U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,487,721 times

Advertisements

I live in the 83401, (sorry CA reference) and honestly, the past four yeas I have lived here, I have not once noticed a power outage. BTW, I' am served by Idaho Falls Power. My only complaint with IFP is my bill seems to be the same almost every month, winter or summer. Not sure I get that. I'm not on their "average rate" plan. Makes me wonder if they really read the meters.

Last edited by pw72; 05-05-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,962,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I live in the 83401, (sorry CA reference) and honestly, the past four yeas I have lived here, I have not once noticed a power outage. BTW, I' am served by Idaho Falls Power. My only complaint with IFP is my bill seems to be the same almost every month, winter or summer. Not sure I get that. I'm not on their "average rate" plan. Makes me wonder if they really read the meters.
Hmmmm, interesting. 401 is both in the city and external too. I understand a zip code can be shared but how many do you know with the 83405 or 83415 zip codes? My point is it could be easier by splitting 401 into a smaller area and perhaps utilizing other or dare I say Add a new zip code if warranted?

I honestly do not know about I F power and what gets read when.

Are you prepared for emergencies? I just heard some sirens fairly close by....something is up on the road I saw with the flashing lights.

MSR

Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,487,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hmmmm, interesting. 401 is both in the city and external too. I understand a zip code can be shared but how many do you know with the 83405 or 83415 zip codes? My point is it could be easier by splitting 401 into a smaller area and perhaps utilizing other or dare I say Add a new zip code if warranted?

I honestly do not know about I F power and what gets read when.

Are you prepared for emergencies? I just heard some sirens fairly close by....something is up on the road I saw with the flashing lights.

MSR
I hear you MSR, but I think the Post Office has bigger problems right now than splitting zip codes. Overall, they still do a great job, despite their lack of job security. I don't envy them.

I keep fresh water on hand, but fail to change it out as frequently as I should. I don't own a flashlight. (Wrong on my part). And I am terrible with food storage. I guess water will get me through for awhile in the worst case scenerio.

As for IF Power, I am not really complaining, as their rates still seem reasonable, atleast compared to other areas of the country. And it really does help to let nature do its trick. Like today, a warm day, no need to run AC, just open up the windows and even use a fan if, as expected the temps rise to 80 by the weekend. Common sense stuff.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 PM

I still have power but wanted to bump this higher. With the new fire in Wolverine, I knew that smoke was coming from a new, powerful fire.

Think of other situations of what you might need at home like extra antihistamines for me.

The lightening strikes fires scare me with all the wheat so close to harvest.

MSR

Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 AM

4,766 posts, read 16,591,224 times
There was a fire burning just off of I-15 tonight near exit 89 (Sage Hill truck stop area). I t was started by lightening, but looked as if they got a handle on it fast. Close to a house, but as far as I could tell no structures were harmed.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 AM

208 posts, read 281,708 times
Do you lose power a lot out there? Is it worth getting a generator? Two years ago we had an October snow storm that causes widespread power outages for a week here in MA, and I don't ever want to go through that again. (we had private well too so had no water) .

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
Do you lose power a lot out there? Is it worth getting a generator? Two years ago we had an October snow storm that causes widespread power outages for a week here in MA, and I don't ever want to go through that again. (we had private well too so had no water) .
No. Sometimes power is out for several hours. This particular power outage really should be thought of two events. The one Cleosmom described, a result of a car hitting a power pole and a second situation miles away.

If you have someone at home that needs power always available then I'd get a generator. MA has had some brutal power outages the last couple of yrs. Our outages have been minor compared to MA.

When do you move? I hope everything goes smoothly.

MSR

Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 PM

208 posts, read 281,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
No. Sometimes power is out for several hours. This particular power outage really should be thought of two events. The one Cleosmom described, a result of a car hitting a power pole and a second situation miles away.

If you have someone at home that needs power always available then I'd get a generator. MA has had some brutal power outages the last couple of yrs. Our outages have been minor compared to MA.

When do you move? I hope everything goes smoothly.

MSR
We close on the house on Monday. It's going to be a huge change for us, but we're excited. Glad to hear power isn't a huge problem there!!!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
We close on the house on Monday. It's going to be a huge change for us, but we're excited. Glad to hear power isn't a huge problem there!!!
I'm sure you'll be glad to get everything closed and into your Idaho home. When you can join us with posts of questions and perspectives of someone who just moved to the area.

MSR

Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM

Default A few extras for winter

Time to bump this again. As we prepare for winter it's a great time to think of some extras you might want to have at your residence and/or vehicle.

The one who really does not like to shop (ME), realized I've never gotten matches or candle lighter yet. Yes, I know I can order them online and would even get an Amazon to the $ amount to have free shipping on other things too.

I did find an old candle and have gotten another flashlight.

For those who perhaps have had less time driving in winter conditions, I'd suggest packing a few extra things: bottles of water, a light blanket, some energy or snack bars and batteries/flashlight in your vehicle.

Keep some extra food at home, either dried or canned. BTW, if it's canned make sure you have a can opener. : - I'm still looking where someone put mine.

Depending on whether you have kids or elderly you drive, pack whatever extras for those you drive.

Usually, when drivers have delays it is to fast-moving storms that temporarily close roads, delays in getting accidents cleared etc. If you have kids you might want to pack games, books or something to make their waiting time easier on everyone.

Aren't there extra cell battery devices that can now power every cell phone? I think so and can picture what they look like, but can't remember the name. Or even one of the inexpensive disposable phones. Just make sure you activate and charge it before using as backup.

Going to turn this over to the pros to ask questions or write suggestions with three last vehicle suggestions from me:

1. The combo ice scrapers and brush ice scrappers are needed. Make sure yours is big enough you can clear the windows - long enough that your out-stretched arm and the scrapper can reach the middle of your windshield and back windows.

2. Drive on the upper 1/2 part of your fuel. If possible don't drive around with just 2-3 gallons unless you've got more with you. Fuel can quickly be used trying to keep everyone warm etc. and you didn't plan to be stuck somewhere waiting for a road to open etc.

3. Always carry some cash. What if you drove somewhere to buy something and the power went out so credit/debit cards couldn't be swiped.

And listen for weather updates or check on your phone at your favorite radio or tv station, if you can get online in the mobile world. Make sure you listen to a local radio station who will tell you the weather. While they all should, I'm not sure. Check your station. You can always try The Arrow 107.1 as there is a great weather section in the App and humans who even mention it too.

Now for pro advice................posts from everyone, I hope.

Being prepared can make an unexpected delay easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls