Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:39 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

While this is in the Best Things to do in Idaho Falls, many may not read all of the things listed. It is time again for the Annual Northern Amercian Brewers' Association Beer Fest in Idaho Falls. This is the 15th year and the number of applicants as well as events continue to grow.

This is a great link to use to learn more: 2008 14th Annual Mountain Brewers' Beer Fest (http://www.northamericanbrewers.org/BeerFest2009.htm - broken link)

tells more about the actual Brew Fest Day, June 6, 2009. The activities start on 06/02/09 ending with the Brew Fest Tasting Day on 06/06. Prior to that, awards for the best beer in each class will be awarded in Downtown Idaho Falls at a ceremony.

Some may consider themselves the experts judging the various beers. However to be a judge, one must have that certification on file with NABA prior to the event. (Sorry Desert Ryder and others who may not yet have the credentials, just the yearning to taste).

Active commercial breweries from Boston Bear to Santa Fe Brewing to Uintah Brewery, Grand Teton Brewery, Capital Brewing Company, Fish Brewing Company, Alaska Brewing Company, Eugene City Brewing, Snake River Brewing, Bozeman Brewing Company, Wasatch, Kettle House Brewing Company and so many more across the U.S. many may not know to the very large Coors and Anheuser-Busch Brewers all compete with different types of Ale. All I listed above, and more, were prize winners last year. There are Golden, Silver and Bronze prizes given to the entries judged best in each category.

Take time to look at all the categories. You may be surprised how many different beers there are to sample. I believe it was something like 91 last year as even those who don't win can be sampled at Beer Fest.

Also, what I just noticed is a personal favorite of mine. Category 27 from last year was, "Carbonated Drinks." I'm puzzles why it got the BRONZE, but proud that Ruby River Steakhouse and Brewery's entry, "Ruby River Root Beer," received the bronze award for Carbonated Drinks. Root beer is ok in my book, then there is Ruby River Root Beer - which is Awesome!!!!! If it got third place, I'd sure like to sample what beat it.

Along with soft drinks and a food court, there is live music all day. A silent auction and drawings for prizes are also planned. Unlike some events where only those who plan to consume large amounts of beer can participate, the family is invited to attend this beer fest at Sand Downs. Kids under 12, are admitted free. For the designated driver and those 12-20, the cost is $5.00 for advanced tickets.

Those who coming simply to drink as many 3 ounce drinks as possible (there is no limit) - the advance ticket cost is $20.00/person.

Great charities such as: Breaking Boundaries, Camp Discovery, The Bonneville County Sheriff's Search and Rescue, Crime Stoppers and The Snake River Animal Sheleter all benefit from this event.

In the past, significant equipment for divers with the Bonneville County Search and Rescue has been purchased from the donations of Beer Fest. I hope Cleosmom will write here what she wrote under Idaho Falls Best Things to do, more about The Snake River Animal Shelter and what those attending Beer Fest can see.

The link: 2008 14th Annual Mountain Brewers' Beer Fest (http://www.northamericanbrewers.org/BeerFest2009.htm - broken link) - lists where to buy advanced tickets in Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, Pocatello, Boise and UT. Also, this year they can be purchased on line.

The previous link also lists local hotels in the area that run shuttles to and from Beer Fest every 30 minutes. This year, there are even motels in Blackfoot and Pocatello as the popularity of this event continues to grow and bring thousands to Idaho Falls for a fun time. Please see the list.

If you are considering attending the event and don't live locally, I'd encourage your to secure your hotel ASAP. Hotels sell out for this event and unless you've tried to get a room around the same time for other reasons, you won't know how many rooms and how many people decedent on Idaho Falls annually to enjoy the best entries from around the U.S.

Here is another link for those who don't live in Idaho or live far away of amenities in the area: Mountain Brewers Beer Festival : visitidaho.org (http://www.visitidaho.org/thingstodo/fairs-festivals/mountain-brewers-beer-festival.aspx - broken link).

If you've attended before, please post here so others might know what the event is like. If you go this year, please post after the event so we all can know what it was like this year.

Have fun.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,585 times
Sounds like a great place to take our trailer so I can nap after the festivities

Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 AM

Lightbulb Great Organizers to Benefit Competitors, Attendess and Charities. Please tell others - everyone wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Sounds like a great place to take our trailer so I can nap after the festivities
Yip, there are some places to do that. It's a really cool area. I wish there was a webcam so I could show you. It's away from downtown Idaho Falls, near the Idaho Falls Country Club and the foothills, which are dry-farmed.

It's only about 3-5 miles south of Sunnyside Road and 17th East, two of the busiest roads in Bonneville County. Yet, it can feel like being a world away at the right events.

I'd encourage you to keep the link as the dates change slightly each year, although the sponsors do try to select the days of their activities. However, the goodwill, the fun, the perfection that is emerging as different Brewing Companies perfect specific recipes and the number of people who attend from out of state increase significantly each year.

I'm actually happy to see an outlet selling tickets in Boise this year. The corrider from Salt Lake City - Yellowstone, Bozeman and points further north in MT, let alone WY and elsewhere in the southeastern part of the state have accepted and promoted this beer fest (some call the largest in the U.S., for the specific criteria). However, it seemed only recently with websites like these where different issues could be discussed that we could let our friends in the Boise (and EMMETT) areas know, and hopefully Bob will help make sure those in NID know about it as well. Many plan vacations around this event.

For about two years we've written about this event in the "Top 10 Things to Do in Idaho Falls." However, in thinking specifically about YOU, DESERT RYDER and Bob, along with a couple of others, I decided it was time to create a forum for this subject so people could rapidly see what was going to happen and learn more. I do hope Bob can work this in his website somehow. I hope some in Boise will visit here and know where to post it so those in Boise will know more.

It's a relaxed event where there are no losers. The charities win (Please Cleosmom, if you read this, please write a bit like you did before about the Humane society's chairty. If you have a link, please add it). Those who participate entering their best products against each other also win, either literally, or win in good more name recognition. I can't even begin to tell you about the benefits of the equipment the Bonneville Co. Sheriff's Search and Rescue has been able to purchase for river rescues, in particular, due to the donations from this event.

So check it out if you can. If you can't, keep the first weekend in June on your calendar for next year. You don't have to drink beer to attend. That is one reason I'm so happy to see a category for Carbonated Beverages. One can still participate even if s/he doesn't consume alcohol for a variety of reasons.

Sage will probably edit this, as I suppose I'm advertising for a company without meaning too. However, I'm so impressed and LOVE the Root Beer Ruby River brews (and now Ruby River has restaurants in Idaho Falls and Boise, let alone UT), so I think it would be great to see this non-alcoholic category grow. It's hard for my mind to imagine that beverage being 3rd in its class. If you've ever enjoyed homemade Root Beer, then multiply the "UM Factor" X10 and you'll have a hint of what Ruby River's house Root Beer tastes like. No wonder they sell out so fast. Their Root Beer is the only Root Beer I drink each year.

More people could attend if specialty non-alcoholic drinks were brewed. And of course, food must follow.

The one thing I don't know for sure, and perhaps someone can clarify for me is, at the food court, is the food provided by just one vendor, or do many different restaurants and other vendors have the opportunity to sell their food? I wonder if those restuarants who enter the contest are able to sell a limited menu of what one would find in their pub? That would be neat, to have a mini-lunch or tastes of what pubs might sell with their beers. One could plan a trip around visiting some of the better breweries in whatever area they wanted.

Meet new friends, enjoy Idaho sunshine and hospitality and just relax. I hope it is a great event this year like it has been in years past.

My sincere PROPS to those who make this happen each year, have increased the number of companies who send their samples to be judged, and those who attend. You are people of action who make a difference for many charities. Nice work.!

Have fun if you go and don't forget the sunscreen. ( I have heard of some sunburns after Beer Fest from people who didn't think they were in the sun that long. That is the most negative remark I've heard, except why weren't we told about this earlier?).

MSR

Old 05-30-2009, 04:50 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,961 times
I might have to check this out. If there's a way for me to cheat and stuff the ballot box for all of Sockeye Brewery's entries...I will have to figure out a way to do that.

Sockeye pwns all! They just released a new Trappist that I haven't tried yet.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:34 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Let me see! Beer! Then nap! Then more beer! Doesn't get any better than that!

I might just go to this. Seriously!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
unlimited three ounce samples and live music!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
I wonder if Sockeye and Table Rock from Boise and Laughing Dog from up in Sandpoint are going to be part of this. I am familier with Idaho brewed beers and these are the best in the state in my opinion. Sun Valley Brewing is primo too.
In fact, most of the hops the Utah breweries use are grown in Idaho

Idaho has some great beer fests, between Idaho Falls, there are several in Boise each Summer and Fall, and Coeur d'Alene. Hops are grown throughout the state and do us proud.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I wonder if Sockeye and Table Rock from Boise and Laughing Dog from up in Sandpoint are going to be part of this. I am familier with Idaho brewed beers and these are the best in the state in my opinion. Sun Valley Brewing is primo too.

Idaho has some great beer fests, between Idaho Falls, there are several in Boise each Summer and Fall, and Coeur d'Alene. Hops are grown throughout the state and do us proud.
Sockeye will be there, not so sure about Table Rock. There is a link, it notes that the breweries coming are not limited to those on the list

Participating Breweries (http://www.northamericanbrewers.org/Breweries%20Confirmed.htm - broken link)

Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Okay in the event that some might not have heard much about the next best thing happening for rescuing domestic pets in Southeast Idaho, I mentioned that one of the benefactors of this year's BeerFest is the Snake River Animal Shelter.

I'll include the link further down. This has been something that Sylvia Medina (CEO of North Wind) has been wanting to do for nearly 20 years, I can recall meetings with her and her hoping for being able to help the pets out further than she already had. My Cleo happens to have been one of Sylvia's foster dogs about 11 years ago. If Sylvia's heart had not been where it was/is then I would not be sharing the life of a dog who has me wrapped around her paw. Props to you Sylvia if you're reading this.

As I was saying, the do have a website and are seeking volunteers and donations. Norcalmom, check out their "shelter news" something gong on next week that might be of interest to you!

So before you go to BeerFest, check out http://snakeriveranimalshelter.org/ and be sure to stop by their booth.

Don't forget a designated driver or take use of the shuttle services.

Quote:
Enjoy Responsibly! Bus Services Available!
Bus Stops (about every 30 minutes):
IDAHO FALLS: Ameritel on Hitt Road, Bowlero Lanes, The Brownstone, DB’s,
Fanatics Sports Bar, The Frosty Gator, Sam’s Club, The Shilo Inn, The Zone
BLACKFOOT: Tumbleweed Saloon, The Wine Garden
POCATELLO: The Grapevine

Old 05-31-2009, 05:09 PM

Talking About 1,200 entries last year from around 80 breweries. - NABA Beer Fest - Idaho Falls, ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post

TohobitPeak,

It looks like from the list Cleosmom provided, that Sockeye is indeed participating in this BeerFest. Not all of the breweries that are competing are listed yet. Plus, they have to belong to NABA. Some breweries may not. Or some simply may not have registered yet.

There are over 80 breweries at this year's competition in Idaho Falls. Around 7,000 people are expected. Growth considering only 1,500 or so originally attended the event. Now, many travel from out of state to either support their local brewery and/or have all the taste they can handle for $20.00 in advance, or $25.00 at the door/per person.

Are the Beer Fests in Boise and Sandpoint regional (or further) events? Or, do they focus more on just the local breweries? I've read previously the one in Idaho Falls is the largest NABA event. I don't know that all breweries belong to NABA.

Last year, 50 judges came from Seattle, OR, Maryland, other states as well as locally. Darron Welch, the head brewer at Pelican Pub & Brewery in Pacific City, OR (who has been a judge 9 times for this event) said last year, "Based on the sheer number of entries, this particular event has assumed, in my mind, the role of being the major regional competition."

Gregg Smith, the former past president of the NABA has said, "Idaho Falls is home to more certified beer judges, per capita, than any other spot in the country." That information surprises many. or

It is worthwhile to mention that Boston Beer Co and Miller Brewing Company have used and still do use, their various entries to this event's winning status in commercials and included in their cardboard packaging.

Check the papers in Salt Lake as well as the Statesman in Boise, WY, MT, OR and other regional papers will have a fair amount written about the event on Monday. Since that would be the day after Beer Fest, all the winners will be announced as well. This event gets a lot of coverage from regional media.

Double H, it's worth your while to attend. Might want to get a hotel room secured very soon as they sell out! United flies to Idaho Falls 3X/day from Denver, if that is useful to you.

Last year, there were nearly 1,200 different entries last year. That is a lot of different beer to judge! Those who attended Beer Fest were allowed to sample about 300 of the different beers.

I hope this helps to better inform some who may want to attend Beer Fest in Idaho Falls next week. 2008 14th Annual Mountain Brewers' Beer Fest (http://www.mbbf.org/BeerFest2009.htm - broken link)

Enjoy, if you go.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls