U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,685,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
banjomike gives a great description of the area. I am originally from Idaho Falls and the mountains as mentioned are more in the distance and the hills near Ammon are just- well hills. The larger mountains are in the backdrop but never far away. Basically, Idaho Falls is flat much like Twin Falls is but that does not mean scenery is lacking at all.

Pocatello is at the base of foothills leading up to higher mountains and some of those hill/mountain areas by Pocatello are really beautiful. For instance, the area between Pocatello and southeast towards Lava Hot Springs is very scenic.

banjo is spot on about the Lost Rivers, White Clouds, Sawtooths, and the large number of other mountain ranges west of Idaho Falls which are in central Idaho. These are among the states most gorgeous and grandest mountains and more beautiful and expansive and wild than the Tetons in my humble opinion, although the Tetons are a sight to behold.
Hey TohobitPeak, It's nice to see you posting here

Banjomike always has great info as does Cleosmom and others. It depends on what we've each personally experienced or know.

I'm wondering if when you reference the area between Pocatello and Lava Hot Springs as scenic are you referring to backroads or the interstate? Either are ok, I'm just trying to understand better as so many accidents occur in the McCammon area given driver fatigue from the flat area of the interstate being the same from essentially Malad to McCammon.

It may well be you've traveled roads I've not in that area and I'd be interested to know where you accessed them.

I agree with you that Idaho Falls is flat; however, to my untrained eye, the Ammon foothills are comparable to what one drives through in Pocatello. I do agree in the McCammon area there are hills/ ?Mtns. very close to the I-15, but overall, I think I'm a little confused. Are you referencing the Caribou Forest? If you can, please share where you'd recommend driving (or existing) I-15 to enjoy what you've experienced.

I like the Sawtooths as well. If one wants first class rafting, Central ID offers so much as well as some spectacular scenery. The Tetons will always be first for me. We're lucky to have internationally and nationally recognized mountains to view in ID compared to those who have only read about mountains

Thanks - some really good info added to this thread by those who posted earlier.

MSR
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I've traveled all of the route up to Kemmerer before. Once had to come back from Jackson (wintertime) and had to come down 89 to Montpelier then on to Kemmerer and southwards due to 189 in Wyoming being closed by snow. We lived twelve years in the Denver area, so are familiar with snow and both our current vehicles are all wheel drive.

So, all though I know it's possible to have some sort of early winter event in early to mid-September, they are still relatively unusual and don't stay around long. The purpose of the drive from Dallas all the way through is to check out again the drive from Green River up through Kemmerer and on to Pocatello/Idaho Falls. Because the next time I drive it will be in a 20 ft U-Haul truck! The rest of the trip is all highway and I'm not overly concerned with it.

When we moved from Denver to Dallas we took a U-Haul down I-25 and crossed NM on 87/287 and on to Denver. So I've driven two lane roads with a moving truck, but I just want to check it out again for places to stop, potential emergency help, etc. We hope to move in late April/ early May of 2014.

Probably would make more sense for us to move back to Kentucky where the wife has a lot of family, but we've been adventurers all our lives, and we both like the mountains---she flat out loves snow!! And the Tetons are our favorite place to vacation. Living close will be more conducive to doing that often. We even went there in late Nov/early Dec one year -- spitting snow when we drove up through CO/UT into Wyoming and on to Jackson--that was the trip we had to detour on the way home.

For this trip I've already got reservations at the Red Lion in Pocatello, but after your post I'm thinking IF may be a better choice for us for healthcare and may cancel those reservations to stay in IF instead.
We are already planning to visit property management companies, doctors, banks, grocery stores, fitness centers, etc. We've moved with planning and without planning---works a lot better with an agenda and plenty of planning. Even then there are surprises.

And knowing the area is LDS, I would very much like to attend some services somewhere. We have both been Baptist most of our lives, but I've always admired the lifestyle of practicing LDS members and would just like to experience a service. Don't know if they allow visitors or not, but I'd like to learn a little more. The wife's current boss (CEO of the hospital she works at) is LDS and speaks highly of SE Idaho and had a daughter who attended BYU-Idaho in Rexburg. Plus the woman she has just hired to start training to take over her position is LDS AND attended BYU in Rexburg. So we are getting a little information about the area. Haven't asked any of them about attending services though.

Thanks for sharing and making valuable suggestions.
Wardendresden,

You're welcome for anything I might have suggested. I wanted to answer a couple of your questions and pose some additional information for you to consider.

As far as hotels, and I did read below you have changed your reservation to Idaho Falls, you might want to get some input from those who know about the hotels. Basically, you can stay by the river with the chain hotels. There are also 3 other hotels by the mall, hospitals and are in the residential area of Idaho Falls and Ammon. I don't know how you make decisions about hotels and whether you use points accrued or other. You will have different experiences being immediately accessible to the Greenbelt and River vs. having the Idaho Falls/Ammon border literally within blocks.

Obviously, I have favorites like others and stayed for many years in hotels in Idaho Falls as I was doing contract work in many intermountain cities and it is funny how relatives can misunderstand one isn't there to catch up on the latest weekly news etc. vs. working. Hotels have helped me create boundaries better for me and my work, even when I own property close by.

Along with others who have been so helpful, I'd recommend PW72 as a good resource for this info too. PW72 use to live in Pocatello and moved to Idaho Falls. PW72 has an insight to both cities as only a resident that may be benefical to you.

Both you and your wife would be welcome to attend a Sunday service in an LDS Church. Given her connections at work and the timing of the trip, she might want to address the issue with her boss and get personally connected with someone in Idaho Falls to attend a Sunday meeting. If you do decide to stay in the more residential hotels, there is an LDS church close by. Visitors are welcome at that church and any other LDS church. I can't think of simple directions to explain where an LDS church would be closer to the hotels by the river and greenbelt on the westside of the Snake River. That doesn't mean the hotel staff couldn't give you directions to a church more on the westside of Idaho Falls. Or, I think there is one on Memorial Drive which is across the river from many of the hotels. The hotel staff would know. LDS women wear a skirt or dress to church, which is different from many religions, just an FYI.

I admire you being so adventuresome, while researching your way to those adventures!

MSR

Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM

3,970 posts, read 13,031,632 times
Idaho Falls is positioned to be a job producer as we come out of the great recession. The real estate market is pent up, and is likely to explode in the next 5 years. However, you must have the skills needed, and a local residency will help beyond belief. Show that you have the right skills for the job, show that you are located here, and the sky is the limit.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,132,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hey TohobitPeak, It's nice to see you posting here

Banjomike always has great info as does Cleosmom and others. It depends on what we've each personally experienced or know.

I'm wondering if when you reference the area between Pocatello and Lava Hot Springs as scenic are you referring to backroads or the interstate? Either are ok, I'm just trying to understand better as so many accidents occur in the McCammon area given driver fatigue from the flat area of the interstate being the same from essentially Malad to McCammon.

It may well be you've traveled roads I've not in that area and I'd be interested to know where you accessed them.

I agree with you that Idaho Falls is flat; however, to my untrained eye, the Ammon foothills are comparable to what one drives through in Pocatello. I do agree in the McCammon area there are hills/ ?Mtns. very close to the I-15, but overall, I think I'm a little confused. Are you referencing the Caribou Forest? If you can, please share where you'd recommend driving (or existing) I-15 to enjoy what you've experienced.

I like the Sawtooths as well. If one wants first class rafting, Central ID offers so much as well as some spectacular scenery. The Tetons will always be first for me. We're lucky to have internationally and nationally recognized mountains to view in ID compared to those who have only read about mountains

Thanks - some really good info added to this thread by those who posted earlier.

MSR

Thanks MSR, I'm happy to offer my opinions in threads that pertain to my hometown Most of the people here offer great advice.

The scenic area(s) I am referring to is I-15 from Pocatello heading south towards the state line and the areas east towards Lava and Soda Springs and even down to Preston. The interstate is in the flat bottom area of a narrow valley with the tall ridge of the Portneuf Range rising to the east and the Bannock Range rising to the west. Much of the area between I-15 to the WY state line is beautiful and to the west the Bannock Range has a lot of hidden scenic qualities to explore. The drive on I-15 from Blackfoot to Idaho Falls is much more flat and the vistas are wide open. I remember growing up that there would be a lot of car crashes in Hells Half Acre lava flow between Blackfoot and Idaho Falls because of fatigue or weather conditions, and then the highway workers dynamited some of the lava that was close to the Interstate.

The mountains that rise above Pocatello and moreso towards Inkom are much taller then the hills near Ammon. The taller mountains are more in the distance heading towards Heise and the Kelly Canyon area in the Caribou-Targhee National Forest. If I remember correctly this area is called the Big Hole Mountains. I will have to get my Idaho Atlas out to verify. Pocatello is situated against and extends up in to the foothills that surround the town. Having grown up in Idaho Falls, I know how some people who have I.F. pride look down upon Poky Both towns have their strong attributes and weaknesses.

The foothills and mountains seen from Ammon in the near distance are I believe called the Blackfoot Mountains and that is where Wolverine Canyon is. Taylor Mountain or Mt Taylor is a prominent peak visible in the distance. No doubt that the areas outside of Idaho Falls are beautiful. Swan Valley is one of my favorites.

I'm a huge Idaho fan and have traveled all over the state and study mountain areas for new places to check out. It is often said that the Sawtooth Mountains and Wilderness is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Central Idaho is mind boggling considering the countless mountain ranges and water sheds and roadless wilderness areas. All of us in Southern Idaho from Boise to Idaho Falls are fortunate to have this idyllic playground smack dab in the middle of our state with easy access for all.

I am sorry if I rambled on too long, I am relaxing at home in Boise enjoying a nice Idaho red wine from Sunnyslope and am feeling good

Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 AM

28,148 posts, read 19,877,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Thanks MSR, I'm happy to offer my opinions in threads that pertain to my hometown Most of the people here offer great advice.

The scenic area(s) I am referring to is I-15 from Pocatello heading south towards the state line and the areas east towards Lava and Soda Springs and even down to Preston. The interstate is in the flat bottom area of a narrow valley with the tall ridge of the Portneuf Range rising to the east and the Bannock Range rising to the west. Much of the area between I-15 to the WY state line is beautiful and to the west the Bannock Range has a lot of hidden scenic qualities to explore. The drive on I-15 from Blackfoot to Idaho Falls is much more flat and the vistas are wide open. I remember growing up that there would be a lot of car crashes in Hells Half Acre lava flow between Blackfoot and Idaho Falls because of fatigue or weather conditions, and then the highway workers dynamited some of the lava that was close to the Interstate.

The mountains that rise above Pocatello and moreso towards Inkom are much taller then the hills near Ammon. The taller mountains are more in the distance heading towards Heise and the Kelly Canyon area in the Caribou-Targhee National Forest. If I remember correctly this area is called the Big Hole Mountains. I will have to get my Idaho Atlas out to verify. Pocatello is situated against and extends up in to the foothills that surround the town. Having grown up in Idaho Falls, I know how some people who have I.F. pride look down upon Poky Both towns have their strong attributes and weaknesses.

The foothills and mountains seen from Ammon in the near distance are I believe called the Blackfoot Mountains and that is where Wolverine Canyon is. Taylor Mountain or Mt Taylor is a prominent peak visible in the distance. No doubt that the areas outside of Idaho Falls are beautiful. Swan Valley is one of my favorites.

I'm a huge Idaho fan and have traveled all over the state and study mountain areas for new places to check out. It is often said that the Sawtooth Mountains and Wilderness is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Central Idaho is mind boggling considering the countless mountain ranges and water sheds and roadless wilderness areas. All of us in Southern Idaho from Boise to Idaho Falls are fortunate to have this idyllic playground smack dab in the middle of our state with easy access for all.

I am sorry if I rambled on too long, I am relaxing at home in Boise enjoying a nice Idaho red wine from Sunnyslope and am feeling good
Another great post, tohobit!
I'm glad you mentioned Swan Valley. The Palisades area (of which Swan Valley is a part) is too often overlooked when talking about the scenic places in this area, and it is also a real favorite of mine. The Snake River Canyon has some truly grand and beautiful sights all along the road that leads to Swan Valley.

I'm afraid it's not going to be so pristine forever; the millionaires in Jackson Hole are selling out to the billionaires and are buying places up all over Palisades, and there isn't a lot of private property available to start with. Conant Valley, the glorius little hole just north of Swan Valley, was bought up by one from the family who homesteaded it and has lived there for 100 years, and the South Fork Lodge was purchased from the Warners about 10 years or more ago.

While the Blackfoot mountains aren't as spectacular as some others, the road to Bone and beyond is a grand cruise that goes all the way south to Soda Springs. That very long and high hanging valley is still what the west was a century ago when the Bone road was the stage route to Idaho Falls. Grey's lake, in the heart of the Blackfoots, is the place where all the whooping cranes were re-introduced back into the wild as part of the bird's recovery from near extinction. They are there all summer- taking a pair of binoculars is a must if you decide to drive the Grey's Lake road. They stand out like white beacons amidst the flocks of sandhill cranes.

All of these places are wonderful to have for an excuse to take a nice drive.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM

10,688 posts, read 6,953,772 times
Default Excited about visit

Banjo, Tohibit, MSR--

Thanks much for all the terrific descriptions. We will mostly be visiting IF and area with specific specific searches in mind, but we will have one full weekend to do a little sightseeing as well. We now have so many choices I feel like a blind dog in a meathouse. I don't know which way to turn!

September appears to be an ideal time to visit with average highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's, with less than an inch of rain on average. Twelve hours of daylight. That is one thing we will need to adjust to---slightly longer days throughout the summer, slightly longer nights throughout the winter--even more so than when we lived in Colorado.

But all the great posts have us very excited to visit your great state.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Another great post, tohobit!
I'm glad you mentioned Swan Valley. The Palisades area (of which Swan Valley is a part) is too often overlooked when talking about the scenic places in this area, and it is also a real favorite of mine. The Snake River Canyon has some truly grand and beautiful sights all along the road that leads to Swan Valley.

I'm afraid it's not going to be so pristine forever; the millionaires in Jackson Hole are selling out to the billionaires and are buying places up all over Palisades, and there isn't a lot of private property available to start with. Conant Valley, the glorius little hole just north of Swan Valley, was bought up by one from the family who homesteaded it and has lived there for 100 years, and the South Fork Lodge was purchased from the Warners about 10 years or more ago.

While the Blackfoot mountains aren't as spectacular as some others, the road to Bone and beyond is a grand cruise that goes all the way south to Soda Springs. That very long and high hanging valley is still what the west was a century ago when the Bone road was the stage route to Idaho Falls. Grey's lake, in the heart of the Blackfoots, is the place where all the whooping cranes were re-introduced back into the wild as part of the bird's recovery from near extinction. They are there all summer- taking a pair of binoculars is a must if you decide to drive the Grey's Lake road. They stand out like white beacons amidst the flocks of sandhill cranes.

All of these places are wonderful to have for an excuse to take a nice drive.
Swan Valley and Square Ice Cream Cones. Wow - the memories of probably sooooo many families sharing that unique experience with their family and friends. I liked what you wrote, Tohobit, and what you further developed, Banjo.

Sadly, I agree with BanjoMike. Toss away the MILLIONAIRES who use to own rural 8B County to Teton County, as they have had their properties/establishments bought by the BILLIONAIRES. It's so different even now than what we were all fortunate enough to grow to adulthood in the area.

I know this is off subject but was thinking of the various rentals that have been built around Swan Valley and the families who own and/or run them. Then I remember one special place above the others, IMHO: Hansen Ranch, the host of "Camp Magical Moments a " retreat not only for kids with cancer but at other times some of their family members Here's the link: Cancer Camp for Kids - Camp Magical Moments - Swan Valley Idaho.

When I see this family who relocated to eastern ID and have helped improved the lives of so many families and kids with cancer, I sometimes wonder if we lose site of the big picture here trying to learn the percent of X population in the state, how far the shopping centers are, is one city "better" than another etc.

IMHO, Camp Magical Moments is what ID is about. Nieghbors helping neighbors expecting nothing in return.

MSR

Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM

10,688 posts, read 6,953,772 times
Default Found this "livability" guide re: IF

Appears crime and education are mediocre compared to other areas. Weather---BAD, if you don't like it cold!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedIdaho Falls Livability Score -112.0325089

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 06:42 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 PM

28,148 posts, read 19,877,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Appears crime and education are mediocre compared to other areas. Weather---BAD, if you don't like it cold!
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Idaho Falls Livability Score -112.0325089
I compared Idaho Falls to Ketchum, home of movie stars and millionaires. Ketchum ranked 8% lower. Pocatello and I.F. were within 1 point, Boise and C D'A higher than I.F.

Interestingly, Belgrade, Montana, a town I lived in and didn't like much, was rated identically with I.F., each having a score of 79 out of 100.

It's obvious that some of the items that comprise the liveability score are weighted; weather and housing availability are two, for sure, but I'm not sure about most of the others.

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 06:42 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,691,020 times
idaho falls is by far more conservative than boise.. so check...it's been my experience that local conservative governments are severely lacking in funding infrastructure..which is VERY apparent in Idaho falls...
better schools? depends on what you consider better....Idaho has always lacked in education funding.. I've heard lots of complaints about the meridian school district, but you have to consider that they have experienced a TON of growing pains as that area went from 30k to over 100k in about 5-8 years time warranting new schools and all the headaches of taking on the influx in such a short time..but the boise school district is well established and by far the best in the state..
sometimes it's not always greener on the other side..but sometimes it is.. If I were u.. I would have moved to wyoming.. fantastic schools.. and conservative..and sparsely populated so no need for infrastructure :P

there is middle ground on this issue with schools.. liberal states vs conservative.. liberal states are much better at funding education from k-university which is why they attract large employers..but they lack in accountability...
Idaho is a good example of a place where everyone wants and demands good schools.. but nobody wants to pay for them...and many times you get what you pay for..which is why we as a state have to offer tax incentives for large employers vs talent incentives..
Wyoming is the ace card.. everyone wants good schools, and they ARE good... the best oil money can buy! :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls