Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 PM

121 posts, read 738,017 times

Advertisements

I've eaten at the two fine dining restaurants in IF - Collage and the Cellar. I'd say around $50 total per person would be average for those two places. The prices you have in mind would be a little high for this area BUT if you have consistently excellent food and a nice dining atmosphere you could make it work. The main problem in this part of the state is that most restaurants seem to experience a serious decline in quality after being open for awhile. The last time I ate at the Collage it was just good, not great. I wasn't impressed by the Cellar at all - too expensive for just average food and average atmosphere. The only local eatery I've found to be consistent over the years is Jakers. It's not really "fine dining" as you would classify it but they do a great business because of their high standards and well trained staff.

I had gotten so used to the average quality of restaurant food (and incompetent staffs) in Idaho Falls over the years that I was completely blown away by the spectacular meals we had in Seattle last summer. Nobody in our party got a bad meal anywhere over the entire week. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, all prepared to perfection everywhere from high end places to a little hole-in-the wall sushi bar. Even semi-fast food chains like Applebee's were excellent and I wasn't expecting that at all. Why? Competition. There is such a massive selection of eateries in Seattle that nothing short of perfection will cut it. Maybe that's what Idaho Falls needs, more competition. There is always room for QUALITY. That's one thing many local food managers just don't seem to get. They spend a hundred thousand dollars remodeling a place only to go out of business due to the lousy food and still don't have a clue what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykerbrown View Post
I am thinking about opening an ultra fine dining restaurant in Idaho falls. I am somewhat familiar with the area, having family from there. The restaurant concept that I am thinking of is an average of $65-$75 per person, white table cloth, reservations required restaurant. Dishes such as Seared Diver Scallops with White Chocolate Foam, or Braised Kobe Short Ribs with Foie Gras Scented Risotto, or Belgium Endive and Mache Salad with Valencia Orange and a Honey Thyme Vinaigrette. My question is how do you think a restaurant like that would do? I want to bring something unique and special to a somewhat small town. A place that can compare to restaurant that you might find in New York, Chicago, Napa Valley, and Paris. Let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Thumbs up Nice Summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeDelSol View Post
I've eaten at the two fine dining restaurants in IF - Collage and the Cellar. I'd say around $50 total per person would be average for those two places. The prices you have in mind would be a little high for this area BUT if you have consistently excellent food and a nice dining atmosphere you could make it work. The main problem in this part of the state is that most restaurants seem to experience a serious decline in quality after being open for awhile. The last time I ate at the Collage it was just good, not great. I wasn't impressed by the Cellar at all - too expensive for just average food and average atmosphere. The only local eatery I've found to be consistent over the years is Jakers. It's not really "fine dining" as you would classify it but they do a great business because of their high standards and well trained staff.

I had gotten so used to the average quality of restaurant food (and incompetent staffs) in Idaho Falls over the years that I was completely blown away by the spectacular meals we had in Seattle last summer. Nobody in our party got a bad meal anywhere over the entire week. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, all prepared to perfection everywhere from high end places to a little hole-in-the wall sushi bar. Even semi-fast food chains like Applebee's were excellent and I wasn't expecting that at all. Why? Competition. There is such a massive selection of eateries in Seattle that nothing short of perfection will cut it. Maybe that's what Idaho Falls needs, more competition. There is always room for QUALITY. That's one thing many local food managers just don't seem to get. They spend a hundred thousand dollars remodeling a place only to go out of business due to the lousy food and still don't have a clue what happened.
Well said, CafeDelSol. Great you shared your personal experience.

Service - that is what sets good from great to fine restaurants apart. I totally agree with you. Unfortuantely, I think our very low unemployment (lowest again in the nation last month), helps create the attitude of, "I can always get another job."

I wish we had a culinary school, either though EITC or privately. I wish someone would train servers how to give better service, and teach additional skills to chefs. That absence is one reason I find Rykerbrown's idea so fresh and needed.

I also agree about Jakers; it is a favorite of mine. Idaho Falls Magazine ranked The Sandpiper the readers #1 favorite across the board. I haven't been to The Sandpiper since the changes were made. Have you CDS, or cleosmom or others? Just wondering what people are liking at The Sandpiper that is "different" than before.

Both The Cellar and Collage know their clientele. I was honestly surprised Collage doubled their space next to Vino Rossi. However, that tells me what type of clientel they want being so close to the Colonel Theatre/Carr Gallery etc. Conversely, Collage is located in an entirely different area of town close to homes where the median income is much higher than in other parts of the county. While I can't remember Collage's new seating capacity, I believe the smaller restaurants add to the ambience and create a finer diner experience than the larger one. Just my views, of course, which others may not share.

Also, I wonder about a dress code as well. If people had to follow a dress code, I think an automatic signal is sent that a higher level of dining experience is what is in store. I'm not suggesting black tie only etc. But the average person who goes to a Hitt Road restaurant doesn't have to follow a dress code. Flips flops are as welcome as Cole-Haan and other shoes the person happens to be wearing when they decide to go out to eat.

Some residents have recently debated if there should be a restaurant in Idaho Falls that doesn't allow children so fine dining can occur. I don't claim to have the answer, only supporting one more time the desire of local residents.

Great post, CDS.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:39 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Well said, CafeDelSol. Great you shared your personal experience.

Service - that is what sets good from great to fine restaurants apart. I totally agree with you. Unfortuantely, I think our very low unemployment (lowest again in the nation last month), helps create the attitude of, "I can always get another job."

I wish we had a culinary school, either though EITC or privately. I wish someone would train servers how to give better service, and teach additional skills to chefs. That absence is one reason I find Rykerbrown's idea so fresh and needed.

I also agree about Jakers; it is a favorite of mine. Idaho Falls Magazine ranked The Sandpiper the readers #1 favorite across the board. I haven't been to The Sandpiper since the changes were made. Have you CDS, or cleosmom or others? Just wondering what people are liking at The Sandpiper that is "different" than before.

Both The Cellar and Collage know their clientele. I was honestly surprised Collage doubled their space next to Vino Rossi. However, that tells me what type of clientel they want being so close to the Colonel Theatre/Carr Gallery etc. Conversely, Collage is located in an entirely different area of town close to homes where the median income is much higher than in other parts of the county. While I can't remember Collage's new seating capacity, I believe the smaller restaurants add to the ambience and create a finer diner experience than the larger one. Just my views, of course, which others may not share.

Also, I wonder about a dress code as well. If people had to follow a dress code, I think an automatic signal is sent that a higher level of dining experience is what is in store. I'm not suggesting black tie only etc. But the average person who goes to a Hitt Road restaurant doesn't have to follow a dress code. Flips flops are as welcome as Cole-Haan and other shoes the person happens to be wearing when they decide to go out to eat.

Some residents have recently debated if there should be a restaurant in Idaho Falls that doesn't allow children so fine dining can occur. I don't claim to have the answer, only supporting one more time the desire of local residents.

Great post, CDS.
I thank CDS for sharing their opinion as well. Due to time constraints I've not been either The Cellar or Collage and shame on me since I don't get to downtown IF often that shall lessen the chance of Collage.

The last time I was at Sandpiper was believe it or not Thanksgiving last year and it was excellent. As there are only three of us, I don't do a big meal and I heard a client tell me she's going there as always and thought we'd give it a try. I'm thinking we'll go again this year. I was surprised that they were even open on Thanksgiving, I know O'Callahan's usually is as well as Westbank (sorry it was always be Westbank and I can't even recall what it is now!)

Not that I've anything against kids, an adult only place would be a novelty!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 PM

121 posts, read 738,017 times
I haven't eaten much at the Sandpiper since they served my wife and I nearly raw chicken many years ago. It was like a frozen, microwaved pile of glop covered in cheese and herbs. We didn't go back for years. I would assume they don't serve food like that anymore since they are still in business! We had a small dinner there last year and it was pretty decent. Everything was well prepared and fresh.

We're going to try the new Collage in February for our anniversary dinner. The last time we ate at the First Street location our server was not well trained and the chef was evidently having an off day. I could have cooked a better meal myself. I was really disappointed since the previous visit was spectacular. It's that kind of swings in quality that can doom a restaurant. Word of mouth gets around fast. I hope the capacity increase in the new location won't hurt their ability to turn out good food.

It would be amusing to see if a dress code would cut it in Idaho Falls. Jeans and golf shirts seem to be the norm, even at the Collage.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,634 times
I think any small town/city would greatly benefit fine dining. A couple years ago I lived in a small city in Eastern Washington State, and all they had were a few fast food joints and some "hole in the walls". How I missed a nice, elegant establishment.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:15 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Wink Nice Feature About You!

Quote:
I am thinking about opening an ultra fine dining restaurant in Idaho falls. I am somewhat familiar with the area, having family from there. The restaurant concept that I am thinking of is an average of $65-$75 per person, white table cloth, reservations required restaurant. Dishes such as Seared Diver Scallops with White Chocolate Foam, or Braised Kobe Short Ribs with Foie Gras Scented Risotto, or Belgium Endive and Mache Salad with Valencia Orange and a Honey Thyme Vinaigrette. My question is how do you think a restaurant like that would do? I want to bring something unique and special to a somewhat small town. A place that can compare to restaurant that you might find in New York, Chicago, Napa Valley, and Paris. Let me know.
Hi rykerbrown:

Weird how things happen sometimes. An alert I have set linked me to your hometown newspaper. Wow - was I ever surprised to see the recent feature about you this last week. Way to go!!!

I'm sure you can make the connections you need working with either Grow Idaho Falls, driving to Idaho Falls and checking out Collage, the Celler and Destinations and even writing a letter to the various developers.

Given your timeframe, you may want to consider Snake River Landing.

I'd give you the links, but you already have access to them. Don't want to repeat myself in every post.

Good luck - I'll be watching for your special restaurant down the road.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,362 times
Quote:
Hi Rykerbrown,

I was flipping through the Wine Spectator(Aug 07 issue) and thought of you. The main topic in the front cover was Best Restaurants for Wine, maybe you've seen this issue? I looked through the award winners for the state of Idaho and there were 15 award winners, not one from Idaho Falls. The majority of the restaurants listed were in Boise, with Ketchum following. They did list, The Continental Bistro in Pocatello and Rock Creek in Twin Falls as recipients of the Award of Excellence. Not one of the 15 restaurants received the Grand Award.

I wondered if this would be a great way to get you on the map. If you're not familiar with Wine Spectator's Awards and are interested, I'd be happy to fax you a couple of pages that explains the requirements and how to get started, just click on my name and send me a direct message.

My husband is in the wine business and I ran your idea by him- he gave me some great contacts of people that might be able to assist you in that area and give you a good insight as to whether your concept will work. I will PM you with the info. Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,912 times
Default Interested in Chef Positions in Idaho Falls

Hi! I read this post about the fine dining restaurants in Idaho Falls, and became very interested because in about 5 months I will be moving there. I have a two culinary degrees, and wish to work in a fine dining type restaurant if possible. So, Mtn. State Resident or rykerbrown or any one else who might be able to help, please do! I have looked in the classifieds and all I can find are jobs for Arby's and Taco Time. These are not the type of "restaurants" that I would like to work at. Any one with some information regarding local, finer dining chef positions in Idaho Falls, please let me know!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 PM

39 posts, read 207,996 times
I wasn't going to post, but I just have to because of personal experience. I am so sorry, I hate to be negative-but I REALLY wouldn't open a restaurant like that in the area. My husband and I moved here to open an upscale deli and it did TERRIBLE and we lost everything. People here think Fine Dinning is Sizzler. I'm sorry! But I just don't think it's the right place. I can only think of 3 higher end restaurants here and 2 of them have gone out of business in the last year. Just my advice.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigbymomof3 View Post
I wasn't going to post, but I just have to because of personal experience. I am so sorry, I hate to be negative-but I REALLY wouldn't open a restaurant like that in the area. My husband and I moved here to open an upscale deli and it did TERRIBLE and we lost everything. People here think Fine Dinning is Sizzler. I'm sorry! But I just don't think it's the right place. I can only think of 3 higher end restaurants here and 2 of them have gone out of business in the last year. Just my advice.
Was your deli here or RIgby? Just curious as I'm don't even know if I had heard of anything new deli wise in the past few years. Regardless, sorry it didn't work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls