Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 PM

9 posts, read 9,637 times

Advertisements

Hello. This is my first post here. There is a possibility our family will be moving to Idaho Falls for my husband's job. None of us has been there previously. I've searched the forum, but I have some questions.
First, are there any shops with good selections of dressmaking fabrics (not quilting fabrics). Any sewing machine stores where I could get my machines serviced? And what about a local chapter of the American Sewing Guild
Second, are there stores that sell Pendleton clothes or similar clothes for women?
Third, is it possible to get tickets to the I F Symphony concerts during the year, or does the season sell out to season ticket holders? Are there other classical music events available, e. g. chamber music, recitals, etc?
Thanks for any information. I've always lived in larger urban area, and I don't know quite what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:11 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likesim View Post
Hello. This is my first post here. There is a possibility our family will be moving to Idaho Falls for my husband's job. None of us has been there previously. I've searched the forum, but I have some questions.
First, are there any shops with good selections of dressmaking fabrics (not quilting fabrics). Any sewing machine stores where I could get my machines serviced? And what about a local chapter of the American Sewing Guild
Second, are there stores that sell Pendleton clothes or similar clothes for women?
Third, is it possible to get tickets to the I F Symphony concerts during the year, or does the season sell out to season ticket holders? Are there other classical music events available, e. g. chamber music, recitals, etc?
Thanks for any information. I've always lived in larger urban area, and I don't know quite what to expect.
Hello Likesim,

I would recommend you search online for the webpages of what businesses can service your sewing machines. Brand name dealers may have brand-certified technicians. In addition, just research those who service sewing machines.

2. Contact Pendelton and ask.

3. Contact the Idaho Falls Symphony and ask. You might start making friends and contacts before you have to move, if you move.

Good luck preparing for what is next.

MSR

Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Macy's sells Pendelton products, and Vickers or other Western Wear stores here may as well, too. You could check the Pendleton website for local stores; most of those companies have access to where their goods are sold. Folks have worn Pendleton here since the company's earliest beginnings.

The Symphony season tickets are usually available year round. The best seats, of course, are sold out first, but the Civic Auditorium's seating is very good overall, and the acoustics are excellent.

Idaho Falls has lots of folks who sew and make quilts. While I dont know it for a fact, Im pretty sure there is a local chapter of the Sewing Guild. If not, there are a lot of very good seamstresses here, so there has to be an informal club or two. Any of the sewing shops here would most likely have plenty of info for you.

Idaho Falls is the major shopping hub for a huge surrounding area. We have just about everything most cities twice it's size have, and the same is true with our medical facilities. Folks travel for as much as 150 miles away to come shop here.

I.F. is also a cultural hub as well. We have the Museum of Idaho here, one of the best in the Intermountain West, a good art museum, a large movie theater complex with about 14 screens, a good Civic Auditorium, and an equally good civic Arts center that is attached to one of Idaho's old movie palaces of the past, the Paramount theater. There's a local bluegrass festival and many other events that take place along our greenbelt, which is a developed walkway that surrounds the falls on both sides of the river.

In addition, I.F. is just now in the beginnings of constructing a 4-season Events Center that will be large enough to bring in major touring groups, hold indoor rodeos and big tuck events, and will have smaller spaces that can accommodate smaller events at the same time. It will also be a 4-season recreational sports public center. It's due to be completed in about 3 years.
At present, our YMCA is a popular fitness center, as is our indoor civic swimming pool, and there is a larger private fitness center as well. We have many active sports clubs and groups, a bunch of civic baseball fields that double as soccer fields, and lots of parks, big and small.

This is a very family oriented town.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 AM

9 posts, read 9,637 times
Thank you, MSR and BanjoMike, for your helpful replies. I will check out your suggestions. The new Events Center sounds very promising, and all the sports will appeal to my children. I'm happy to hear there are many seamstresses in IF. There are virtually none where I live now, and so my sewing friends are all online. Thanks again, and I may have new questions after we visit this week.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likesim View Post
Thank you, MSR and BanjoMike, for your helpful replies. I will check out your suggestions. The new Events Center sounds very promising, and all the sports will appeal to my children. I'm happy to hear there are many seamstresses in IF. There are virtually none where I live now, and so my sewing friends are all online. Thanks again, and I may have new questions after we visit this week.
You're welcome Likesim.

I always am hesitant about clothes as different stores will select different lines. The web orders and delivers clothes in I.F. too.

Check out Locable CCE | as well as their Facebook page. I don't see so I don' t know what organizationists exist. Lots of the churches will even have sewing events. Post your question on Facebook about sewing and I'll bet you someone will have the answer.

There are superb repair sewing machine shops buy it depends on the brands you own.

Here are a couple of links that might help a bit mote ( Banjo gave you some good ones. There are dance studios, Karate etc. IF High School hhas a Drum Line too.

Newcomers of Idaho Falls - Home

This is a great link - to the Art Museum, fun stuff like Battle of yhe Bands, Youthjam held at the same time as the Duckies (plastic( get dumped in the river after they have been purchased as a Rotary Fundraiser for the Greenbelt. SOME great prizes and this year proceeds will be used on Splash Pools along the Greenbelt. There are also free Tuesday Night. Concerts throughout the summer on Greenbelt.

You might want to hang on to this link : Idaho Falls Arts Council and the Chukars AA Baseball are at .500 today.

Those should get you started.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls