Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 AM

9 posts, read 38,897 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

WELL, I've been in Idaho Falls now for 1 month! I was so happy to leave Florida. I still am! That's good news right? Haha.
My husband is working(he got to transfer). The money he's making is significantly less though which came as a surprise to us(Not a huge surprise obviously since the cost of living is a lot lower)
So far I really like IF. I love the weather. I love the mountain view! It's the best part, actually. One thing I can say that I'm having a hard time with is the people. I thought I was coming to a small town atmosphere.. I thought people would be really nice and welcoming! They're not! People have been pretty rude to us all in all. Every time I go out to the store or to grab something to eat I encounter someone who is just plain rude. So far I've been cursed at by a man for making a U turn. I don't even think I can repeat the vulgar name he called me on this forum. Another lady yelled at me because I switched lanes? She was in front of me and I was going the minimum speed limit so it's not like I cut her off or anything.
Almost every drive thru we've been to someone has rolled their eyes or had a problem doing their job.

I've lived in a few small towns before and people were always SO nice and welcoming. I was really hoping I would have that here. Our car broke down the day after we got here (awesome luck! That would have been awful if it broke down on our 35 hour trip here! haha) and some really nice man helped us by towing our car with his truck... But, he wasn't even from here! He was visiting from a nearby state.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also, everyone really keeps to themselves here. They don't know you and they don't want to get to know you. Except in my church.. People are SO nice at church and I'm so thankful we have that. Cause honestly my husband and I are having second thoughts on our decision to move here. We have family here, so that's great! If any of you remember me from a while back you know my goal is to be in Colorado. Final destination. We had an opportunity here though.
ANYWAY.. I'm done rambling.. What is everyone elses experience here when you first got here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM

39 posts, read 79,397 times
It's a very nice small town low traffic and low cost of living. We moved here in February built a house and just moved in last month but I am so lonely and miss our friends/family back home. That is great that you have family, if we did I might not be fantasizing about moving back so much! Sorry your experiences so far have been so bad.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM

431 posts, read 526,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightYearsAway View Post
Hey all!

WELL, I've been in Idaho Falls now for 1 month! I was so happy to leave Florida. I still am! That's good news right? Haha.
My husband is working(he got to transfer). The money he's making is significantly less though which came as a surprise to us(Not a huge surprise obviously since the cost of living is a lot lower)
So far I really like IF. I love the weather. I love the mountain view! It's the best part, actually. One thing I can say that I'm having a hard time with is the people. I thought I was coming to a small town atmosphere.. I thought people would be really nice and welcoming! They're not! People have been pretty rude to us all in all. Every time I go out to the store or to grab something to eat I encounter someone who is just plain rude. So far I've been cursed at by a man for making a U turn. I don't even think I can repeat the vulgar name he called me on this forum. Another lady yelled at me because I switched lanes? She was in front of me and I was going the minimum speed limit so it's not like I cut her off or anything.
Almost every drive thru we've been to someone has rolled their eyes or had a problem doing their job.

I've lived in a few small towns before and people were always SO nice and welcoming. I was really hoping I would have that here. Our car broke down the day after we got here (awesome luck! That would have been awful if it broke down on our 35 hour trip here! haha) and some really nice man helped us by towing our car with his truck... But, he wasn't even from here! He was visiting from a nearby state.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also, everyone really keeps to themselves here. They don't know you and they don't want to get to know you. Except in my church.. People are SO nice at church and I'm so thankful we have that. Cause honestly my husband and I are having second thoughts on our decision to move here. We have family here, so that's great! If any of you remember me from a while back you know my goal is to be in Colorado. Final destination. We had an opportunity here though.
ANYWAY.. I'm done rambling.. What is everyone elses experience here when you first got here?
Wow! Sorry its been rough on you so far but as a lifetime IFer, I can't really feel what you're feeling. Maybe I'm just immune to how crabby people can be. In my thirty two years of life I can honestly say that some people are just miserable and enjoy spreading their discontent to others. Those people I ignore. I have a couple handfuls of great friends and a wonderful family and that's all I need. I hope things turn around for you though, this is a great place to live.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,197,696 times
Well, I doubt I've actually seen you yet, but welcome to IF

At the drive ups, you're encountering kids, that should pretty much explain that theory right there, but I know where I work, a small business that is pet related, we are told by our clients they continually come back to us because we are friendly and have a family like atmosphere.

Sorry to hear of your car breaking down, but so glad it happened after you arrived!!

One tip to find the friendlier folks, steer away from the chains and head to the locally owned businesses when possible. Breakfast? I suggest North Highway Cafe on Yellowstone just a short hop up the road from the Post Register.

Now that you've arrived, don't be a stranger, pop in here and we'll help out where we can.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,604,859 times
Idaho Falls lacks some of the charm you will find in small towns, mainly because it has been growing so fast and has attracted many from larger cities. Thus, you will find some bigger city manners mixed in with the natives. Overall though, the city is generally polite and accepting. Perhaps except at the intersection of Hitt and 17th!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,197,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Idaho Falls lacks some of the charm you will find in small towns, mainly because it has been growing so fast and has attracted many from larger cities. Thus, you will find some bigger city manners mixed in with the natives. Overall though, the city is generally polite and accepting. Perhaps except at the intersection of Hitt and 17th!
Ummm, pw, you forgot the roundabout at Hitt & Lincoln

Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM

IF, despite its weaknesses, is still a great place to live. Low cost of living, a growing economy, and plenty of big city shopping opportunities, except on the high end...which generally does not seem to be a problem. If one needs big city amenities, in shopping and restaurants, then perhaps a problem, but most can be be answered in SLC, just 3 hours south. My guess is this is a small percentage.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 PM

Have noticed some new apartment fill-in developing around Woodruff and John Adams Parkway. Also some new construction just east of Hoopes on 12th. Obviously, many developers are seeing some progress in the IF economy.
Still a big chunk of empty property just south of the Park Point/Meadows complexes on Hoopes. Don't see much happening there, but it is a desirable piece of land ready to get locked and loaded. This area has become a residential hub, and I would not be surprised if all available land is developed by 2014 at the latest.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,370,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightYearsAway View Post
Hey all!

Let me join the others, LightYears Away, in welcoming you to the Idaho Falls area. Like my pals have posted I'm sorry you've had the encounters you've had. Glad your church is working out for you!

Honestly, I've noticed for various reasons some people are a little more edgy right now too. Maybe Areva and building just barely starting to come back etc. are some of the reasons. I'm not excusing the behavior shown to you just saying folks everywhere I've been lately (other states too) are a little more sharp and not quite as friendly as what I'm use to.

One suggestion I have is I would encourage you to do is to get involved with some community service or charity etc. You'll find like-minded people who are interested in giving to others and people who care about giving to others are NOT stuck on themselves usually (IMHO). They are also an interesting bunch to meet with a wide variety of backgrounds. I'd be surprised if you were involved in a community service project if you'd be met with some of the experiences you describe above.

Idaho Falls is NOT going to be like some southern cities where I find it difficult to deal with all of the syrup-dripping sweet people calling me honey, dear, darling etc. I am unconfortable with that setting so I set limits when I'm in those areas.

Get involved with some fun hobbies too. BTW - locally owned small businesses usually treat their customers very well.

Good luck and happy holidays

MSR

Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,645,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

Idaho Falls is NOT going to be like some southern cities where I find it difficult to deal with all of the syrup-dripping sweet people calling me honey, dear, darling etc. I am unconfortable with that setting so I set limits when I'm in those areas.

Get involved with some fun hobbies too. BTW - locally owned small businesses usually treat their customers very well.

Good luck and happy holidays

MSR
Well, honey, I'm sorry ya don't like our southern charm and manners! But I'm a southerner who hopes to move to Poky or IF in the next year and a half or so. Drove through the area last year and was completely surprised by the beauty of it all, and I mostly vacation in Wyoming and Montana. I lived in Colorado for 14 years so I'm not unused to cold winters, but I believe the biggest adjustment for the wife and I will be the longer days in the summer and nights in the winter.

In my short visit (driving back to Texas from Whitefish, MT), everyone I met was polite and helpful---even if they didn't call me "darlin"!!!!

Hope to visit there again early next summer.

Incidentally, Dallas, where we currently live, is not REALLY a southern city at all. Far too cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls