 or bottom 1/3 of places with "good" winters?

The thing that got me about I.F. having lived there for over 20 years is THE WIND. It really gets to you after awhile. It gets so windy for so long, i.e. eating dust and barely standing up straight, that it gets to you. Man, and the fact that everything looks dreary and bleak for 7 months. That's more than half the year. Anyone who says they think I.F. is a great place to live because of the winters either spends all their time indoors or is such a HUGE outdoor enthusiest that they don't know any different. I think the average person would not like the winters in E. Idaho or in I.F.

Nothing wrong with saying winters are tolerable but let's put things into perspective...

I lived in Ashton ID for 4 yrs and their winter is much worse than IF. The wind in Buhl and Mountain Home is much worse than IF. In Twin Falls county you don't see green unless it is lawns or hay field, it is always brown here and IF isn't that way all yr long or as long as you say. You must have really hated IF to think that poorly of it.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:16 PM

149 posts, read 1,052,655 times
The winters in Idaho Falls are unpleasant -- it's cold, windy, and bleak. I vividly remember the "crunch" of packed snow under my feet while walking out to the bus stop in the morning, all while the hairs in my nose were frozen stiff. There are a lot of places in the US (and ID) where the winters are worse, but if cold, windy winters bother you (and if they don't, I want to meet you!) then IF might not be the best place to live.

I saw more snowfall while I lived in Central Maine compared to IF, but the cold, biting wind was comparable.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 16,915,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace View Post
The winters in Idaho Falls are unpleasant -- it's cold, windy, and bleak. I vividly remember the "crunch" of packed snow under my feet while walking out to the bus stop in the morning, all while the hairs in my nose were frozen stiff. There are a lot of places in the US (and ID) where the winters are worse, but if cold, windy winters bother you (and if they don't, I want to meet you!) then IF might not be the best place to live.

I saw more snowfall while I lived in Central Maine compared to IF, but the cold, biting wind was comparable.
The windy winters don't bother me, granted it can be a biting wind, but not enough to encourage me to move

Comparing to when we moved here in 1991, winters have become "less". Meaning, not anywhere as much snow down here in the valley as back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls