U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 12:23 PM

13 posts, read 60,680 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anybody could provide any more information about this story: Pro Libertate: "You Know How to Leave": Scenes from a Police Riot in Idaho Falls

It's obviously written with some bias so I want to see if there's another side to the story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 05:57 AM

27,063 posts, read 18,338,252 times
I read about the incident, but don't know much.
For sure, we've had more bad cop incidents than usual for the past couple of years, and the police department has come under criticism for over-reacting, but I'm not sure if I would call the incident in question a police riot, even though it seems there are always more cops at a scene than in the past.

For sure, the force is changing. A lot of the older cops I know are retiring now, and I'm pretty sure some of their replacements are coming in from outside of Idaho and/or Idaho Falls.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:19 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,937,375 times
I heard about this. Cops with little wiener syndrome. There's nothing more disgusting then people in position of power that have behavior issues and do not know how to react properly. The policy chief should resign and his little pet policemen who were involved should be fired and their pictures printed in The Post Register. This is bad PR for Idaho Falls.

Is there a police ombudsman in I.F.?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM

27,063 posts, read 18,338,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I heard about this. Cops with little wiener syndrome. There's nothing more disgusting then people in position of power that have behavior issues and do not know how to react properly. The policy chief should resign and his little pet policemen who were involved should be fired and their pictures printed in The Post Register. This is bad PR for Idaho Falls.

Is there a police ombudsman in I.F.?
The Police Chief is new to the job, but I don't think the Chief should be fired. Someone needs to be at the top to correct the problem.

I don't feel the same way about the officers, though, from what I've gathered. While I'm one to let justice sort things out, in this case I think at least one should be suspended until a very through examination is done at the least.

I also think that all the big police pile ups on minor civic disturbances should stop immediately. I don't know why so many cops show up these days at them, but I tend to believe a lot of it comes from boredom and a need for an adrenaline boost for some. No matter what the cause is, two cops should be enough to handle any party that goes out of control but has no violence going on. 4 or more police at such a disturbance makes the force look cowardly and lacking authority.

If a cop has to be a bully to perform, he's a bad cop in my opinion. I've seen good officers use their law enforcement ability very well with no bullying needed. Any cop carries the full weight of enforcement with him, but a bully probably lacks the self-confidence needed to be a police officer. At least one of the cops resorted to bullying from what I gathered.

And a good cop needs to be able to control his temper. Expecting to get hassled is part and parcel of the job, and self-control has to be used all the time, every day.

Resorting to pepper spray in such a trivial matter as a loud party should be the very last thing a cop should do, not the first.

I once watched a cop in St. Anthony cool off two big drunks who were hell bent on starting a bar fight. They fought each other first, and they moved the fight off the street into the bar. The officer walked in calmly, never raised his voice, and cuffed both in about 5 minutes. He obviously knew them and they obviously knew him, and the fight went out of them immediately.
Our cops know our town's troublemakers. There should not be such a difference between St. Anthony and Idaho Falls. There was no need for this incident to escalate they way it did.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 AM

836 posts, read 1,516,959 times
I wonder how many are veterans of mideast situations who may use the same tactics on citizens that they learned in the military.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 PM

6,152 posts, read 4,458,294 times
I read the blog article, but after reading the first paragraph that included the words lunged, snarled, swarmed and writhing, realized that this article could not be construed as being anything close to an impartial reporting of the facts.

If there are news articles or police reports that provide detailed information and facts re: how this incident all went down I wish somebody would post them. They would give information needed to determine whether or not there was an over-reaction on the part of the IFPD in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: