U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,068 times

Advertisements

Anyone have some feedback about the local banks,credit unions
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM

3,970 posts, read 13,030,878 times
I have had a good experience with East Idaho Credit Union. They, I believe are one of the largest in the region, with many branches and capable, professional service. However, these days, branches are less important. As for banks, though they don't rank high nationally, I have had decent service with Wells Fargo. I have a feeling that some of Wells Fargo's negative performance among customers is when they took over a large eastern bank, Wachovia. The original Wells in the west still do a decent job.

IMO, B of A, is something to be avoided. And their customer service reviews reflect this.

Last edited by pw72; 07-23-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 7,068 times
Thank you for the info. We prefer credit unions over the larger banks.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 AM

5,252 posts, read 17,416,003 times
I have a few friends who like East Idaho Credit Union, myself I use Westmark Credit Union and have no issues. In fact only positive feedback for a few urgent matters; someone found and used husband's card.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM

349 posts, read 984,054 times
I use East Idaho Credit Union and love the service I get, they also started a cash back reward, you can earn with qualifying purchases. I also have 2 trucks financed with Idaho Central Credit Union, they gave us the best rate on our loans.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:49 PM

10,688 posts, read 6,953,772 times
Default Eicu

So is East Idaho Credit Union federally insured for savings? I assume it has credit or debit cards and checking accounts?

Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM

Yes, except it is NCUA, not FDIC.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 PM

BTW, I use EI Credit Union just for a Certificate of Deposit, so I don't know about their checking, debit cards, etc. I locked in a 5-year CD at 2.0% about a year ago. Not great, but better than anything you can find out there today. However, I hear their loan rates are among the most competitive in the region.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM

10,688 posts, read 6,953,772 times
Default Thanks, pw72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yes, except it is NCUA, not FDIC.
As I've never been a credit union person, but have grown to dislike large banks (we bank at two relatively small banks in Texas), I am not familiar with NCUA. I had to look it up on Wikipedia to get a description, and to learn that it is simply another type of federal protection.

For the sake of any others that may unfortunately fall to my level of ignorance:

Quote:
The National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF) is the federal fund created by Congress in 1970 to insure members' deposits in federally insured credit unions. On July 22, 2010, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act was signed into law and included permanently establishing NCUA’s standard maximum share insurance amount at $250,000. All deposit insurance resources reflect this higher level of coverage.

Credit unions may also offer an array of additional financial services which are not covered by federal insurance.
National Credit Union Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Wardendresden; 07-26-2013 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 AM

28,148 posts, read 19,873,848 times
I'm a member of the idaho Central Credit Union, but only because i have a car loan through them. I really like my Bank of Idaho much better. They're a rather small regional bank that started here but now has offices in Pocatello, Ashton and a few other S.E. Idaho communities.

I started with them when they were a lot smaller, back in 1990, and decided to go with them because I knew most of the founders. They have been very good to work with me, and they don't slap on extra charges on all the commonplace transactions like so many of the big banks now do.

One of the best things they offer is their Kasasa program; it is a no-fee debit account that, if certain requirements are met, actually pay a floating percentage into the account that's based on the prime rate. There is also a Kasasa savings account program that I haven't used.

The Kasasa program developed as a way for smaller and independent banks to keep their customers back when so many banks were selling derivatives. None of the member banks ever got into that, so none took a big hit when the stock market collapsed. Bank of Idaho is trying to get more on-line use of their electronic account statements, automatic electronic deposits and the like, all of which save money with less paperwork. Most of the requirements are geared around using their electronic services.

They also offer regular charge cards, but I found my debit card is always accepted as a charge card, so I cut up all my conventional credit cards long ago. All their other conventional services have very competitive rates to any of the local credit unions, and better than most of the large banks. I've financed two home mortgages through them that went very smoothly and satisfactorily.

Can't say anything but good about them, but there are some other locally owned banks here that are probably just as good. The Bank of Commerce is one, and it's been around for over 60 years or more. Idaho Falls has branches of most of the major banks here and branches from some large regional banks like Zion's National Bank, which is very big in Utah and parts of Nevada and Arizona.

We also have several local credit unions. Some are more restricted in membership than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls