U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
Reputation: 6270

Advertisements

The purpose of starting this thread separately than the development blog is sometimes we wonder what happened to business X. Or is information we may have learned in various ways accurate.

The development thread most likely will be quite busy with known developments. This thread is more about possible changes and/ or expansion of existing businesses in the Idaho Falls Metro Area.

The new idea for flights between I. F. and Boise would be a better fit here than where I posted it in developments.

And what I stumbled across is about KIDK / KXPI potentially being sold to Vista West Media (Fisher Communications with a pending sell to VistaWest Media). Can anyone add more? I can't learn about VistaWest Media.....I wonder if it is totally new group and perhaps it is local or partially local ownership? Lots of unknowns and something worth watching for many reasons, IMHO.

There could be sensitive subjects here and some may not be able to post. That is understood. However, now maybe more can comment in both threads.

Finally, is that Co-Op still open downtown?

Post your questions, answers and other relevant comments please. Looking forward to your posts.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2013, 02:22 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
Reputation: 6270
It appears Sinclair Broadcasting could be getting into out market as well. I'd like additional tv options, if this happens. Along with with VistaWest Media potentially entering the market local tv news and viewing selections could change the local tv scene a lot.







MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 12,462,328 times
Reputation: 1576
According to what I am hearing Sinclair bought Fisher, owner of KIDK. Now they are simply spinning off Fisher's smaller markets. Complicating the issue is Fisher has an operating agreement with News-Gazette, who owns KIFI. So how that plays out is anyone's guess. Perhaps the merger of KIDK and KIFI news will be no more. Or perhaps not. This is a real crapshoot at this point. Can't be a comfortable time for employees of KIDK/KIFI right now. And, agreed, I would expect to see more changes in the local tv news scene in the next year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
According to what I am hearing Sinclair bought Fisher, owner of KIDK. Now they are simply spinning off Fisher's smaller markets. Complicating the issue is Fisher has an operating agreement with News-Gazette, who owns KIFI. So how that plays out is anyone's guess. Perhaps the merger of KIDK and KIFI news will be no more. Or perhaps not. This is a real crapshoot at this point. Can't be a comfortable time for employees of KIDK/KIFI right now. And, agreed, I would expect to see more changes in the local tv news scene in the next year.
So the deal is done?

I might be missing something here but I absolutely expect KIDK and KIFI to be separate again. Before things slowed down in the economy, having three separate stations and staffs was a given.

Whether KIFI and KIDK continue to share space and television resources-I have no idea as I know zero about that stuff. What I do know is open positions for reporters, I think one morning anchor and other positions still remain posted in many places.

The economy is doing better but not back to where it was. Never in my life have I heard a tv commercial advertising positions at a station including supervisors and other non-on air personalities as I've heard this week on channels 3 and 8.


To me, the continued hiring of staff and more reporters, anchors means different news on air personalities and supporting workers for a separate news casts.

How this all gets worked out with News- Gazette, I don't know. Maybe a local venture with VistaWest Media is created.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 05:18 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 12,462,328 times
Reputation: 1576
Local tv stations in Eastern Idaho generally hire young, up and comers on 2-year contracts. Most leave after 2 years. So they are not really increasing hiring, rather just replacing those who move on. I.F/Poky is generally considered a larger "starter" market. As in you start there, then hopefully move up. I say, "larger starter market, because there are certainly smaller markets where East Idaho gets their talent, as well as many from BYU, BYU-I, and ISU.

(This does not apply in general to the main anchors and weather guys, as they are better paid and usually are past the ladder-climbing desire.)

BTW, anyone remember this L.A. newscaster?

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/1857519...sya-karapetyan

Last edited by pw72; 08-03-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
25,680 posts, read 17,130,616 times
Reputation: 19612
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Local tv stations in Eastern Idaho generally hire young, up and comers on 2-year contracts. Most leave after 2 years. So they are not really increasing hiring, rather just replacing those who move on. I.F/Poky is generally considered a larger "starter" market. As in you start there, then hopefully move up. I say, "larger starter market, because there are certainly smaller markets where East Idaho gets their talent, as well as many from BYU, BYU-I, and ISU.

(This does not apply in general to the main anchors and weather guys, as they are better paid and usually are past the ladder-climbing desire.)

BTW, anyone remember this L.A. newscaster?

Araksya Karapetyan, FOX 11 News Reporter - Los Angeles Local News, Weather, and Traffic
I do! She was a remarkably pretty girl, and I remember her delivery as being smoother and more polished than most of the kids who come and go.
I recall she wasn't here for very long, too. the savvy kids who come here don't waste any time in sending out their reels and resumes right away. Rising in their profession can happen fast for those who have the right stuff.

I'm not so sure the odd marriage of KIDK and KIFI will break up. I once did a lot of contract work for KIDK (and less for KIFI).

KIDK under Fisher Communications was suffering from lack of budget in maintenance and replacement the last time I worked for them; the station once had a big bunch of Kliegh flood lamps, which were very high quality but very old.
The stuff I did often required final work under the lights, and their news set used to be huge physically. Quite a bit of time passed before I did my last work there, and when I went in, I noticed how dark the studio had become, and how much had been chopped off the set. It was obvious to me that Fisher was pinching pennies and cutting corners there.

At the same time, KIFI's owners were making major investments in newer and up to date equipment. Everything is more compact at KIFI- all of KIDK's spaces were a lot roomier, but KIFI was spending money on what's seen on air, and KIDK wasn't anymore.

The KIDK studio is really 50's, but it's all wired and still ready to go. A new owner will have to drop some serious money on the building to get it up to speed in a very changed broadcasting environment, but they would have to drop even more building a brand new studio.

With the advent of all the new digital side bands opening up, there's great potential for over-the-air broadcasting; for the first time, these stations can actually cut some of the business away from cable and satellite. Expansion is a risk in a market this size, but hopefully, the new owners may be looking at demographics and considering the service area to be worth risking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 12,462,328 times
Reputation: 1576
This KIDK/KIFI situation I'm sure will be sorted out. However, the old KIDK building is done. It has been converted to a sign shop. I don't expect KIDK to move back there. The other possible outcome would be, as mentioned above, a new contract between the new owner of KIDK and KIFI, or seperate companies that share the same facilities. Not unheard of, but sharing anchors and weather people may be at risk here.

So while KIDK/KIFI continues to be a work in progress, KPVI in Pocatello (NBC), seems kind of like a deer in the headlights. If they simply put a little investment into the product they could gain market control. Now is the time to get off the pot or pee. I don't expect it, however.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
This KIDK/KIFI situation I'm sure will be sorted out. However, the old KIDK building is done. It has been converted to a sign shop. I don't expect KIDK to move back there. The other possible outcome would be, as mentioned above, a new contract between the new owner of KIDK and KIFI, or seperate companies that share the same facilities. Not unheard of, but sharing anchors and weather people may be at risk here.

So while KIDK/KIFI continues to be a work in progress, KPVI in Pocatello (NBC), seems kind of like a deer in the headlights. If they simply put a little investment into the product they could gain market control. Now is the time to get off the pot or pee. I don't expect it, however.
The kind of "odd" interesting thing to me about that sign shop in KIDK's former building with their own sign. The pole with their business sign still has the shell of KIDK's old sign. What kind of message does that send to potential clients? It also appears to me this sign company is doing some auto "signs" AKA detailing.

I'll be the first to say between the location, their presentation of their own business sign etc. I'm confused by the business. Perhaps that is a temporary location until different space is ready or other.

KPVI - where to start? Best for me to not to make a comment.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 02:53 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I do! She was a remarkably pretty girl, and I remember her delivery as being smoother and more polished than most of the kids who come and go.
I recall she wasn't here for very long, too. the savvy kids who come here don't waste any time in sending out their reels and resumes right away. Rising in their profession can happen fast for those who have the right stuff.

I'm not so sure the odd marriage of KIDK and KIFI will break up. I once did a lot of contract work for KIDK (and less for KIFI).

KIDK under Fisher Communications was suffering from lack of budget in maintenance and replacement the last time I worked for them; the station once had a big bunch of Kliegh flood lamps, which were very high quality but very old.
The stuff I did often required final work under the lights, and their news set used to be huge physically. Quite a bit of time passed before I did my last work there, and when I went in, I noticed how dark the studio had become, and how much had been chopped off the set. It was obvious to me that Fisher was pinching pennies and cutting corners there.

At the same time, KIFI's owners were making major investments in newer and up to date equipment. Everything is more compact at KIFI- all of KIDK's spaces were a lot roomier, but KIFI was spending money on what's seen on air, and KIDK wasn't anymore.

The KIDK studio is really 50's, but it's all wired and still ready to go. A new owner will have to drop some serious money on the building to get it up to speed in a very changed broadcasting environment, but they would have to drop even more building a brand new studio.

With the advent of all the new digital side bands opening up, there's great potential for over-the-air broadcasting; for the first time, these stations can actually cut some of the business away from cable and satellite. Expansion is a risk in a market this size, but hopefully, the new owners may be looking at demographics and considering the service area to be worth risking.
Mike,

It's nice to see some posts from you increasing other facets of some discussions here. I hope others will add their views too based on what they think could work or experience they've had.

I agree the Idaho Falls - Pocatello- Jackson market is a training market for most reporters/anchors. It seemed for many years when a reporter accepted a new position about 90% + went either to SLC or Boise. I believe more are going to different markets. Seeing Kylie B. leave for the station she did is disappointing to me. She'll make it work but as many who started in eastern ID have learned, this isn't such a bad market all things considered. Of course there are many reasons on-air personalties move including transfer of a spouse or wanting to be closer to family etc.

Looking at the bios of current on-air talent, eastern ID didn't use to get new reporters who had done internships or paid positions writing or producing for major cable networks or assignments out of the country.

Compared to the bios of reporters/anchors I use to read at the tv websites, I believe NPG changes have attracted a different type of "starter" reporter now, if it is a newbie they want. That is part of what has been different about the ads I've read for on-air positions that makes me wonder not simply about replacing reporters but adding more.

When new hires have had internships or paid positions in NYC, DC and other large markets writing and producing, I think it is a shift to be advertising for specific levels of experience. Time will tell.

I didn't know the terminology to use but thanks to you I now do.

I've wondered about the thought you wrote above about expanding
the over-the-air broadcasts in the sub digital channels. I could see that idea being a winner in this market.

Thanks for the additional info.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 03:10 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
Reputation: 6270
An interesting read at the KIDK/ KXPI website. I can't paste it here with this phone. Search for this title:
"KIDK and KXPI under new ownership." It's dated 7/14/2013.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top