U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,504,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Is it a national chain? First thing that pops into my mind is Runza???
Don't know the actual name, someone mentioned it to me the other day, but my steel trap mind forgot it.

BTW, construction now underway on Smith Chevy/Honda on Sunnyside at exit 116. They may beat Teton VW to the punch!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM

385 posts, read 443,758 times
I'm interested in a few houses in the Iona Rd area. Anybody know of any new development around that area in the coming months/years?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,981,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
I'm interested in a few houses in the Iona Rd area. Anybody know of any new development around that area in the coming months/years?
Send a pm to IF guy and ask. It's a great question and Ucon/ Iona are going to grow the way Ammon started. If I learn something before IF Guy gets back to you I'll post it. IF Guy and I once discussed that very topic a few years back but that one I can't remember the answer. Besides two things have changed:

1. Ammon's continued growth makes it larger than Blackfoot and some want smaller areas with land.

2. Civis anticipated growth.

Let us know what you learn please

MSR

Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 AM

385 posts, read 443,758 times
Thanks -- that would be great. Any info, from new gas stations to grocery stores to fast food to subdivisions, would be appreciated.

A lot of that area is either completely undeveloped or completely run down (salvage yards, unsightly houses, fields of weeds). I wouldn't want the area to become the next Ammon, but it sure would be nice to have a few options nearby.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:22 AM

25,940 posts, read 17,336,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Send a pm to IF guy and ask. It's a great question and Ucon/ Iona are going to grow the way Ammon started. If I learn something before IF Guy gets back to you I'll post it. IF Guy and I once discussed that very topic a few years back but that one I can't remember the answer. Besides two things have changed:

1. Ammon's continued growth makes it larger than Blackfoot and some want smaller areas with land.

2. Civis anticipated growth.

Let us know what you learn please

MSR
My brother lives just outside the Iona city limits. Back around 2008, he and a bunch of residents grew alarmed over a huge planned subdivision that was going to be built on the foothills just east of the Iona city limits, between the Iona and Lincoln roads' intersections with the Bone road. As planned, the subdivision would have had well over a two thousand new people moving in, with only 2 streets as exits and entrances to the division. So many new people would have completely overloaded the Iona schools, and would have strained the Iona water and sewer district close to the point of system failure while adding no new tax base, as it was all outside the city limits.

The project was financed by First Arkansas Bank, one of the leading banks that was involved in the derivatives market, and one of the first to fail when the market collapsed. FAB bought and stirred many mortgages here and sold them to the big banks, and went under totally in the bank failures.

There was some platting done, and a couple of proposed streets were partially paved with accompanying utility lines, but the owners went broke. My bro was part of a committee who tried to get it stopped in the Bonneville County Planning and Zoning Committee, but their efforts failed, thank God. The subdivision would have become a nightmare for both Iona and the folks who bought houses in it. Access into the subdivision was dangerously limited and all the proposed streets were twisty. A fire truck or ambulance could easily have been trapped in an impassible traffic jam that would have occurred twice or more a day.

Since then, home building in Iona has picked up again some lately. Since the big subdivision is now bankrupt, it's likely never to be completed now, but anything is possible, always. Hopefully, if the titles are ever purchased, a better housing plan will be developed for the land.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 AM

25,940 posts, read 17,336,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
MSR, I understand you not wanting to comment on KPVI. But I will.

KPVI, to their credit tries hard, but the writing was on the wall when Brenda Baumgartner departed and they didn't replace her. IMO, their product is so far behind KIFI and KIDK, it isn't even funny. They look like something out of 1987, and beyond a couple of good on-set anchor, sportscaster, and weather guy, they are #3 in my mind. I will say this again, perhaps in a more polite way. Now is the opportunity for KPVI to upgrade their product. I just don't think their owners really care about that. "Just keep the margins" is probably what they are thinking, IMO. And don't depend on NBC to bail them out, NBC is STILL struggling in the network ratings, currently at #3 behind CBS and Fox.
The company that owns KPVI has a bunch of TV stations throughout S. Idaho and SW Montana. I think that, like all the other over-the-air stations, the past 7 years have been very hard on it, but not all their stations are just NBC affiliates. Some may be doing better than KPVI, or worse.

I have to disagree about Brenda. While she was a pretty good newsreader, she had big marketing ambitions and a less stellar track record in that regard. She returned to TV partly, I believe, out of necessity. When she finally found another marketing job, I'm sure she was very happy to leave her news anchor job behind.

I'm not trashing the lady, nor disparaging her abilities, but I did have some dealings with her twice, when working for 2 different outfits. In my experience, she's a nice lady who can be difficult to work with.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,504,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The company that owns KPVI has a bunch of TV stations throughout S. Idaho and SW Montana. I think that, like all the other over-the-air stations, the past 7 years have been very hard on it, but not all their stations are just NBC affiliates. Some may be doing better than KPVI, or worse.

I have to disagree about Brenda. While she was a pretty good newsreader, she had big marketing ambitions and a less stellar track record in that regard. She returned to TV partly, I believe, out of necessity. When she finally found another marketing job, I'm sure she was very happy to leave her news anchor job behind.

I'm not trashing the lady, nor disparaging her abilities, but I did have some dealings with her twice, when working for 2 different outfits. In my experience, she's a nice lady who can be difficult to work with.
I think you make some good points, but KPVI seems to have taken an approach of "just getting by". Like I said, they try hard, but seem to lack resources to do the job right. Example, they have tried a local daytime-like show at 4pm, but it really lacks in substance and look. I also believe they don't understand talent. They have a gifted morning female anchor who should be at the desk at 5 & 6, but isn't. Whoever is running KPVI at this point is missing some great opportunities.

As for Brenda, I really don't care how she was "off the air". The most important thing was her on-air presence, and she did really well there.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

What a gentleman you are, Mike. Brenda probably was the best on KPVI after her time on another IF -based channel. I've seen her in many "stages" and had some difficulty absorbing her different aspirations.

I believe you are correct about why she returned to TV. She and her children experienced some impossible-to-know circumstances with her first husband. Maybe that was part of why she can be so difficult to work with, I don't know. I don't want to comment further about her or her TV work or personal life openly.

What I will say is when she has appeared in other tv markets (other states) promoting her books at stations where those she had worked with in eastern ID as beginners were now hosting shows or features for news, it was hard for me to condense all I knew about her to realize she was now an author promoting her books.

It would be safe to say she "networks" well.

I also found it interesting her daughter was able to secure a reporting job at the same station (KPVI).

I wish her the best and hope she has found her niche and personal happiness.

MSR

Old 08-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I think you make some good points, but KPVI seems to have taken an approach of "just getting by". Like I said, they try hard, but seem to lack resources to do the job right. Example, they have tried a local daytime-like show at 4pm, but it really lacks in substance and look. I also believe they don't understand talent. They have a gifted morning female anchor who should be at the desk at 5 & 6, but isn't. Whoever is running KPVI at this point is missing some great opportunities.

As for Brenda, I really don't care how she was "off the air". The most important thing was her on-air presence, and she did really well there.
I agree about KPVI not utilizing talent currently, pw72.
And I agree Brenda was an on air presence. I think I'll just leave it at that. Send me a PM if you want to know more of Brenda's eastrrn ID airtime story or what she would do while visiting other stations as a guest.

BTW, I saw that printed blurb on KIDK saying Sinclair filed with the FCC to sell to the new media company. My understanding, which could be very wrong, is this new company is owned either completely or partially by a former Sinclair employee.

MSR

Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 PM

What do you think?

Check out the info about KIDK/KXPI. When is says that NPG and Vista West have a shared agreement for "back office, engineering and sales" do you think KIDK is going to add more staff and perhaps more newcasts - or local specialty programming? Or add at least two more over-the-air stations so KIDK has 3 sub-channels let alone if more were added to KXPI? I can see how another Spanish-speaking and other targeted channels could do well locally.

Read the announcement and add your thoughts please. We do know from past history certain media read our comments here. They may or may not be reading these comments, I don't know. I do know questions posted earlier are answered in this link. It is also interesting how rapidly and prominently this was posted.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

LocalNews8.com | KIDK.com | KXPI - Breaking and Local News, Weather, Sports, Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Jackson, Rexburg, Blackfoot, then click on "About Us" and read the
"Addition Information" to click on KIDK/KXPI.

Sorry I can't post the direct link from this phone. But this way lets you see the new section.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls