U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 7,055 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about opening an ultra fine dining restaurant in Idaho falls. I am somewhat familiar with the area, having family from there. The restaurant concept that I am thinking of is an average of $65-$75 per person, white table cloth, reservations required restaurant. Dishes such as Seared Diver Scallops with White Chocolate Foam, or Braised Kobe Short Ribs with Foie Gras Scented Risotto, or Belgium Endive and Mache Salad with Valencia Orange and a Honey Thyme Vinaigrette. My question is how do you think a restaurant like that would do? I want to bring something unique and special to a somewhat small town. A place that can compare to restaurant that you might find in New York, Chicago, Napa Valley, and Paris. Let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 02:33 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,503,448 times
Good luck is all I can say about opening something like that in IF

Old 10-27-2007, 05:33 PM

82 posts, read 346,242 times
Not the town to do that in. Places like Chuck-a-rama do well here. You should really take in to consideration that the average person makes $10 an hour here and 38% of people are on welfare. Its a farming community, not a ritzy town.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:12 PM

4,923 posts, read 16,925,525 times
As far as would fine dining fair well here, I think so. We already have The Collage and The Cellar The Cellar - Celebrate the Joy of Fine Dining I've never been to either do to scheduling conflicts, however looking at The Cellar's website, although fine dining, their price range is $18-$30 on the dinner menu.

So if changing the price range were an option, you might do alright. I could elaborate a little, but I'd prefer to do that via Direct Message.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:30 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,246,162 times
Thumbs up There is a Need; Good Idea

Rykerbrown,

I agree with cleosmom. Collage (which just had to move downtown to double its size) and the Cellar are doing well.

I'm not sure how familiar other posters are with the finer dining in Idaho Falls. The current ad for a Sous Chef for Collage should state something for those who read info like that.

What I would do, if it were me, is to contact the owner/developer of The Destinations Inn, Rob Bishop. The link is: destinationsinn.html. Look at the room prices and see if they are inline with what you are thinking.

Rob Bishop wants a 5 Star restaurant next to Destinations, which is expanding. They are always booked. I know he's worked a deal for a new coffee shop, but I thought Collage was going to be the restaurant involved. I was wrong. Collage went next to Vino Rossi.

Rob may or may not have someone lined up for the restaurant part of the expansion. The last I heard, the restaurant was absolutely part of what was to be expanded, besides more rooms of course.

For those who think fine dining doesn't exist in Idaho Falls, it's probably best I say nothing about what exists. Those of us who know will keep enjoying our local treasures.

Some have stereotyped ideas about Idaho Falls. It's probably best if those people go to the restaurants they know and avoid the restaurants where locals and those who comute from Pocatello Jackson Hole, West Yellowstone etc. for fine dining experience, at what is currently available restaurants. There is a reason the name Rockefeller is associated with a local resort. Check the disposable income in Idaho Falls compared to other cities in Idaho. Plus, we just happen to have the Billionaires from Jackson Hole who trickle into town often.

There is also a reason 3 resorts are being built/our close to built in Driggs. The food at those resorts will be comparable will other resorts.

Rykerbrown, Some of the dishes you mention are some that the crowd from FL, TX, east coast etc. keep looking for and are disappointed they can't find in Idaho Falls. Many have considered opening restaurants, but don't have the capital. Fresh gulf fish is another frequent request. These newer residents, along with world-wide travelers who have lived in Idaho Falls for years, would welcome a fine dining establishment that features what they desire.

Please feel free to send me a PM to discuss further. I have NO connections to any restaurants. However, I'm a consumer who reads and has eaten in world class restaurants in New Orleans, Miami, NYC, Chicago, L.A. - #1 - in Hollywood at the time etc.

You might be a tad high on what you hope to have per ticket. But, that may depend on whether you include alcohol or not. I don't know.

People told both of the owners of Collage and The Cellar they would never make it. Clearly, they were wrong. The drawing area for that level of service exceeds Idaho Falls MSA and would be more like 300,000 - for which Idaho Falls is the hub.

I hope you check out the Cellar and contact Rob Bishop. Maybe he has been waiting for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 10-27-2007 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,503,448 times
You couldn't even keep a restaraunt that costs 65-75 $ a person open in Boise. A lot bigger region. Hate to be negative, but if you open you will fail. These other places people are mentioning where they have had fine dining are upwards of one million people. They are mentioning NY, LA, Miami, Chicago, all very different from IF.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM

171 posts, read 1,001,451 times
Chandler's in Boise would certainly fall into this price range and it is cranking! Average price per person would be higher with wine/alcohol included. It's not my favorite place but they are packed. Andrae's would be a similar average price per person as well as six one six in Eagle. There are high end restaurants that are alive and well in Boise. I don't know enough about IF to comment on their market.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:30 PM

3,056 posts, read 5,939,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
You couldn't even keep a restaraunt that costs 65-75 $ a person open in Boise. A lot bigger region. Hate to be negative, but if you open you will fail. These other places people are mentioning where they have had fine dining are upwards of one million people. They are mentioning NY, LA, Miami, Chicago, all very different from IF.
I can think of at least a dozen restaurants in Boise/Eagle which cost $67-75 a person for dinner. The high end restaurant scene in Boise is impressive for a smaller city and seems to grow each year. I just ate at Barbacoa last night and it was almost $60 a person for dinner/wine and it was packed and from what I hear the restaurant is packed almost every night of the week.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,055 times
Default Restaurant

Thank you all for your input. The price of $65-75 per person is an average which would include wine/alcohol. Mnt. States Resident, I appreciate your advice and I have tried to contact Destination Inn but no luck on Rob Bishop or his son. If you have a contact please let me know. Many people think that you cant pull off a restaurant like this in a small town and that it is only for the Big cities. I dont believe that. I believe people everywhere are looking for a great place to dine. A place where they offer exceptional food, near perfect service, and a formal but very comfortable atmosphere. I have lived in these big cities and have worked at some the worlds most prestigous restaurants and private communities and it has been my understanding that the people that go to them have seen this type of food before and are used to it. I want to bring that experience to people that have not and perhaps might not ever. The price is still flexible, but that would include an average person orders an Appetizer, Soup or Salad, Entree and Dessert and a glass of wine. If you calculate that, it's not that expensive. Thank you again and if you have any other advice please let me know.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,246,162 times
Thumbs up Absolutely, Boise and Idaho Falls Metro offer Fine Dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I can think of at least a dozen restaurants in Boise/Eagle which cost $67-75 a person for dinner. The high end restaurant scene in Boise is impressive for a smaller city and seems to grow each year. I just ate at Barbacoa last night and it was almost $60 a person for dinner/wine and it was packed and from what I hear the restaurant is packed almost every night of the week.
I enjoyed your post, Syringaloid. It seems the western and eastern parts of ID could indeed share some of the hidden treasures of fine dining.

What I think it so great about Rykerbrown, is s/he has family in the Idaho Falls area, so knows the percentage of people who come to Idaho Falls for dinner. Then there are the locals and the tourists.

I don't know if s/he calculated in the increasing costs of Driggs and the resorts there.

But, no where did Rykerbrown ask any of us for money. Just our thoughts.

The Miami, L.A., TX, AZ, NYC, cO, MI, MO crowd, amongst others, who have relocated to Idaho Falls, including a newer trend of so many former Seattle residents, know what they spent for dinner where they use to live. They know what they additional fine dining they would like to see in Idaho Falls.

I'm not really sure why some feel there is no fine dining in Idaho. What do you think, Syringaloid? Perhaps they have never been, which is why they don't believe it's possible to have these restaurants in ID,

I'd like to know some names of some of those restaurants I might be missing in the TV. Would you please send me a PM with some of the finer restaurants you enjoy? I'll be happy to return the favor.

I might be wrong, but I think you and I were talking about the two Boise-based coffee companies in different thread a while back. If it wasn't you, I do apologize. I recently learned that the Villa CoffeeHouse does NOT use any of the beans from Boise. There is an original chain of drive throughs, based in Idaho Falls, that plan to franchise. I'm not sure whose beans they use. I'll try to find out.

It would be kind of interesting if the local grown Idaho Falls drive through, which will be expanding, used the local grown coffee beans from Boise. At least the local Idaho Falls franchise sure chips away at the myths and misinformation so many still have or like to perpetuate about Idaho Falls being all LDS.

Anyway, it would be nice if somehow one of the Idaho Falls coffee houses/cafes would get coffee beans from Boise. Maybe even one of the "Made in Idaho" type stores would consider it, so residents recently transplanted or here for 30 + tears could try it compared to other brands like Starbucks, Tullys and Seattle's Best to name a few. For those who are interested, I just think it could be a nice change. Not everyone loves Starbucks compared to other brands and methods of preparing the java.

When you get time, Syringaloid, I would appreciate a PM with a few names of finer restaurants and what their specialty is in the Boise area. Thanks in advance for sharing some of your favorite locations with me. I appreciate your willingness to do that and in turn learn what restaurants you might want to visit in the Idaho Falls area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls