Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:54 PM

39 posts, read 57,697 times

Advertisements

That is a terrible metric by the University of Vermont. And the Idaho Falls area is a dump and I can't wait to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM

385 posts, read 525,994 times
looks like we'll have an even happier city once you do get out

Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
I don't think, I Just Love This, is a candidate for the new softball team.

I hope you will be happy, I Just Love This, where you relocate. I've found my happiness where I'm living often depends on so many other things going on in my life, not the city. Glad you've got it pinpointed what isn't working for you.

I sincerely hope you'll be happy in your new location.

Best wishes,

MSR

Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLoveThis View Post
That is a terrible metric by the University of Vermont. And the Idaho Falls area is a dump and I can't wait to get out.
Well, you're going to do one good thing----create an opening for us folks who are chomping at the bit to get there. Come on down to Dallas and take our place in this concrete jungle. We are roughly a year away from moving but the wife and I review the same old YouTube videos about IF every couple of weeks.

Wish some of you Idahoans would post a couple of new ones!

IJustLoveThis, I don't like Dallas all that much because I feel overwhelmed by it's size. There are twice as many people in Dallas/Ft. Worth (one big metro area) as there are in all of Idaho, but I don't let it depress me either. You have to have eyes to see the possibilities wherever you are. We've found our little getaway places, we just miss the opportunity to get out of the big city. Last time we took a trip out to the countryside we drove over fifty miles before we were outside of office buildings and strip malls.

That's roughly the distance from IF to Poky that was solid built up areas.

P.S., Banjo and MSR, I was at my dentist's office earlier in this week and he heard me talking about Idaho with his receptonist. He said he had taken a business trip for a professional meeting of some sort to Boise last fall (his first trip to Idaho) and he and the wife drove over and spent a couple of days in Poky and IF. He wasn't as impressed with Poky, but he called IF "a quaint, likeable little town," and said he could understand why people enjoy living there. Also he liked Idaho enough as a state that they are going back to the CDA area this summer. He wants to explore more areas.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLoveThis View Post
At your age, it's understandable why you think I.F. isn't so hot. Idaho Falls is a quiet little town.
50 years ago, when I graduated high school here, I was on fire to get out, too, and back then California was the hot happening place for a lot of kids in my class. Several of us moved there.

Some stayed, some came back, and some drifted off to other places. A few years after graduation, I got to live in California for over a year and that changed my mind. It was not at all the fantasy I had conjured up in my mind. I'm not saying it was better or worse, just massively different than my dim perceptions of the state.

Later, I got to spend more time on the east coast. I had travelled around some in the west, but had never been east of Colorado before, and when given the opportunity, I took it. New York City, Norfolk, Washington D.C., Baltimore, and other places were not what I expected, either.

As you just graduated from college, it's natural you want to go find some place exciting. But you will soon find that as soon as you find a job, life is pretty much the same no matter where you live. If you end up living in a big city, you will spend almost all your time in your neighborhood, on the job, hanging with a group of friends.
Once you are in a steady relationship, that will take up almost all of your time. When kids arrive, even more time will be dedicated to them.

I lived in other towns in Idaho and in other states before I came back to I.F. to settle down. Even then, I moved away 3 more times, but I've always come back. I learned this is my best place, even if it isn't the best place of all. There is nothing I can't do here that I can do elsewhere, and life here is easier for me than it has been in all those other places.

Life is pretty much the same no matter what you do and where you live. Good luck, and go exploring. This is the time in your life to do it.

I hope you will find your best place. Don't be surprised if it ends up being Idaho Falls in the end. Old Mother Idaho is in your bones, and she has a way of calling back her own.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
At your age, it's understandable why you think I.F. isn't so hot. Idaho Falls is a quiet little town.
50 years ago, when I graduated high school here, I was on fire to get out, too, and back then California was the hot happening place for a lot of kids in my class. Several of us moved there.

Some stayed, some came back, and some drifted off to other places. A few years after graduation, I got to live in California for over a year and that changed my mind. It was not at all the fantasy I had conjured up in my mind. I'm not saying it was better or worse, just massively different than my dim perceptions of the state.

Later, I got to spend more time on the east coast. I had travelled around some in the west, but had never been east of Colorado before, and when given the opportunity, I took it. New York City, Norfolk, Washington D.C., Baltimore, and other places were not what I expected, either.

As you just graduated from college, it's natural you want to go find some place exciting. But you will soon find that as soon as you find a job, life is pretty much the same no matter where you live. If you end up living in a big city, you will spend almost all your time in your neighborhood, on the job, hanging with a group of friends.
Once you are in a steady relationship, that will take up almost all of your time. When kids arrive, even more time will be dedicated to them.

I lived in other towns in Idaho and in other states before I came back to I.F. to settle down. Even then, I moved away 3 more times, but I've always come back. I learned this is my best place, even if it isn't the best place of all. There is nothing I can't do here that I can do elsewhere, and life here is easier for me than it has been in all those other places.

Life is pretty much the same no matter what you do and where you live. Good luck, and go exploring. This is the time in your life to do it.

I hope you will find your best place. Don't be surprised if it ends up being Idaho Falls in the end. Old Mother Idaho is in your bones, and she has a way of calling back her own.

Well written Banjo! I think it's important for those are unhappy to leave and see some real dumps. Detroit and Baltimore come to mind. Sure there are great things about those cities too (Little Italy in Baltimore .... Ummm) and Johns Hopkins - who could complain, right? That is until you visit.

Hopkins does amazing things. They also tell residents and fellows how many are murdered on a yearly basis. Not quite hits the press about Baltimore and the projects

Paul O'Neill (TSO fame) wrote part of Knight Castle and dedicated it to various people , including Angela Baker. Most ask who was she.... Just a mom of 5 who had the courage to go to the street corner in the Baltimore projects and ask the Meth dealers not to sell their "goods" so close to her 5 children. A week later Angela Baker, her husband and all of their 5 little ones were all dead after their home was burned.

Chicago has or had some great things. Now the murder rate is so high I can't remember how many are killed daily ( most innocent victims).

Then there are our posters in the ID main forum who are very specific what they lived with in CA and elsewhere.

Go explore you'll be miserable until you do. But be emotionally honest with yourself about trade offs. Sometimes we meet our special someone elsewhere and we wouldn't have otherwise or we get world-class training. Wow, work beyond a Basic BS doesn't leave much time to socialize beyond one's Dept. let alone having a cool social life unless you've got your first $100K in the bank.

Sodas in NYC are about $5-6/drink. Tips in big cities add up quite fast as do all the special extra fees one pays as a homeowner. Then insurance for a vehicle in certain cities (most) will blow your mind.

The border states and those with racial tensions I won't even get into.

I still sincerely wish you the very best I Just Love This wherever home ends up being for you. All I ask is that you be honest with yourself about ALL that is going on in your life as I suspect it is more than the "dump" city where you are.

This won't mean anything to you but it may to others. Prior to the very newest Cardiologist who moved to Idaho Falls the last 3 prior to him all moved from AZ. Cardiologists, especially interventional ones, can live anywhere in the world they want given the demand. I do realize they are older than you and have had to deal with managed care etc. and other issues like malpractice are probably not what you think about daily.

Nonetheless, in your career you'll have your own issues to deal with. I have a nephew not from Idaho who was ecstatic to move. In his previous state he was asked to sign off on projects that were not done correctly. Others could live with the knowledge citizens could get killed or hurt because someone signed off on a project. He couldn't live with himself despite being in a high paying job in a location many want to live.

Let us know how you're doing when you get to where you want to be. I hope you have the perfect job, housing and other details of moving worked out now so your move is smooth

Sincerely wishing you the best you can find for yourself!!

MSR

Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Yes, that is quite well said. Idaho isn't for everyone, but she has no problems with anyone. I grew up in California and at the ripe old age of 24 I had more than I could handle. When the opportunity to move to Idaho came along, I did not have to think twice. I had spent summers in the Boise area as we've family there, still wound up on the opposite side of the state.

I go to CA to visit, most often funerals anymore, but I know that state manages to keep some in love with it.

I too hope you find your happiness.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM

11 posts, read 23,830 times
Well, I can say from personal experience that there is some truth in this study. My family and I recently relocated from Idaho Falls (2nd happiest) to Memphis (least happiest) and all I can say is that I will get back to IF just as soon as I can.

We have lived all over this country. All places have the good and bad sides, but I believe the Idaho Falls is a fantastic place to live and raise a family.

FWIW, we are not LDS - just in case your are looking for a bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls