Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 PM

229 posts, read 565,175 times

Advertisements

I found this page:

City of Idaho Falls - rates

$.0595 per kWh is the electricity rate but that doesn't really tell me anything in terms of how many kilowatt hours one must use to keep his/her home comfortably warm in the winter.

So, for anyone who wants to chime in, assume a single story with basement home, approximately 2500 sq feet, how do you heat your home? and what is your typical cost for a month? If electric, how many kilowatt hours on a winter bill?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
I'm in a single story, no basement well insulated home. Being on Rocky Mtn Power, we do the level pay and pay $119 every month. Sure in April & May, Sept and Oct I could have smaller bills, but they would be much larger in Winter as we're 100% electric in our home.

Have no clue about the kilowatt hours as I keep our home an average of 65 year round.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM

I didn't even know there was a Rocky Mountain Power until you mentioned it as I was looking on the Idaho Falls Power site as that is what was linked to from Idaho Falls city website. Do residents have a choice of IF Power or Rocky Mtn or how does that work since both companies seem to service the same area?

I found this on the Rocky Mtn Power site:
http://www.rockymountainpower.net/co...al_Service.pdf

If I'm reading correctly, it sounds like IF Power costs MUCH less than Rocky Mtn Power??

Last edited by Vegas-to-?; 07-07-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-to-? View Post
I didn't even know there was a Rocky Mountain Power until you mentioned it as I was looking on the Idaho Falls Power site as that is what was linked to from Idaho Falls city website. Do residents have a choice of IF Power or Rocky Mtn or how does that work since both companies seem to service the same area?

I found this on the Rocky Mtn Power site:
http://www.rockymountainpower.net/co...al_Service.pdf

If I'm reading correctly, it sounds like IF Power costs MUCH less than Rocky Mtn Power??
You probably are reading it correct. Most folks also use natural gas, but as I said our home is all electric. No, not a choice. with the city your services are combined on one bill; power, garbage and sewer. Outside the city limits is where RMP comes into play and the Iona-Bonneville Sewer District. Water is either private well or Falls Water. No hold on, here comes the fun, you can choose your refuge service

Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Speaking of water, on a lot of the MLS listings I'm seeing, I see an item about water rights. Specifically,
what does "water rights available" mean?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Speaking of water, on a lot of the MLS listings I'm seeing, I see an item about water rights. Specifically,
Guessing that is for irrigation. If that's the case you don't want to live there, you want plowed roads remember?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Actually that might have been on the Boise listings, not Idaho Falls now that I look at them again..

Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Water rights are separate property in Idaho. They can be bought and sold independently from the property. Cleo is correct; water rights pertain mostly to large agriculture and electrical power generation here, but home owners who live outside city limits anywhere in the state, even on a piece of land that's only 1/4 acre or less, may be affected by them.

The issue is becoming increasingly important as climate is changing. The entire west is essentially dry, except for the coastal areas, and the nation has suffered from a persistent drought for 6 years now. 'Water wars ' have been a long-standing issue in the west, and right now, water rights are once again returning to more widespread public attention. The issue always fades after a few water years, then returns once more when dry years follow.

The biggest question is:
Who gets the water? Those who live closest to headwaters have the most reliable water, but most of the huge population centers are far away from headwaters.

Every foot that the Colorado River has, in good or bad years, is already spoken for before the mountain snows ever melt. With Las Vegas competing against Los Angeles for that water, and Mexico also laying legitimate claim to some of the water, the rights of ownership can mean some big city that depends on the Colorado could go dry.

Another part of the question has to do with commercial hydro electricity. Dams always have generators that are powered by water, and it the water level drops too much, the generators won't function. When water levels are low in dams, cities can go dark. What's more important? Electricity or a drinking water supply?

Still another part water controversies includes agriculture. Small farms are a thing of the past; our food supply now comes from very large agribusiness farming, where individual farms have hundreds to thousands of acres in one farm. Irrigation makes our relatively cheap food supply possible, but requires a big and steady water supply.

So- who gets the most water? Big cities? Electrical power producers? Big agriculture? Small farmsteads? Those who live closest to the source, or those farthest away? All are equally legitimate claims for a steadily shrinking natural resource that is beyond human control.

That's why water rights are important. When there is not enough water to go around, someone suffers. If or when
the water situation becomes permanently low, cities like Las Vegas, or Phoenix could become new Detroits, with thousands of people abandoning the cities. In other cities like L.A., water could become rationed, causing great conflict between commercial and residential needs.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM

anyone else care to chime in on the heating cost of a ~2400sq ft home with basement during the winter (and what you typically set your thermostat to?)

Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
I have an approx. 2700 sq.ft. home (split level with 2 basement levels). I have an older high efficiency gas furnace, and am most comfortable at 69º during the winter. I will turn up the heat to around 71 sometimes during the day if there's a real cold snap happening. I found it was cheaper to leave my thermostat at 69 during the day than it was to turn it down when I leave and up when I return. Just before going to bed, I turn it down to around 65.

My home has cold windows, and is about average in insulation. My living room has a brick exterior that is plastered on the inside, so it's low on insulation but is very well sealed from outside infiltration.

My heating bill during the winter months has never been above $115, and is usually around $85-90 most of the winter.

But I'm a native. I am really uncomfortable in rooms that are above 74º most times, and I actually prefer being a little cool to too hot. You may well want higher heat in the winter, coming from Las Vegas, at least until you get used to our winters. You can always spot the natives here- we're the ones who don't button up our coats until it's 10 below or the wind is blowing. A lot of us prefer to layer up rather than have a heavy coat, as the public spaces here are always pretty warm in winter. Layering is a way to fine tune a person's comfort.

Really a lot will depend on how hot you keep your bedrooms and less used spaces. I love sleeping in a very cool room using an electric blanket during the wintertime; my bedroom is probably around 60 or less all winter long as I don't spend much time in it during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: