U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:32 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,531,551 times

Advertisements

nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 AM

4,793 posts, read 16,653,214 times
I guess I'm a bit different... when I knew the very week we were putting Cleo down, I was looking on Petfinder. Not so much for me, but for our male dog who was going on 11 then. It was a now or way later situation. It threw my husband off course for a few minutes, then he understood.

Carly is not, nor will any dog, be our Cleo, but there's always room for fur love in my heart.

Everyone has their own time line and pw72, I'm hoping your brother finds his. There is easily one dog out there that deserves his heart.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 AM

10,688 posts, read 6,326,842 times
Default Old dogs start out as young ones--don't this old dog know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Thank you so much cleosmom. For quite a few years I've believed in the old saying "the more I get to know people, the more I like my dog". She was a beautiful girl, and had a beautiful spirit with a heart full of love. The house seems very empty and quiet without her.
"There's only three things worth a solitary dime,
But old dogs, and children, and watermelon wine.

Tom T Hall Old Dogs Children And Watermelon Wine - YouTube

Come Saturday morning, this will be me. Who's up for sleeping in this weekend?

One of these is waiting for you Juneau.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 AM

6,131 posts, read 4,333,168 times
Warden, it's funny you would post the video by Tom T Hall. My husband has been referencing it ever since Jamie died.

My parents were the kind of people who left dogs in the country when they were tired of them. I still have a very strong memory of being a kid, of us dumping a dog in the country, and me watching through the back window as we drove away from it. That dog ran as fast as it could down the middle of the road, chasing after us until we drove out of sight. I don't think a kid forgets that kind of thing.

I never had a dog again until I promised my youngest son in Canada, that when we moved to Tennessee we would get a puppy. I still remember telling a little boy of about 10 that he could spend some of his newspaper route money if he wanted, and him declaring "No. It's for my puppy!" He never spent a dime of his money for many months, even though I told him that we were going to adopt a dog from a shelter. No........the money was for his dog.

After we got down to TN we walked into the local shelter and I was whispering to my husband "I don't want a dog, I don't want a dog" but I had promised Chris. We adopted Roxy (a part Irish Setter part something else) who was a scared, shaking, tiny little six week old pup all by herself in the world. Chris chose her. Within a few days we found out she had Parvo but my son was already bonded with her, and we paid the money to make her well.

A couple of years later Jamie showed up. A happy, healthy, bouncing, dancing, clueless, life-is-good five month old. She chose us.

A couple of years after that Casey showed up. I was working in the yard and heard a noise behind me. This tall dark-red dog was limping up the driveway. I walked over to her, and she had open sores all over her body and I could see every rib in her body. I picked up this dog (who was still heavy even though she was skin and bones - I think she was a plott) and carried her over to our covered porch. When I tried to sit her down on the concrete she cried out in pain. Leaving her standing, I went into the house and grabbed as many old blankets as I could find. By the time I walked outside she was gone. I looked around for her and she was walking across our lawn and towards an opening leading to the neighbors' field. I ran after her (I didn't think she would make it for even one more day at that point), carried her back to the porch, carefully lay her down, and proceeded to burst into tears. I had never personally seen a dog in such poor condition, and my heart ached for a dog that looked like she was in a lot of pain.

We tied her up to a post underneath the porch and gave her food and water for a week - we were too afraid to take her to the vet until she was stronger. By the end of the week we found out that she had heart worms. We kept her tied to the long rope under the porch for months while this dog gained weight, got healthy, regained her strength. She turned into a beautiful dog and we kept her for years.

I couldn't take three dogs with me when I got divorced and bought a house in town. Not enough room, working full time, training for adventure racing full time, not enough emotional energy. So I took Jamie with me because she was the dog my husband had never liked.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM

10,688 posts, read 6,326,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Warden, it's funny you would post the video by Tom T Hall. My husband has been referencing it ever since Jamie died.
Great story, Juneau.

And just perhaps it's not "funny" I would post that video. Perhaps the Good Lord is using a perfect stranger to encourage you.

Anyway, I hope so.

Blessings.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,012,977 times
This info may make some happy. KIFI, CW back on DirecTV | News - Home

Old 10-25-2013, 10:12 PM

Now could Cable One and Turner start to turn the corner? Time is running out for me.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:06 PM

Apparently Cable One and Turner have reached agreement and the stations will all be back on within days.
I honestly was "this" close to dropping them.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Apparently Cable One and Turner have reached agreement and the stations will all be back on within days.
I honestly was "this" close to dropping them.
6 keystrokes? LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Default Thanks for the extra effort

It's nice to have friends here who care.

Today, a special thanks to Juneau for a special act of kindness. You must have some of my posts in other forums. Thanks for taking the time and effort for sending me what you did.

There may not be a lot of us who post the most here, but I think we truly do care about each other. It's a nice group to be a part of.....

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls