U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 42,999 times

Advertisements

Hello all

We are condsidering relocating to either Idaho Falls or Boise. I'm interested in hearing any opinions you might have on either city. We're in Arizona now and looking for a better place to raise our family. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

D
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2006, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 12,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themotleyshopper
Hello all

We are condsidering relocating to either Idaho Falls or Boise. I'm interested in hearing any opinions you might have on either city. We're in Arizona now and looking for a better place to raise our family. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

D
Either place is great. Boise quite a bit milder as far as weather is concerned, but is not nearly as family friendly as Idaho Falls. If you need the ammenities of a 500,000+ city, Boise is a great option. If you love the outdoors, National Parks, and small town life go Idaho Falls. I grew up in Portland, OR and my wife is from Idaho Falls. We decided to settle down in Idaho Falls 4 years ago and are very happy with our decisions. Cold winters, perfect summers and cheap golf With Salt Lake City and Boise about 3 and a half hours away, we escape to the "big cities" every once and a while but love the idea of raising our family here. Hope that helps a little.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 23,686 times
Shopper,
Boise is small compared to most AZ. citys. Meridian is a nice suburb of boise plus you have lakes, rivers, deserts and snow all around.
Rob Betts
Meridian resident

Old 03-22-2006, 10:44 AM

150 posts, read 607,130 times
We moved ot Vegas recently from Meridian only because of jobs. They downsized our employers back in 2003. Anyway, Meridian is beautiful, green and a great place to live. Had we not had to move for jobs, we never would have left.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 21,784 times
Default I have lived in both cities, and Boise is best!

Don't get me wrong, Idaho Falls is a great little town with alot to offer. However, it simply cannot compete with Boise when it comes to variety and convenience. Idaho Falls had that great small town, tight community feel, but it can be difficult to fit in. Unless you are a member of the majority religion there, (Latter Day Saints-Mormon), you will need to prove yourself. In Boise you have the choice of several unique neighborhoods that will give you that small town feel, in addition to a number of suburbs. Eagle and Meridian in particular are great places to raise kids and be a family. We are big enough here to have all the niceties of a big city, but you don't have most of the problems. By the way, if you really love blowing wind and drifting snow, then you better choose Idaho Falls!

Francis Harlow
[url]removed[/url]

Last edited by Marka; 04-05-2006 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-16-2006, 04:30 PM

13 posts, read 106,576 times
IF you don't mind snow and wind, pick eastern Idaho...if you don't mind "inversion" (smog), pick Boise. They are two very different cities..so much so that you can't even compare.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:56 AM

72 posts, read 268,810 times
Default where are you from in Arizona?

We are considering moving to Boise, or Cottonwood and Prescott Arizona. Looking seriously at both. Job markets not great in both places, wages are low. What part of Arizona are you moving from and why? Just curious maybe you can give me some information to help in my search. I am currently in california. My brother lives in Eagle, Idaho and loves it. Lots of mormons in Idaho, I am not but it does make it hard to start a business. We have 3 kids so that makes moving even more difficult because you want to go where they will thrive. thanks for your help.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:35 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,417,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themotleyshopper View Post
Hello all

Thanks so much.

D
Hi themotleyshopper,

Welcome to the Idaho forum. You don't share information such of whether you have employment in either city, or if you will be working at home. That is the first factor I'd know before I moved anywhere.

Like melaguy, I, too have lived in both cities. Unlike melaguy, I deal in facts not old data and generalizations. I totally disagree about "needing to prove yourself....due to the 'dominate' religion." What a tired, old excuse for not knowing current information, or searching within oneself of what an individual did or didn't do, if something that didn't work out. Please use the search feature in the Idaho Falls sub-forum and read what many non-LDS posters who have lived in Idaho Falls have written. In short, religion isn't an issue in Idaho Falls, some people try to make it an issue where it isn't and some of us are very tired of having to correct the myths some like to spread. F5 posted a great chart showing Pocatello has a higher percentage of LDS than Idaho Falls. Many have posted, the only ones who keep writing such old ideas are those who don't live or work in Idaho Falls. Most LDS don't post here as there is little done in this forum to stop those with an agenda from constantly putting down the LDS Church. You can belong to any church you wish, or no church, and fit in with the Idaho Falls population. There are probably three dozen different churches in Idaho Falls. The fastest growing seems to be one of the Baptist churches.

There is a new LDS temple being built in Meridian or Eagle or somewhere around Boise, giving the Boise Metro two LDS temples when it's built. If you are concerned about LDS, which you did not say you were, it was other posters who interjected their views about religion; but if it matters to you, please ask melaguy or others in the Boise forum where in the Meridian Eagle area the new LDS temple is being built.

Boise wasn't for me at that time in my life, it works for many and not others. I had a close relative move his family from Boise to Denver this spring after some concerns about his work's stability. Again, what you do for work matters the most, from my perspective, as opportunities simply don't exist everywhere in the state for all jobs. You couldn't live in Boise and be employed at the Idaho National Lab, even if your specialty was cybersecurity.

I'm confused by gripster2's comments stating Idaho's Mormon population makes it harder to start a business. gripster2 will have to explain that remark. New businesses that provide needed goods and services do well anywhere in Idaho; businesses that aren't needed will struggle anywhere. gripster2, please explain your comment further so all of us can understand how the active LDS population makes starting a new business more difficult. I'd agree if your business is selling cigarettes or if alcohol sales were private. Otherwise, I don't agree, until you (gripster2) can show us a documented correlation.

Ultimately, themotleyshopper, it's best to come to the Idaho and visit both locations you're considering. You may want to visit NID too. There are valid factors for having one city work better than another, especially if you have a job that has few to no openings in one of the cities. You'll know when you visit which city is best for you and your family. Let us know, in the Idaho Falls forum, when you'll be visiting in Idaho Falls so we can tell you about activities etc. You may want to visit Yellowstone NP or the Grand Teton when you visit the east side of the state.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-18-2015 at 04:45 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 05:38 AM

27,460 posts, read 18,918,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
IF you don't mind snow and wind, pick eastern Idaho...if you don't mind "inversion" (smog), pick Boise. They are two very different cities..so much so that you can't even compare.
This is an overblown generalization, starling.

I have lived in both places for a number of years each, and in the panhandle as well. Snow and wind and inversions happen all the time anywhere in the state. Since Idaho is over 700 miles long from top to bottom, they just don't happen everywhere at the same time.

Motleyshopper:

Here's the deal. The Snake River plateau, from the origins of the river high in the mountains along the Idaho/Wyoming border to the western edge of the state is all higher than the Treasure Valley, the large valley where Boise is located. The plateau is lower at it's western side than the eastern.

Boise City is in a wide hole, surrounded by the plateau to the south, mountains to the east, and another rise in elevation on the E. Oregon/Idaho border. More mountains hem in in northward.

Boise is 2000 feet lower than Idaho Falls, so it's naturally warmer by several degrees all year long. Because cold air sinks and hot air rises, during the winter, Boise sometimes gets log smoggy due to inversions. Most of the time, however, Boise has less breeze than Idaho Falls because it's more sheltered.

This is true only about Boise. If you were to move to any of the nearby cities that lie to the west- Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, etc., you would find them all to be slightly higher, so they are a bit cooler and more breezy.

Idaho Falls lies on the edge of a large series of hills that gradually rise to the Great Divide, which runs along the eastern boundary of the state. Because the terrain is more exposed, it's breezier. Because it's 2000 feet higher, it's always a few degrees cooler. Idaho Falls, being so close to the Snake's headwaters, is a bit greener than the area surrounding Boise. Boise, being in a hole, tends to be more humid, because there is less breeze.

Winter is winter in Idaho. The entire state can be very cold and can be very snowy. The entire state is also dry, just as most of the west is.
Since idaho is the most mountainous state in the lower 48, and all its cities' locations exist because they all have some way to grow, the city life here isn't much different in any of our larger towns. Most of our towns are quite small and many are remotely located.

The biggest differences between them is: Boise is now a full metroplex. Boise and the surrounds are now as large as Portland was 30 years ago, and it acts and feels like a typical city of a half-million people. That number includes some of the former small towns that are now absorbed into the metro- Eagle, Star, Meridian, Garden City. Nampa and Caldwell are only 20 miles away. Boise proper has 200,000 people.

Idaho Falls is a small town that's in its early stages of becoming a typical city. Idaho Falls' population is 57,000, and surrounding Bonneville County's population totals about 500,000. Idaho Falls is surrounded by its own small towns, Ammon, Lincoln, Iona, Shelley, Ribgy and Firth. Like Boise, some of the nearby towns are in other counties.

For Idaho, both are large. Both are hub cities, but Idaho Falls is a hub for a huge area that extends into Montana and Wyoming. Boise has all the amenities of a typical city of its size, while Idaho Falls has almost the same amenities due to its large service area. Since Boise is bigger, it just has more of them.

Both are technologically advanced. Both serve big agriculture. Both are doing well in employment, and both are growing fast. Both are nice places to live, as both have rivers that run through them, lots of parks, lots of recreational activities, and lots of civic arts happening. Both have city amenities like museums and the like.

The biggest difference of all is Boise feels like a city now, while Idaho Falls still feels more like the small town it once was. Another big difference is Boise isn't close to some big national parks and Idaho Falls is.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:22 AM

719 posts, read 1,399,044 times
Holy old thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Another big difference is Boise isn't close to some big national parks and Idaho Falls is.
This is somewhat meangless, because Boise is close to wilderness areas that are just as impressive as the national parks near Idaho Falls, and a lot less crowded. I'd rather go to the Sawtooths than the Tetons anytime, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls