Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times

Advertisements

So odd this story would come out now. I was thinking last week how many acres and homes Fire Station #5 covers, let alone businesses. And news tonight about staffing possibly being cut?

This is the only fire station on the west side, besides the airport.

If it's an overtime issue, as was stated, move personnel around or even have some float. But decreasing service, no way!

Something in me thinks this possibly a continuation of the IF City counsel meetings the last two weeks.

I guess it's just coincidence the completion of paving Bellin Road, which is where FS #5 is and the "issues" around that only increased, IMHO, at last week's mtg. Funny how the Andco, Smith car dealerships, and Melaleuca all got in the media within 24-36 hrs. to show their County property developments.

So what's the big picture here? Is the City of IF cutting services while paving the rest of Bellin to force the county to build new facilities or pay more $ since the new developments are just barely in the County?

Or do firefighters, paramedics etc, work an excessive amount at one station? If so why?

What do you think is the real story?

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM

Herr are some stats and additional information about the calls each station dispatched. I still think this is related either to the need to build a new downtown station and perhaps even build a larger station to respond to more SW calls. Or making sure F.S. # 5 is staffed as businesses of the above-mentioned county developments need.

In a different discussion (Not CDA), I believe I inadvertently offended someone as I wrote about Melaleuca campus and 3,500 employees. Essentially, I was told the Melaleuca campus will have " more buildings than I could count on two hands." I believe what that person wrote for many reasons.

And I still think the paving of Bellin and the subject of F.S. #5 are connected with protecting the Melaleuca Campus, among other businesses.

Investigation: IF Fire Station No. 5 also partially staffed | News - Home

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-18-2013 at 11:26 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Maybe going to a 1 year agreement is a start at resolving the problem. Or will some developers intervene to get the stations staffed as needed Amid budget crisis, IF fire station no. 5 closes overnight | News - Home
MSR

Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 PM

432 posts, read 533,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Maybe going to a 1 year agreement is a start at resolving the problem. Or will some developers intervene to get the stations staffed as needed Amid budget crisis, IF fire station no. 5 closes overnight | News - Home
MSR
Hopefully money doesn't end up standing in the way of tragedy or life changing events.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Hopefully money doesn't end up standing in the way of tragedy or life changing events.
Amen to that!

Great to have your post IF Guy, I'd like to run somethings by you if I knew which email you read and respond to the most

It seems to me, if you check the dates, annoucements are made of thr core who are not running for City Council again, then the "posturing" began.

Bellin Road pavement completion. WOW! That is what first got my attention. Who was level-headed at the City Council Meeting? Did they even give the Alternate plan time to be discussed? I don't think see or why didn't we hear more about the other west side road that would make a better major road south of West Broadway?

Bellin Road comes up at the next meeting again without resolution.
Something just doesn't seem right to me. The City is going to finish paving Bellin which extends into the County unless they annexed that last piece.

Then out of the blue at the 3rd Council Meeting F.S. #5 has too much overtime etc.? What? Why has this NEVER been an issue before?

There are too many things happening that make me think there is one or more agenda that is not being discussed. Seeing a one year deal convinces me more. In looking at growth and the 3K residents IF added in a year, to me that is not the most important info and patterns to review.

1. County growth is more important as the first responders are responsible for everyone. What was the growth in a year? Was 8B unaware of the growth despite job lag?

2. The city and county have a history of calm discussions to sign the Fire Protection agreement. The fact it was signed only for one year suggests a couple of things to me: #1. Numbers and projections of growth will be done by both parties as IF is going to request more $.

#2. The equipment, manpower (woman power) and any other special chemicals or firefighting, rescue tools and enough ambulances to cover Skyline and the new Andco, Melaleuca and car dealerships has to be addressed. One reason the pavement of Bellin was such a big deal is so F.S.#5 could respond quicker.

3. How much of this has to do with the original offer of Ball Ventures to donate land to the city? If F.S. #1 were built and expanded in SRL , those personal would respond to the development above. Plus with the events center and other being built in SRL, the calls will increase thrre too.

3. How much undeveloped property is on or near to Bellin
that may have plans not yet announced?

4. I've not seen or heard any firefighters/ paramedics say anything about this issue. Has anyone? It strikes me as odd none of them woulf have anything to say unless another plan is in the works.

5. So basically I wonder 3 things.

#1. Is there additional development planned that required Bellin to paved quickly?

#2. Is F.S. #5 too small to cover all it would have to or perhaps in the wrong strategic location especially if a new and expanded FS # 1 were to be built in SRL as was the plan about 4-5 years ago?

#3. Or similar to the combined Sewer Treatment Facility that had to be in place for these acres of lanf be developed into businesses, will we see a Regional or County Fire Station among the new developments?

I know this is a lot of info to think about. When you buy Home Owner's insurance, what will be your response about fire coverage if you are on the West Side of Idaho Falls?

Please post your thoughts of what you think is really happening or if you've heard Firefighters/Paramedics talk about this.

Thanks.

MSR

Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM

432 posts, read 533,944 times
I know they moved fire station 3 (I believe) from woodruff to Ammon road, possibly there is a move for fs 5? Like you wrote, there is a ton of development going on out there, maybe they're looking for the best spot.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Two separate issues.
People were accessing the freeway with an unpaved short-cut road that is on private property, so the first reaction was to annex that little area and pave it. But the folks who live along Bellin road came forth with a larger but better (in my opinion) plan, which would create a Bellin Rd. interstate exit.

Neither had drawn any notice by the city council until the owner of the property barricaded the shortcut. It arose at a time when I.F.'s budget turned out to be shorter than realized.

The Idaho Falls Fire Dept. has been the de facto primary responder in the county for a long time. While the city has agreements for fire protection with the county and with Ammon and Iona, the city fire dept. has a chronic overtime problem. I don't know what the reasons are for the overtime, but I suspect that either the contracts haven't kept up with the costs of increasingly heavier fire services in the county, or some of the funds have been too slow in coming.

The quickest and easiest relief in the budgetary problems was, of course, to close one of the stations, which consolidates the personnel to the remaining stations, thus relieving the overtime.
I'm sure the overtime is only the largest part of the problem. Fuel costs have probably risen since the contracts were written along with other similar costs. And part of the problem is fewer homes are being built inside the city limits, so the tax base isn't expanding as fast as outside the limits. The citizens of Idaho Falls most probably don't want to pay extra taxes for fire services that aren't going to them, while the folks who live outside the city limits still demand protection.

I expect taxes are going to have to rise somewhere for some tax payers. Given the no tax stance of all parties concerned, there's going to be a fight before this is resolved, for sure. I doubt either the county, Ammon, I.F., Lincoln, or Iona, and all the unincorporated rural subdivisions scattered all over the county, are willing to have anyone's house burn with no response.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Great News from my perspective! I got an email alert from the PR. IF Fire Dept. will return full coverage of ALL fire stations! Best decision for citizens IMHO.

Whatever happened or happens with the annexation and rezoning of the rest of Bellin Road for an apartment complex other can be revisited at a different time. Some influential people own property on Bellin. I'm surprised it took this long.

But truly the most important news is IF City Council ordering Chief Ellis to fully staff all the Fire Stations !

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls