U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Advance, NC
18 posts, read 24,182 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

We are relocating to Idaho Falls from South Georgia. We have found a new home in the Stonebrook subdivision.
Apparently we are on the border line of school zones and have a choice to send our daughter to either Idaho Falls High School, or Skyline.
Any advice or comments on these schools would greatly be appreciated. Thanks..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
27,063 posts, read 18,356,664 times
Reputation: 21149
Hi, Clem...
Both schools are equal in teaching quality, but I.F. High is the older building. From Stonebrook, Skyline is probably closer, but I would check on how many students go to each school; it may be that one or the other has a lower number of kids, which may mean smaller class sizes.

The Idaho Falls Civic Auditorium is attached to I.F., and I.F. also has a Little Theater. Some school events are held in the auditorium, and both schools hold graduation at the auditorium. Football games for both schools are held at Ravsten Stadium, behind I.F. (Cross town rivalry, of course. The winning team gets to paint the goal posts.)

Your daughter would probably be bussed to either school, and both are pretty far walking distances away. Both have good sized parking lots if she drives.

You may want to talk to your neighbors about which school their kids attend; it's possible those neighborhood kids would be your daughter's first friends, and that could make a difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 05:09 AM
 
11 posts, read 21,839 times
Reputation: 10
Academically the schools are very similar. What you will run into is a very deep rivalry between the schools. We lived in Idaho Falls for 15 years and in that time I met several people that limited their housing choices due to the high school their children would go to,not because of the education, but because of the teams/school competition.

Check each school out and aim for the one your children like best.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,258,667 times
Reputation: 6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAClem View Post
We are relocating to Idaho Falls from South Georgia. We have found a new home in the Stonebrook subdivision.
Apparently we are on the border line of school zones and have a choice to send our daughter to either Idaho Falls High School, or Skyline.
Any advice or comments on these schools would greatly be appreciated. Thanks..
Hi UGAClem -

Nice name . I have some ties to the SEC and the educational strengths of various universities. If it doesn't apply, my error.

Speaking of school, if I were you, I'd contact the schools directly. You know what you want for your children and what they want in school better than any of us. Ask them directly about SAT scores, sports, facilities - all the things that matter to your family.

Here is the link to the Idaho Falls schools, District #91: Idaho Falls School District 91

While this doesn't apply to you those looking at living outside of the Idaho Falls City limits would need to look at District #93.

I hope that helps and good luck

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,295 times
Reputation: 10
UGACLEM, Just curious about your move and decision. We are moving this summer, and my son will be a freshman. Just wondering how the move and transition has gone. We too are on the border of schools.

Any advice or comments are appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,258,667 times
Reputation: 6280
Default Friends other Limiting Obstacles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryrose247 View Post
UGACLEM, Just curious about your move and decision. We are moving this summer, and my son will be a freshman. Just wondering how the move and transition has gone. We too are on the border of schools.

Any advice or comments are appreciated!
Hi cherryrose 247. Welcome to the Idaho Falls forum. Unfortunately, parents frequently ask but few return to post answers. I hope you will when you're settled.

Skyline is undergoing a $ 2 million remodel right now. When you check on schools, I'd encourage to ask about that factor.

Both have produced well educated students, including Rhodes Scholars and more. I think big parts of high school are friends and after school activities. How will your son be getting to and from the school and those activities? That may answer your question.

It is nice to go to school where the neighbors do. I'd encourage you to contact the Realtor who sold you yyor house and ask that person where the neighbors, your son's age, go to school.

There is a rivalry between all the area high schools like anywhere else. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Good luck in your move

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2014, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Advance, NC
18 posts, read 24,182 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryrose247 View Post
UGACLEM, Just curious about your move and decision. We are moving this summer, and my son will be a freshman. Just wondering how the move and transition has gone. We too are on the border of schools.

Any advice or comments are appreciated!
Hi Cherryrose, My apologies for the slow response.
As for our move, it went great. We are enjoying the area and the new sites. So much to do here if you an out doors type person. The winter was a little tough due to where we moved from and that it was the first time myself and family had ever seen snow in person. However we made the best of it and did a lot to enjoy it.
We have had a few issues with moving to the area. Mostly due to not being Mormon. (let me first say I have nothing against Mormons before I continue. This is just honest answers and honest statements from what we have been subject to) Our neighbors have never spoken to me or my wife without us engaging them first, nor welcomed us to the neighborhood. Which is fine because coming straight off the farm we are not use to having neighbors anyway. However my youngest daughter who attends Sunnyside Elementary which is located in our neighborhood has caught some grief from the kids about not being Mormon. Such as being told she is wrong, she is going to hell etc..... It takes it's toll on her sometimes but she is a strong faithful person and holds strong to her southern baptist ways and moves on. She forgives and forgets and still trys to be their friends anyway. Just as she was raised. Its amazing how judgmental kids and adults are here about religion. I came straight from the bible belt and it was never that way back home. Other differences my wife and I are not too happy with is the disrespect of the local kids and teens. I am not use to children answering me and my wife with "what" "huh" "yes" or "no". However I have solved that by letting them all know that in my house my wife and I are to be answered with "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am". Call me old fashion but that is just how we roll.

Our oldest daughter however attends Hillcrest. He has had a wonderful time. She was accepted by "most" all her piers. So much so she was voted homecoming to represent the sophomore class within the first 6 weeks of school. She had a great year of cheer leading and stayed very active with that. We have learned through both our kids that the school system is WAY to laid back. This open campus thing is a complete mistake. Kids are free to come and go as they please. Many (not all) teachers seem to just take their time and grade papers whenever they get around to it. When you check you kids grades online it will show a much lower grade than what they actually have because all the assignments will be listed as zero's until the grade goes in which could be weeks. So bare with your kids on that one.. We made the mistake in grounding her one time due to low grades until we spoke with the teachers and were explained the zero's. Cell phones in most classes are allowed to be out which is complete stupid in my opinion. There are some other small things we are trying to get use to but all in all its been good.


Besides the few things listed we are not happy with, let me be sure to tell you there are many more things we are happy with. The weather in the spring summer and fall are awesome. My youngest daughter and myself love the snow in the winter. Wife and oldest daughter not to much.. (note to self, snowballs to wife and teenagers face = bad idea regardless of how funny it is) However they do enjoy the 4 seasons now. Which in south Georgia the only seasons you had were February and Summer!! A day drive contains the most awesome sites we have ever seen. Hikes are fun and exhausting, Bike rides are enjoyable through the neighborhoods and trails. We have interesting conversations with locals due to accent differences. They laugh at my "y'all", and laugh at their "these-ones" and "those-ones" phrases. And there are two E's in creek people. Its pronounced creeeeeek not crek. Ha...

Hope this helps.. If not maybe it helped me..


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,258,667 times
Reputation: 6280
Question Helpful Post to All

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAClem View Post
Hi Cherryrose, My apologies for the slow response.
As for our move, it went great. We are enjoying the area and the new sites. So much to do here if you an out doors type person. The winter was a little tough due to where we moved from and that it was the first time myself and family had ever seen snow in person. However we made the best of it and did a lot to enjoy it.
We have had a few issues with moving to the area. Mostly due to not being Mormon. (let me first say I have nothing against Mormons before I continue. This is just honest answers and honest statements from what we have been subject to) Our neighbors have never spoken to me or my wife without us engaging them first, nor welcomed us to the neighborhood. Which is fine because coming straight off the farm we are not use to having neighbors anyway. However my youngest daughter who attends Sunnyside Elementary which is located in our neighborhood has caught some grief from the kids about not being Mormon. Such as being told she is wrong, she is going to hell etc..... It takes it's toll on her sometimes but she is a strong faithful person and holds strong to her southern baptist ways and moves on. She forgives and forgets and still trys to be their friends anyway. Just as she was raised. Its amazing how judgmental kids and adults are here about religion. I came straight from the bible belt and it was never that way back home. Other differences my wife and I are not too happy with is the disrespect of the local kids and teens. I am not use to children answering me and my wife with "what" "huh" "yes" or "no". However I have solved that by letting them all know that in my house my wife and I are to be answered with "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am". Call me old fashion but that is just how we roll.

Our oldest daughter however attends Hillcrest. He has had a wonderful time. She was accepted by "most" all her piers. So much so she was voted homecoming to represent the sophomore class within the first 6 weeks of school. She had a great year of cheer leading and stayed very active with that. We have learned through both our kids that the school system is WAY to laid back. This open campus thing is a complete mistake. Kids are free to come and go as they please. Many (not all) teachers seem to just take their time and grade papers whenever they get around to it. When you check you kids grades online it will show a much lower grade than what they actually have because all the assignments will be listed as zero's until the grade goes in which could be weeks. So bare with your kids on that one.. We made the mistake in grounding her one time due to low grades until we spoke with the teachers and were explained the zero's. Cell phones in most classes are allowed to be out which is complete stupid in my opinion. There are some other small things we are trying to get use to but all in all its been good.


Besides the few things listed we are not happy with, let me be sure to tell you there are many more things we are happy with. The weather in the spring summer and fall are awesome. My youngest daughter and myself love the snow in the winter. Wife and oldest daughter not to much.. (note to self, snowballs to wife and teenagers face = bad idea regardless of how funny it is) However they do enjoy the 4 seasons now. Which in south Georgia the only seasons you had were February and Summer!! A day drive contains the most awesome sites we have ever seen. Hikes are fun and exhausting, Bike rides are enjoyable through the neighborhoods and trails. We have interesting conversations with locals due to accent differences. They laugh at my "y'all", and laugh at their "these-ones" and "those-ones" phrases. And there are two E's in creek people. Its pronounced creeeeeek not crek. Ha...

Hope this helps.. If not maybe it helped me..


UGACLEM,

I think your post is helpful to all. So sorry your younger daughter has encountered what she has.

Hopefully, you talked to other Baptist parents or a pastor for advice about your younger daughter. Calvary Baptist offers K - 12th grade for students. You may want to consider it for a year or two, if not longer.

I couldn't agree more about how kids throughout the U.S. address, or fail to address adults. That is not a problem that is strictly in Idaho. I've lived in other states where it was a bigger problem. But good for you and your wife for making your rules known for how children are to address you in your home

It sounds like your older daughter has had some positive experiences. I'm happy for her. Are you in D # 93 to be in Hillcrest's area? Good for you opening your home to kids of all faiths and backgrounds. Sometimes older kids can "problem solve" together about how your younger daughter may respond at school.

Let me be very clear, I don't expect you to follow the advice of teens; however, informal discussions at your home can be a dinner topic in other homes. Turning eight y.o. is a big deal for LDS Children as it is when they are baptized. It sounds to me like some kiddos nearing that age have repeated some of what parents teach children prior to baptism not intending to shut your daughter out vs. potentially include her in their life event. I'd encourage you to talk to parents of other children to both explain your daughter's experience and let them talk about their child's experiences.

I am glad you never saw anything like this in your former state. I can name endless encounters of people who were asked about their "Home Baptist Church, " in the states where they are living or lived. Then the things "good Baptists" said - well some were shocking after the year 2000. There have been several other things these non-Baptists adults and children have been told.that weren't exactly welcoming.

Do I think you or your family said some of the hurtful things? No. But others did. Have I said anything hurtfull to your children? No. I know what other adults said to me in other states.

Maybe there is a bigger take home message here....

Please feel free to encourage other adults and parents to teach Manners everywhere! And why kids need any phone beyond a basic phone, continues to puzzle me. Lots of us survived in ID as kids with no phones as a minor.

I hope your family has a great summer as this past winter was something like the third worst ever or something like that. It was hard on everyone.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Advance, NC
18 posts, read 24,182 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Calvary Baptist offers K - 12th grade for students. You may want to consider it for a year or two, if not longer.
She is already on the list and plans to start next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Are you in D # 93 to be in Hillcrest's area?
No we are not in D 93. We live in D 91 but had her waived in based on the discussions we had with locals and after visiting the schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2014, 09:25 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,258,667 times
Reputation: 6280
Default Glad She On The List!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAClem View Post
She is already on the list and plans to start next year.



No we are not in D 93. We live in D 91 but had her waived in based on the discussions we had with locals and after visiting the schools.
Very interesting you're in D # 91 and parents and their daughters have been lived in D #93, received your oldest daughter so well Most likely an Idaho teen or two was dreaming of the opportunities your oldest daughter received.

I don't know how much you've thought about that aspect of your daughter accomplishing what sbe's accomplished at Hillcrest. Good for her and the other students and their parents.

Hopefully, you have great family activities, as well as those with your Baptist Church all summer long. If given the chance, PLEASE sign up to give a lesson on manners in Community Ed or the schools. There are one day workshops on Sat. Kids with or without religion, and their parents, can benefit in learning manners!

I'm glad you-re here, UGAClem. You have a lot to offer the community. Besides, since you essentially stated above no Baptist where you have lived treated outsiders as your youngest daughter was treated, I'm glad to have you as a resource to understand more about how Baptists in other states have treated some very near and dear to me. More than one family and in different states. Maybe I'll send you a PM sometime and ask what certain phrases, "Home Churches Competing with each Other," and more terms and actions mean.

For now, I'd encourage you to discuss any further comments of children to your youngest daughter, with the parents of those children. Respectful discussions can occur at anytime. You might find some LDS parents who insist they are called by their appropriate titles too

I think Calvary Baptist is going to have to expand given the demand. You might want to try the other options ranging from Holy Rosary and other church elementary schools to Montisouri or other Charter or options. I'm a little confused what stopped you from moving your daughter elsewhere, given your description above.

Your feedback is very valuable. Thanks for posting.......I hope you will again and frequently

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-04-2014 at 09:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top