Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times

Advertisements

Well not a pro, but we've got some things ready in case we get snowed or iced in, or the power goes out over the winter.

1. Two wood stoves (one in the living room and one in the garage) and plenty of fire wood.
2. Cast iron pots and pans to cook food or heat water on the stoves.
3. Plenty of candles, lanterns (battery and crank), flashlights (battery and crank), headlamps........note to self to buy more batteries
4. Enough food on hand to last a while (certainly longer than the power will be out)
5. Plenty of first aid supplies, blankets, bottled water

Good reminder about keeping the gas tank higher - I have a tendency to run it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
The odds of a major outage that couldn't be repaired within 24 hours in Bonneville Co. are slim. However, that being said, it is important to to have a spare water supply, a good flashlight, candles, matches, and some food that can be eaten without refrig or heat. Sorry, but just common sense. So many, though, don't have that.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
The odds of a major outage that couldn't be repaired within 24 hours in Bonneville Co. are slim. However, that being said, it is important to to have a spare water supply, a good flashlight, candles, matches, and some food that can be eaten without refrig or heat. Sorry, but just common sense. So many, though, don't have that.
I agree, pw. I should have been more clear as some travel some distance to get to 8B County. Or, if someone is traveling to Jackson or Driggs etc. to ski.

But I also lived in a much larger metro two years ago and the power was off for about a thousand residences given the accident resulting in the blackout for two days. It sucked being one of those thousand homes. I know in the Rocky Mtn. West anything is possible.

We have newer residents from the southern part of the country who may not know as much. And some live in a more rural, different settings.

I know some who pack extra ice melting stuff. Is that necessary in anyone's experience? Or do you utilize something else?

Shoot, I went to the store and forgot matches. I'd like to light my fireplace. Guess I'd better write a list.

MSR

Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
For newbies to the great mysterious North... Here's a List for your car (off the top of my head from my years in South Dakota) - most are obvious if you think about it... We kept this in the trunk for the duration of winter.
  • Blanket(s), a wool blanket if you have it, and the space blankets don't take up a lot of room and can really come in handy
  • ice removal equipment - scrapers, brushes,etc., even a small broom stuck way back in the trunk may come in handy.
  • Kitty litter or sand to put under tires if stuck
  • chains (well, we all know that!)
  • first aid kit that includes more than a few bandaids. Hydrogen peroxide, vaseline, bandages --- all are good to toss in there. (A cotton ball with vaseline on it will catch fire quickly if you need to start a fire.)
  • lighters - the kind you use to start the BBQ can come in handy. I also keep a lot of lighters at the house
  • water, juice, snacks like power bars, jerky, things that give you energy, gatorade for electrolites
  • signaling devices - flashy lights are good, as are red or yellow signs that can be seen from a distance
  • small signaling devices
  • portable crank style radio (Radio Shack has a couple of good ones)
  • if you have need of electricity and don't want to run the car out of gas consider the Goal Zero portable solar panel. I always have it with me. Was just up in Deadman's Pass last week during the snowstorm. Noticed that my GZ panel was charging even with the ambient light coming through the snow. It wasn't as fast as if I were home in AZ, but hey, a charge is a charge!
  • glove warmers - you can get instant ones at camping stores
I know I'm forgetting something - but that entire list would only take up a small amount of real estate in your trunk and could be the difference between life and death. In SD, storms would come up out of nowhere, so we learned quickly to be prepared.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 AM

385 posts, read 525,994 times
any idea how long this outage will last?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 AM

584 posts, read 575,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
any idea how long this outage will last?
This was just posted by Teton Valley News. I haven't heard anything else.

"We're hearing that some Fall River Electric members in Teton Valley are experiencing power outages. We're working on more information. Rocky Mountain Power has asked Fall River to reduce consumption by 50%. The current estimated number of customers without power, serviced by Rocky Mountain is 44,165, which is down from 48,860 originally. Grand Targhee has reported that it will not spin the Blackfoot lift due to rolling blackouts."

Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM

385 posts, read 525,994 times
you wouldn't believe the line at the Java Express drive-thru on 17th this morning! I guess they're running off generators because they were the only place with hot coffee at 8am.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 AM

584 posts, read 575,969 times
It's sounds like it could be a few more hours
Idaho Outage Information

Old 12-05-2013, 02:29 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Default Did You Have What You Needed?

I thought of this thread yesterday. Not only did I lose power, I lost all cell and internet.

I thought I had mentioned the Goshen substation before. Perhaps b/c I went to school with others whose parents worked there and have learned more as an adult, I know what it's like to be w/o power for a day/two.

I thought about the Goshen substation first and almost went to look but decided not to. As I was driving into the 8B immediately south of I.F. I started to get 20-30 email updates about the power outage. I laughed when I saw Goshen substation being the cause.

I was searching for a radio station that Knew and would tell correct info. I finally ended up @ KLCE as they had more info than anyone else. I guess knowing which radio stations will broadcast up to date info about the cause, estimated time until power would be on etc. is something I have to add to my list.

The outage changed my plans for this week given things I couldn't accomplish. But after my phone got "repaired" and I couldn't even call anyone let alone get online last night this a.m. that was probably the one too many given a lot of things.

What did you think of the news report about the outage? I thought the explanation was lame......unless one knows more about that substation, which I'm not willing to post openly. Technically correct, if one can read between the lines, but kind of lame for broadcast.

Heck, there were probably 9-10 vehicles there this a.m., which was more than yesterday.

Anything else you would have liked to have yesterday to make it easier?

I was glad to see the City of Ammon and the LDS church in I.F. open facilities pretty earlier for anyone who needed them. I know others did later too, I just remember hearing about those on the radio.

This is not normal for east ID. Nothing this severe since 1990 or so (per the news). But L. A. was 40.......

Stay warm and safe.

MSR

Old 12-05-2013, 02:40 PM

169 posts, read 269,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Well not a pro, but we've got some things ready in case we get snowed or iced in, or the power goes out over the winter.

1. Two wood stoves (one in the living room and one in the garage) and plenty of fire wood.
2. Cast iron pots and pans to cook food or heat water on the stoves.
3. Plenty of candles, lanterns (battery and crank), flashlights (battery and crank), headlamps........note to self to buy more batteries
4. Enough food on hand to last a while (certainly longer than the power will be out)
5. Plenty of first aid supplies, blankets, bottled water

Good reminder about keeping the gas tank higher - I have a tendency to run it down.
Preparing Your Home

You can install a non-electric standby stove or heater. Choose heating units that are not dependent on an electric motor, electric fan, or some other electric device to function. It is important to adequately vent the stove or heater with the type of chimney flue specified for it. Never connect two heating units to the same chimney flue at the same time.
If you have a wood-burning fireplace, have the chimney cleaned every fall in preparation for use and to eliminate creosote build-up which could ignite and cause a chimney fire.
If the standby heating unit will use the normal house oil or gas supply, have it connected with shut-off valves by a certified tradesperson.
Before considering the use of an emergency generator during a power outage, check with furnace, appliance and lighting fixture dealers or manufacturers regarding power requirements and proper operating procedures.
People with disabilities or others requiring assistance

Consider how you may be affected in a power outage, including:

Your evacuation route — without elevator service (if applicable)
Planning for a backup power supply for essential medical equipment
Keeping a flashlight and a cell phone handy to signal for help
Establishing a self-help network to assist and check on you during an emergency
Enrolling in a medical alert program that will signal for help if you are immobilized
Keeping a list of facilities that provide life-sustaining equipment or treatment
Keeping a list of medical conditions and treatment
If you live in an apartment, advise the property management that you may need assistance staying in your apartment or that you must be evacuated if there is a power outage. This will allow the property manager to plan and make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.
During A Power Outage

First, check whether the power outage is limited to your home. If your neighbours' power is still on, check your own circuit breaker panel or fuse box. If the problem is not a breaker or a fuse, check the service wires leading to the house. If they are obviously damaged or on the ground, stay at least 10 meters back and notify your electric supply authority. Keep the number along with other emergency numbers near your telephone.
If your neighbours' power is also out, notify your electric supply authority.
Turn off all tools, appliances and electronic equipment, and turn the thermostat(s) for the home heating system down to minimum to prevent damage from a power surge when power is restored. Also, power can be restored more easily when there is not a heavy load on the electrical system.
Turn off all lights, except one inside and one outside, so that both you and hydro crews outside know that power has been restored.
Don't open your freezer or fridge unless it is absolutely necessary. A full freezer will keep food frozen for 24 to 36 hours if the door remains closed.
Never use charcoal or gas barbecues, camping heating equipment, or home generators indoors. They give off carbon monoxide. Because you can't smell or see it, carbon monoxide can cause health problems and is life-threatening.
Use proper candle holders. Never leave lit candles unattended and keep out of reach of children. Always extinguish candles before going to bed.
Listen to your battery-powered or crank radio for information on the outage and advice from authorities.
Make sure your home has a working carbon monoxide detector. If it is hard-wired to the house's electrical supply, ensure it has a battery-powered back-up.
Protect sensitive electrical appliances such as TVs, computer, and DVD players with a surge-protecting powerbar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls