Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM

385 posts, read 522,528 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Raleigh, NC to Idaho Falls soon -- relatively sight unseen (been to Twin Falls and Pocatello though). Hoping you helpful folks can help point me in the right direction for a nice, safe, quiet 2 bedroom (one for the bed, one for the office) apartment or townhome in a good part of town. Garage or covered parking would be nice.

I plan on renting for a year and then look to buy a house, once I get to know the area better. A place close to shopping would be nice, but not required. I am living alone, no kids, so proximity to good schools and kids activities aren't a factor.

Your message board has been quite helpful so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,153,599 times
I just saw a peach this morning!
It is an older (1970-80s) , but very nice looking, duplex on S. Rollandet Ave., just off of Gustafson Dr., a couple of blocks south of the Tautphaus Park zoo. Tautphaus is our largest city park, and there's a zoo located in the S.E. corner.

The duplex is brick, and looked to be quite roomy. Sorry- I don't have a phone number or anything for it. There are several duplexes there in a group. There are also quite a few townhouses that lie between Sunnyside and 17th St; depending on the individual location, that area is pretty good, but has a lot of traffic, as 17th is a main drag for shopping.

There are also some nice townhouses right next to Freeman Park, another large city park that lies on the banks of the Snake river. I don't know if any are available, but they are located off of Fremont Ave. on the N.E. side of town. The location is close to the INL headquarters building.

3 Fountains, an older condominium complex just off of Woodruff Ave. and 17th, may have some rentals. It was built in the 70's, but they're pretty nice; several friends have lived (or live) there. Woodruff is also a commercial/ residential main thoroughfare that has several apartment/townhouse complexes along it. There are quite a few duplexes in town as well, scattered all over.

Eagle's Landing, in Ammon, has a brand new complex of apartments and town houses.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-20-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM

39 posts, read 79,407 times
When we moved here we rented a twin home (duplex) with a 2 car garage in Ammon. What is your price range?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM

385 posts, read 522,528 times
Thanks for the great post, banjomike! I checked out the website for Eagles Landing and those look pretty good. I also looked through a few other threads to read up on the subtle differences between IF and Ammon. Looks like taxes won't be a big deal but power is more expensive in Ammon?

It also looks like Ammon is more or less a part of Idaho Falls -- you can't really tell where one starts and one ends. Sort of like Chubbuck is to Pocatello

Michelle -- while I'd like to keep it under $800/month, I'd be willing to pay a little more for amenities like square footage, garage, some sort of back yard/patio/deck, etc. Can you tell me more about twin homes? I'm not familiar with those

Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,153,599 times
Hi, tmp...
Ammon's comparison to Chubbuck is pretty good. Ammon elects it's own mayor and city council, taxes differently, and uses Idaho power instead of Idaho Falls power. Idaho Falls is a power generator, and our electric rates are very low as a result. Ammon also has it's own sewer and water, and I believe garbage collection is done by a contractor. All of those are done by the city in I.F.

I think you'll find a lot of choices at around $800 or lower here for what you have described. There are lots I didn't mention. I suggest you contact the Idaho Falls chamber of commerce and get a list of realtors and housing management companies if you can. That way, you may be able to cut down your time by consolidating your drive-bys and looking around.

Welcome to Idaho Falls! I once had a serious girlfriend in Raleigh, many moons ago, and have some fond memories of the town and area.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,607,056 times
Probably the nicest apartments in IF are at the Meadows on Hoopes. A 1-Br is usually around 640-700, a little more for a two. Very well-maintained, and w/d inside most units, a hot tub, and pool in the adjacent co-owned property across the street. Please check them out and then email me so I can get the move-in reference bonus! (later details, if you indeed choose this! )

http://www.meadowsatparkwood.com/

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 PM

Twin homes are like duplexes, two homes sharing one wall. You will end up with a yard to tend to thatcan can be just as large as a home. They are scattered all over both Ammon and IF. Electricity was more when we were in Ammon in addition to the water. Water/trash/sewer was 90, here in IF in a 5 bedroom home my water/sewer/trash/electricity was 130. I also saw some new construction on two story town homes in IF behind Smith's off of Woodruff. For my own preferences I would opt for a twin home or townhome over an apartment for privacy. sidewalls shared rather than floor/cieling. We payed 895 for 3 bedrooms 2 baths at about 1350 square feet but we had limited time and selection at that point. Without knowing anyone here prior to moving I only wanted to deal with a rental company rather than an owner etc. I am sure you can find something nice for your budget.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,647,255 times
Default wow, utilities are really cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellewheatley View Post
Twin homes are like duplexes, two homes sharing one wall. You will end up with a yard to tend to thatcan can be just as large as a home. They are scattered all over both Ammon and IF. Electricity was more when we were in Ammon in addition to the water. Water/trash/sewer was 90, here in IF in a 5 bedroom home my water/sewer/trash/electricity was 130. I also saw some new construction on two story town homes in IF behind Smith's off of Woodruff. For my own preferences I would opt for a twin home or townhome over an apartment for privacy. sidewalls shared rather than floor/cieling. We payed 895 for 3 bedrooms 2 baths at about 1350 square feet but we had limited time and selection at that point. Without knowing anyone here prior to moving I only wanted to deal with a rental company rather than an owner etc. I am sure you can find something nice for your budget.
Michelle, here in Dallas we pay around $75 for w/s/t and electric runs from about $60 in the winter to close to $300 in the summer. We live in a three bedroom, 1800 sq ft duplex. Gas runs from about $25 in the summer to around $150-$200 in the winter.

We are definitely looking forward to lower utility bills---especially as we hope to move into a much smaller place, say 1100 sq ft or less---and hopefully for a lot less money than we are paying for rent, too! Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Michelle, here in Dallas we pay around $75 for w/s/t and electric runs from about $60 in the winter to close to $300 in the summer. We live in a three bedroom, 1800 sq ft duplex. Gas runs from about $25 in the summer to around $150-$200 in the winter.

We are definitely looking forward to lower utility bills---especially as we hope to move into a much smaller place, say 1100 sq ft or less---and hopefully for a lot less money than we are paying for rent, too! Thanks for sharing.
My gas bill this past month was only 80. We did just build this home and for that very reason, that it would be energy efficient especially with the extreme cold we have seen this winter. Coming from California everything is quite a bit cheaper. Our car insurance is about 100 less a month and our vehicle registration is only $36 for one year. The only reason we are considering moving back is we have young children and no real support system out here. I actually thought once we moved here more of our family would follow but that's just not realistic at this point, otherwise I would not even consider leaving!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 16,473 times
We lived in 3 bed 2 bath at eagle landing for a year. We were able to get a garage the biggest on end I think our rent was just under 1000. Location was great. Staff was awesome!! Very reliable. Manager Melissa was so sweet! Only down ...if you try to come home or leave when Hillcrest high gets out it might take awhile as it is right across street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls