U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:12 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,981,931 times

Advertisements

I don't know where this pic is from, but it's not the Substation that starts routine maintenance and more construction. There aren't houses that close.
Rocky Mountain Power warns of possible outage | Latest News - Home

Hope everyone is prepared if we start losing some day-time power.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:03 PM

Default Power Outage in Bear Lake, Montpelier Area; Planes Diverted to IDA from SLC

Did you turn your water on for sprinkling and have any problems with yesterday's storm? Were there power outages anywhere besides the south east corner of ID that borders Wyoming and UT. The quick high wind caused a big problem in N. Utah.

There was a 20+ car accident on the highway to Wendover. As usual, a truck got blown over causing the chain reaction of car accidents and one fatality. I didn't see any reports of such severe weather in Idaho, but I didn't check much either.

Flights were diverted to IDA from SLC. IDA is the first diversion option for SLC.

What difficulties, if any, did you experience? Is there anything new you would keep stored after this bizarre weather?

Here is a link:
High winds cause major pileup, briefly halt flights in Utah - US News

Old 04-15-2015, 01:29 PM

Smile Welcome to Your Dad's World of Weather, Zoe and Zack. Congratulations to the Coates Family!

Some want to know how we had 70s in Feb. & March and snow yesterday and this morning. BTW, that storm hit many states, it wasn't only Idaho.

Nonetheless, meterologists thrive on storms, bizarre weather etc. Following that logic, I concluded any difficulties we encountered were due to meterologist Michael Coates focusing on his family. Perhaps he hoped there would be an odd weather event he could tell and show his new twins when they are older
And it is Zoey not Zoe. Zoey and Zach. Check their sizes, almost identical.

Congratulations to the Coates family on their Twins!
It's Twins! | Home - Home

Local News 8's Michael Coates and wife welcome twins! - 105 The Hawk - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Rexburg, Rigby, Shelley

Old 04-15-2015, 03:34 PM

3,676 posts, read 3,133,076 times
Weird weather is more common than not.
I grew up in MI, and can remember snowstorms in April and even some massive ones after a winter with hardly any snow. I remember playing football in short sleeve shirt on Christmas day and sledding in March. When I moved back to MI the last time I lived there, first year I purchased a snow blower; never used it. The following two years, I almost burned it out from usage.

First year living in Moab, we had a freak snowstorm a few days before Christmas. Yea, everyone blamed it on me.

When in southern TN; south of Nashville, we had the second worse snowstorm in their history (for that area). Best part of the storm was driving to Walmart in my Wrangler and counting the number of PU trucks spun out in the ditch, and winching out two Columbia cop cars from ditches. Mixing snow with southern drivers is like mixing fire with gas.

And last weekend, three days camping in Moab, and I was waiting for my trailer to be blown over to Grand Junction; the winds were gusting to around 35, with a few over 40 (per the local weather). At times I felt like I was in a boat in the gulf during a Hurricane.

So, this April snow I woke up to this AM is not unusual and just another day for the dog to romp in the snow. And since I cut the grass on Monday, I don't need to water it for a week now. This snow will nicely melt slowly into the ground.

And yes, weather forecasters live for storms as newscasters live for major tragedies.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I grew up in MI, and can remember snowstorms in April and even some massive ones after a winter with hardly any snow. I remember playing football in short sleeve shirt on Christmas day and sledding in March. When I moved back to MI the last time I lived there, first year I purchased a snow blower; never used it. The following two years, I almost burned it out from usage.

First year living in Moab, we had a freak snowstorm a few days before Christmas. Yea, everyone blamed it on me.

When in southern TN; south of Nashville, we had the second worse snowstorm in their history (for that area). Best part of the storm was driving to Walmart in my Wrangler and counting the number of PU trucks spun out in the ditch, and winching out two Columbia cop cars from ditches. Mixing snow with southern drivers is like mixing fire with gas.

And last weekend, three days camping in Moab, and I was waiting for my trailer to be blown over to Grand Junction; the winds were gusting to around 35, with a few over 40 (per the local weather). At times I felt like I was in a boat in the gulf during a Hurricane.

So, this April snow I woke up to this AM is not unusual and just another day for the dog to romp in the snow. And since I cut the grass on Monday, I don't need to water it for a week now. This snow will nicely melt slowly into the ground.

And yes, weather forecasters live for storms as newscasters live for major tragedies.
F5,

Then officially we should blame you for all bad weather, especially out-of-season? I can do that

However, I'm reasonably certain you didn't have anything to do with the conception or delivery of the Coates twins But their dad can always talk about the weather the next 48 hrs. after they were born.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 AM

Hey, one of my first purchases at Lowes when I moved here was a snow blower. Used it once; primarily to make sure the darn thing worked. So if you blame me for bad weather; makes sure I get credit for no snow.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:37 AM

25,946 posts, read 17,340,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

Yup. Late spring snowstorms aren't rare in Idaho, and we aren't in late spring yet. Getting snow right now is better than if it was rain, because the mountains haven't thawed yet, and the rain would have been wasted in the runoff.

This storm wasn't much. I remember an April sleet storm in 2002 that was truly dangerous; it glazed over all the streets and highways with a glaze of ice, and was followed by several days of freezing temps that kept the ice ice.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:29 PM

Ice storms are nasty. I'll take a foot of snow any day.

I was in middle TN in '94 when it was declared a national emergency due to an ice storm. I-65, north of Nashville was littered with broken trees laying across the shoulders and at least the right lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls