Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times

Advertisements

MSR, I can't really describe why I like Elmer's so much. They are an Oregon-based chain, and I used to live there. The food just seems better quality, at a Shari's price. The place is usually crowded, always a good sign that you are going to get a good meal. I'm surprised there are no Elmer's north of Poky. http://www.elmers-restaurants.com/co...mers-locations

Kroger's has a special place in my heart, as most of my family originally comes from the midwest. I remember as a young boy hearing let's go to "The Kroger" and not understanding what it meant. Kroger not only operates Fred Meyer, and Smiths, but also QFC in Seattle and Portland, King Soopers in CO, and Ralphs in Southern California. All these stores offer "Kroger" brand products, which are not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:35 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
MSR, I can't really describe why I like Elmer's so much. They are an Oregon-based chain, and I used to live there. The food just seems better quality, at a Shari's price. The place is usually crowded, always a good sign that you are going to get a good meal. I'm surprised there are no Elmer's north of Poky. elmer's locations | Elmer's Restaurants

Kroger's has a special place in my heart, as most of my family originally comes from the midwest. I remember as a young boy hearing let's go to "The Kroger" and not understanding what it meant. Kroger not only operates Fred Meyer, and Smiths, but also QFC in Seattle and Portland, King Soopers in CO, and Ralphs in Southern California. All these stores offer "Kroger" brand products, which are not bad.
No problem pw72 you don't need to explain something that probably feels nurturing and like home. It happens to all of us.

Elmer's is busy and it holds extra meaning for you given your connections to OR. Any special recommendations at Elmer's? I think it's cool when Nostalgia and memories can be a part of what makes a favorite restaurant a favorite.

One reason I like Smitty's are Werner Geisin's paintings throughout, along with some specialties. It's the total experience that makes the meal special

MSR

Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Love any of Elmer's omelettes, and their corned beef and hash (eggs sunnyside up), which isn't even on their menu, but they will make it for you.

I am probably in some dream world with Krogers. I'm certain their products are not that much better than any other medium priced chain, but you are correct when you say "feels nurturing and like home". That works for me.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM

385 posts, read 526,421 times
If we're talking about dream worlds, I'd be in heaven if we could get Harris Teeter out here

Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 PM

I admit I had to google Harris Teeter. Sounds like a nice regional chain, but don't have an personal experience with it.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:36 AM

208 posts, read 318,229 times
Thanks for all the great info! I sent two days out there this past week and it was all a blur. My realtor took us to a great restaurant and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it!!! My son had a blast at iJump - the trampoline place they opened recently.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
Thanks for all the great info! I sent two days out there this past week and it was all a blur. My realtor took us to a great restaurant and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it!!! My son had a blast at iJump - the trampoline place they opened recently.
Atvwife,

I'm glad to hear you made it to and from Idaho Falls from MA in your whirlwind trip! I hope you accomplished what you needed to on this trip.
Glad your son had fun jumping on tramps. That was a wise thinking on someone's part. He flew thousands of miles in such a short time. I hope you can get some rest as you get packed to move.

MSR

Old 08-31-2013, 07:03 AM

208 posts, read 318,229 times
My shopping experience update after living here for two weeks...
Sunday is the best day thus far.
Avoid 17th like the plague at all times except really early in the morning.
Checkout lines, whether it's Walmart, Grocery store, or whatever...be prepared for slow clerks. They just seem to be on a different speed than the rest of the world and I had to prep my husband for his first trip out, otherwise he might have had a second heart attack. BUT, most are way friendly so it makes it hard to get mad.
Lack of mom and pop stores at least that I've seen yet, but I thought the service was great at Lucy's New York Pizzeria on 25th and they made a great "non-big-chain" pizza.
Not much but my two cents so far

Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM

385 posts, read 526,421 times
Sunday is really bad here if you want to eat at a non-chain restaurant. Seems like every place in town is closed tomorrow!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
Sunday is really bad here if you want to eat at a non-chain restaurant. Seems like every place in town is closed tomorrow!
Not true. Pretty certain North Hiway Diner is open. Up to Heise, the pizza parlor is open. Down to Blackfoot Melina's Mexican restaurant is open.

Atvwife, when you and your husband want a short cruise, drive up to Heise and try their pizza. Scenery is nice and the food is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls