U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 PM

25,683 posts, read 17,136,830 times

Advertisements

According to a new University of Vermont study, which used people's own words about the place they live via Twitter revealed idaho Falls residents are the second happiest in the nation.

The study was done by first determining a list of the most frequently used words in tweeting about states and cities, then the words were given positive or negative weights, and through a complex series of evaluation, then complied the list into happy and sad feelings about states and cities.

While other studies have shown Idahoans are generally happy living here, and several cities have made other lists at the top, this one is the the first that uses citizen's own thoughts about where they live directly. All the others were taken by polling and other old conventional methods.

Of the states, Hawaii came in first with Idaho 7th and Louisiana last. Maine was 2nd happiest, followed by Nevada, Vermont, Utah, and Colorado at 6th place. States just below Idaho in happiness were: New Hampshire, Washington, Wyoming and Minnesota.

The happiest city in the U.S. of the 373 cities studied was Napa, California. Idaho Falls was next. Other cities in Idaho were: Boise at 37, Nampa at 41, Coeur d'Alene at 108. All were far above average.

The unhappiest city was Beaumont, Texas. the other 6 unhappy cities were: Albany, GA, Texas City TX, Shreveport, LA, Monroe, LA, Flint, Mi, and Memphis, TN.

Here's a link to the study, how it was created, and the results. There are a lot of surprises in it. I wonder if this may become a new way to study many different things Americans think about in the future.

Appendices
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,937,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
According to a new University of Vermont study, which used people's own words about the place they live via Twitter revealed idaho Falls residents are the second happiest in the nation.

The study was done by first determining a list of the most frequently used words in tweeting about states and cities, then the words were given positive or negative weights, and through a complex series of evaluation, then complied the list into happy and sad feelings about states and cities.

While other studies have shown Idahoans are generally happy living here, and several cities have made other lists at the top, this one is the the first that uses citizen's own thoughts about where they live directly. All the others were taken by polling and other old conventional methods.

Of the states, Hawaii came in first with Idaho 7th and Louisiana last. Maine was 2nd happiest, followed by Nevada, Vermont, Utah, and Colorado at 6th place. States just below Idaho in happiness were: New Hampshire, Washington, Wyoming and Minnesota.

The happiest city in the U.S. of the 373 cities studied was Napa, California. Idaho Falls was next. Other cities in Idaho were: Boise at 37, Nampa at 41, Coeur d'Alene at 108. All were far above average.

The unhappiest city was Beaumont, Texas. the other 6 unhappy cities were: Albany, GA, Texas City TX, Shreveport, LA, Monroe, LA, Flint, Mi, and Memphis, TN.

Here's a link to the study, how it was created, and the results. There are a lot of surprises in it. I wonder if this may become a new way to study many different things Americans think about in the future.

Appendices
Hey BanjoMike,

I saw this headline too and wasn't sure exactly how to interpret it. I'm glad that those who tweet in Idaho Falls are happy (or their tweets display happiness). My guess is that having Boise, Nampa and CdA all included, there probably is an element of how computer/social medica aware residents in various areas of the state are. But, I have no way to prove that, just a thought. I'm going to read your link about how the study was done and maybe that will answer my own questions.

Perhaps the two questions I have to are how many Idaho Falls (or Idaho) residents here use Twitter and are tweets for business, personal or both? Thanks for posting this

MSR

Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 AM

1,329 posts, read 942,965 times
Quote:
The happiest city in the U.S. of the 373 cities studied was Napa, California.
Idaho Falls was next.
I'll drink to that!
And you folks from Idaho Falls can have a french fry to celebrate a second place finish.

So interesting comments on Idaho here - but not much on I-Falls

MP3-Show 128: Idaho (61 MB) : http://www.strongtowns.org/storage/p...2413_Idaho.mp3

Strong Towns contributor Andrew Burleson and John Reuter of Conservation Voters for Idaho join Chuck Marohn in a Kia Rio traveling across Idaho for this "from the road" podcast update.

===
http://www.strongtowns.org/strong-towns-podcast/

Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hey BanjoMike,

I saw this headline too and wasn't sure exactly how to interpret it. I'm glad that those who tweet in Idaho Falls are happy (or their tweets display happiness). My guess is that having Boise, Nampa and CdA all included, there probably is an element of how computer/social medica aware residents in various areas of the state are. But, I have no way to prove that, just a thought. I'm going to read your link about how the study was done and maybe that will answer my own questions.

Perhaps the two questions I have to are how many Idaho Falls (or Idaho) residents here use Twitter and are tweets for business, personal or both? Thanks for posting this

MSR
I tried to wade through the methods used to weigh the words, but it was too arcane for me.
Questioning the depth of Twitter as a social medium is sure valid; I know Twitter is extremely popular now, but who is tweeting and how old they are is something that bears questioning. An adult who is having a hard time is going to have a different outlook than a kid, possibly, or an older retired person.

Tech smarts must also play a part as well. Boise has a college and is a tech town, I.F. is a tech town, and Nampa has a college. So does C d'A. But Caldwell, Twin Falls and Pocatello all have colleges, and none of them were even on the list.

As for me: I couldn't Tweet if I wanted to. I'm just warming up when I hit the word limit.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I tried to wade through the methods used to weigh the words, but it was too arcane for me.
Questioning the depth of Twitter as a social medium is sure valid; I know Twitter is extremely popular now, but who is tweeting and how old they are is something that bears questioning. An adult who is having a hard time is going to have a different outlook than a kid, possibly, or an older retired person.

Tech smarts must also play a part as well. Boise has a college and is a tech town, I.F. is a tech town, and Nampa has a college. So does C d'A. But Caldwell, Twin Falls and Pocatello all have colleges, and none of them were even on the list.

As for me: I couldn't Tweet if I wanted to. I'm just warming up when I hit the word limit.
I dug through that info too. I can understand the single words, but I can't understand why a team would work on this project and probably got funded for it too.

Yes, without a doubt part of it is about tech. From what I read in various places, the words selected were a factor too. I'm not sure that college towns will get positive ratings just cuz they are college towns. Too many negative tweets about too much - part of college life for many.

I do agree the Boise Metro (including Meridian, Nampa) is very tech friendly, C d'A has a great Community College and my impression from my NID friends here is they are simply happy with their lives. INL certainly helps set the standard in Idaho Falls given both the pro-tech tweets and potentially how the workers teach younger users how to use Twitter. My take home point is while I can't say for each city ranked in this study, potentially different factors contribute to what type of Tweets come from each location and how satisfied tweeters are with their lives in general, plus their comfort with technology.

I totally agree with your comment, "An adult who is having a hard time is going to have a different outlook than a kid, possibly, or an older retired person." I think where people are in their lives has a lot to do with everything from how much time they have to tweet vs. their interests and are they working 2-3 jobs to pay the bills etc.

From the different sources I've read, little is known about Idaho Falls; perhaps the researchers can submit that as their next great project. I've honestly never read a stat about various cities that left so many authors, posters and others totally confused.

If someone finds more about this from another national or local source that clarifies more, please post info to clarify here.

Thanks,

MSR

Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,463,638 times
As I understand it, the research is based on twitter posts. Hmm. Wouldn't put a tremendous amount of validity to that. But, I guess I get it. Napa is filled with wealthy residents who like to drink wine. OK, cool. Idaho Falls is filled with middle class residents who are mostly religious and don't drink wine. I can see how the two could end up at the top of the list. A paradox in some ways, but when you really think about it, not really.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I dug through that info too. I can understand the single words, but I can't understand why a team would work on this project and probably got funded for it too.

Yes, without a doubt part of it is about tech. From what I read in various places, the words selected were a factor too. I'm not sure that college towns will get positive ratings just cuz they are college towns. Too many negative tweets about too much - part of college life for many.

I do agree the Boise Metro (including Meridian, Nampa) is very tech friendly, C d'A has a great Community College and my impression from my NID friends here is they are simply happy with their lives. INL certainly helps set the standard in Idaho Falls given both the pro-tech tweets and potentially how the workers teach younger users how to use Twitter. My take home point is while I can't say for each city ranked in this study, potentially different factors contribute to what type of Tweets come from each location and how satisfied tweeters are with their lives in general, plus their comfort with technology.

I totally agree with your comment, "An adult who is having a hard time is going to have a different outlook than a kid, possibly, or an older retired person." I think where people are in their lives has a lot to do with everything from how much time they have to tweet vs. their interests and are they working 2-3 jobs to pay the bills etc.

From the different sources I've read, little is known about Idaho Falls; perhaps the researchers can submit that as their next great project. I've honestly never read a stat about various cities that left so many authors, posters and others totally confused.

If someone finds more about this from another national or local source that clarifies more, please post info to clarify here.

Thanks,

MSR
I can see why it would make a good college senior project in several areas- statistics, sociology, anthropology, computer science and some others all could apply in something like this.

I don't know if I'm dubious or not, but for sure, this is no typical method of polling I've heard of. As I said, I'm old school, so I know very little about the Tweeting community, other than it's very large and growing.
I expect there are a lot of projects going on right now that are deeply analyzing who says what on the internet and why they write what they do. The net is a world wide phenomenon, and it's only been around for a very short time in comparison to all other social media.

But I'm not curious enough, nor have enough time on my hands to dig into it. Maybe someone who knows more about it may post their thoughts here. I'd like to read a short-hand version of how the project was conducted.

And in my own observations, Idaho Falls is a rather fractious place when it comes to internet discussion. The local paper just closed down it's net forum yesterday; the publishers got tired of the oppositional name calling back and forth.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I can see why it would make a good college senior project in several areas- statistics, sociology, anthropology, computer science and some others all could apply in something like this.

I don't know if I'm dubious or not, but for sure, this is no typical method of polling I've heard of. As I said, I'm old school, so I know very little about the Tweeting community, other than it's very large and growing.
I expect there are a lot of projects going on right now that are deeply analyzing who says what on the internet and why they write what they do. The net is a world wide phenomenon, and it's only been around for a very short time in comparison to all other social media.

But I'm not curious enough, nor have enough time on my hands to dig into it. Maybe someone who knows more about it may post their thoughts here. I'd like to read a short-hand version of how the project was conducted.

And in my own observations, Idaho Falls is a rather fractious place when it comes to internet discussion. The local paper just closed down it's net forum yesterday; the publishers got tired of the oppositional name calling back and forth.
BanjoMike wrote, "And in my own observations, Idaho Falls is a rather fractious place when it comes to internet discussion. The local paper just closed down it's net forum yesterday; the publishers got tired of the oppositional name calling back and forth."

I saw that PostTalk had been closed. I've read some of those discussions and just closed them they were so predictable of who would inevitable melt down to the same arguments. I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying, Banjo, when you say I.F. is a rather "fractious place." Do you think it was a good call or bad decision regarding PostTalk?

I use to participate in PostTalk back in the days when less was required to participate, but couldn't when the rules changed. One would think with the tightening of rules and how users had to use their own names it wouldn't have gotten as nasty as some posts did.

The internet has given us much but I also think it is easier to type of few words we wouldn't say to other people. And to be fair, it is hard to know how even good friends mean certain typed words on various days. Literally, I think a lot can be lost in translation if the poster doesn't follow up with questions to make sure his/her pt. or question was understood. Maybe the Post Talk closure should be its own thread, although I wouldn't want all those vile comments posted here for Sage to have to remove....

MSR

Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 AM

Here's a link from USA today explaining more about how the study was conducted. Somehow the poor author couldn't include Idaho Falls in her description. Nonetheless, hopefully this will help:

Where life is tweet: Study ranks #happy places

MSR

Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 AM

5,239 posts, read 7,175,772 times
It seems even less meaningful than I thought, after I read the USA Today article.

They didn't know who were tourists or residents, and Twitter users make up just 15% of adults. Those factors say a lot about their study.

Life may or may not be "amazing" and "awesome" for the rest of the adults living in a particular city or state.

It's interesting to look at their word list and how they weigh them for word happiness. From a low of 1.64 for arrest to 8.42 for love. Grandma had a higher rating than the word thankful. Chocolate (7.86) was rated higher than many, many other words.

Below is the list of correlations between happiness and each word in the LabMT database. Click the headings to reorder the list by word, happiness, or correlation strength. Go about half way down the page to see the words.

http://www.uvm.edu/storylab/share/pa...AppendixE.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls