Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,371,576 times

Advertisements

Well it appears those warnings for several Rocky Mtn. States to get high winds were accurate. The site says power pole fire....

Are you prepared to be without power? Any tips to share ? And what do you do during the down time?

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Which site and which pole??

Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Which site and which pole??
Gosh, for a minute there ( in my darkened house) I only saw "pole.". I thought that was pretty ambitious in the total dark, Cleosmom. Lol.... Then I saw the rest of your post. You just wanted information and weren't suggesting certain exercises.........

Don't know. Rocky Mtn. Power dispatched crews about 8:40. Apparently, about 600 in zip code 83401 are w/o power. But, I think the #s will be higher when they start counting all of those south of the city limits. Plus 83401 is such a "trash" zip code. It's not Skyline, Ammon or the southern part of the city; however, look at the boundaries someday if you haven't. It's in a Loy of places.
I talked to someone in 83401 and they had power.

Hopefullly, the news and/or Rocky Mtn website will have more.
Please post if you learn more.

Thanks!

MSR.....in the dark a lot of the time, really in the dark tonight.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Now RMP is essentially reporting everything between and including Shelley and Blackfoot. Estimated time on: 4 :00 am.

This doesn't make sense. Pole fire- nice little story. If I weren't worried about falling somewhere and breaking some other bone, I'd go to the Goshen substation. Wonder if parts of UT don't have power too? Maybe I shouldn't write more given what I know about the electrical grids.

Anyone who gets more info please post. I need to pressure some batteruy power now that it's going to be hrs. longer and thousands of customers.

Thanks,

MSR........ Still in the dark

Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 PM

Now RSP says Iona plus other places I listed before. About 1,200 of the 3,600+ have gotten power restored. Now estimated time is 5:00 am and the source is equipment malfunction. Hmmmm

MSR

Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM

Well, I'm in the "trash" zone and I never lost power, nor did we at work, which is in the same zone. Ironic, where I grew up, no one claimed us either. We were a county island smack in the middle of the city Always claimed to be a non-conformist

Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 AM

7,340 posts, read 12,559,322 times
So has the power been restored, MSR? You were lucky it wasn't in the dead of winter...I remember a few years ago when we in SoCal were hit by a giant power failure from Orange County to the Mexican border (supposedly due to a dude hitting the wrong switch....), and our power company didn't report anything at all online for more than 2 hours. We didn't know if it was terrorism, or what on earth happened. I started going on Twitter on my Android, and it was through tweets from the local news stations (and listening to our crank radio) that we got updates about the power failure which lasted from around 5 pm until 3 am.

So we keep crank LED lanterns on hand, extra batteries for flashlights, a spare cellphone battery, and so forth. We also keep a charger in the car so we can charge/use the cellphones if the battery runs down.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Well, I'm in the "trash" zone and I never lost power, nor did we at work, which is in the same zone. Ironic, where I grew up, no one claimed us either. We were a county island smack in the middle of the city Always claimed to be a non-conformist
You're funny Cleosmom. Have you looked at the zip code map? The 401 zip covers such a large area. My sister is in your area, roughly Woodruff and 1st Street. She never lost power either so I didn't think you would.

Maybe a tree is responsible for the one area in Iona or wherever it was. But it was bigger than that to have N. 4B County and Blackfoot involved.

Guess I'll go by the substation today on my way to conquer the world, to see what is happening there. They have 4 houses for F/T workers that are right at the substation so there is always someone there.

Glad you and the business are ok, Cleosmom.

MSR

Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
So has the power been restored, MSR? You were lucky it wasn't in the dead of winter...I remember a few years ago when we in SoCal were hit by a giant power failure from Orange County to the Mexican border (supposedly due to a dude hitting the wrong switch....), and our power company didn't report anything at all online for more than 2 hours. We didn't know if it was terrorism, or what on earth happened. I started going on Twitter on my Android, and it was through tweets from the local news stations (and listening to our crank radio) that we got updates about the power failure which lasted from around 5 pm until 3 am.

So we keep crank LED lanterns on hand, extra batteries for flashlights, a spare cellphone battery, and so forth. We also keep a charger in the car so we can charge/use the cellphones if the battery runs down.
CFF,

Yes, the power came on. I was asleep but guesstimate, given how long it takes to charge some things I probably got it back about 1-1:30 am.

Ob, I have been in the middle of power outages in the dead of winter. That is why I posted the question about what people keep around for emergencies.

Last night it dawned on me I had zero candles here. I had lived so long with another in my house using oxygen I had to give them all away. But now I should start to collect some again.

Maybe we should post an emergency preparedness thread?

Thanks,

MSR.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM

If it were to go out in cold, not sub zero temps mind you, I would be prepared. I am loaded with heat expelling candles, blankets galore, not to mention two heat emitting pups and plenty of reading material. Oh yes, charcoal operated grill. Not too sure how pizza would come out on that but you never know LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls