Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:52 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Often those thinking about moving or are moving post a lot for a while. A few have posted after their moves.

<snip>
Warden, if you're planning to move here please post here so we all know how you are. I'd love for you to start a thread about most useful roads etc.

MSR
I've been dreading composing this post, and only do so out of respect for all of you who have been so kind with recommendations and suggestions. But it appears we will not be headed to Idaho after all.

On my return from our trip, I drove through Denver to visit my son and his family who live in Parker, at the southern end of the metroplex. He and I stayed up until 3:00 a.m. one morning talking and he literally begged me with tears in his eyes to move back to Colorado. They miss us from when we lived there before, and the separation we've had for the past four years has been difficult on them as well as on us. When I told him we just couldn't afford it, he pointed out that he and his wife are making almost $200k per year and would help us supplement whatever shortfall we have in monthly income.

He asked where would I live if I knew for certain I had only two more years to live. 600+ miles away where I might see my granddaughter twice a year, or in the Denver area where I could see her a minimum of once per month.

When viewed like that, it makes your choices become much more critical.

We still love Idaho as a state, all the folks as friendly and helpful, and I think there are going to be times when I will wish I could hear the wind howling in from the high desert, go out for a drive and smile at what some of you euphemistically call "traffic," and sit down in a diner where after awhile everyone there would know me.

It won't be like that in Denver----but then there is my only grandchild to think about. And at the end of your years' life becomes like a funnel, broad in the beginning but narrowing down in its finality. And as beautiful as Idaho and its people are, I've come to the conclusion that family has to be my first choice for my own end times.

But thank you much, Banjomike, MSR, Cleosmom, and others, for your time and thoughts, your helpfulness and knowledge, and your enthusiasm for your great state.

I did tell my wife, that even if we live in Colorado, we're going to take another long trip into Idaho.

God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
You made the right choice, Warden.
With a son and his family so devoted to you, I would do the same if I was in your shoes, and I'm sure you all can find a way to work things out financially.

I hope you do come back for another visit! Now that you know some of us through there at C-D, it won't be hard to meet us in person!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Bravo for you!! Yes, while Idaho might hold beauty, nothing is more precious than your family. Bravo to your son as well for being forthright with you. With the way things are today in the world, embrace that relationship you and your family have with each other

Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I've been dreading composing this post, and only do so out of respect for all of you who have been so kind with recommendations and suggestions. But it appears we will not be headed to Idaho after all.

On my return from our trip, I drove through Denver to visit my son and his family who live in Parker, at the southern end of the metroplex. He and I stayed up until 3:00 a.m. one morning talking and he literally begged me with tears in his eyes to move back to Colorado. They miss us from when we lived there before, and the separation we've had for the past four years has been difficult on them as well as on us. When I told him we just couldn't afford it, he pointed out that he and his wife are making almost $200k per year and would help us supplement whatever shortfall we have in monthly income.

He asked where would I live if I knew for certain I had only two more years to live. 600+ miles away where I might see my granddaughter twice a year, or in the Denver area where I could see her a minimum of once per month.

When viewed like that, it makes your choices become much more critical.

We still love Idaho as a state, all the folks as friendly and helpful, and I think there are going to be times when I will wish I could hear the wind howling in from the high desert, go out for a drive and smile at what some of you euphemistically call "traffic," and sit down in a diner where after awhile everyone there would know me.

It won't be like that in Denver----but then there is my only grandchild to think about. And at the end of your years' life becomes like a funnel, broad in the beginning but narrowing down in its finality. And as beautiful as Idaho and its people are, I've come to the conclusion that family has to be my first choice for my own end times.

But thank you much, Banjomike, MSR, Cleosmom, and others, for your time and thoughts, your helpfulness and knowledge, and your enthusiasm for your great state.

I did tell my wife, that even if we live in Colorado, we're going to take another long trip into Idaho.

God bless.
Ah , Warden, no reason to dread posting. I couldn't agree more with the change in plans.

Kuddos to your son for getting through about what really matters!

Keep posting here when you can as I will anticipate questions when you can return to Idaho for a longer visit. I hope you might be able to convince your son, DIL and precious granddaughter ( and of course your wonderful wife) to accompany you. I'll recommend a different itinerary so your little one has a fabulous time visiting places I didn't suggest for your recent trip.

You added a new dimension to various ID threads. Many people will benefit from your questions and observations. Let us know how your plans proceed and how you are preparing to spoil your granddaughter

Wishing you and your family all the best.

MSR

Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Thanks Mike. Yeah, we're liking the place very much. Lots of room to roam close to home, but we're also within easy driving distance of so many interesting and beautiful places. We just spent a good part of the day exploring the Natural Arch outside of Arco, and then going over Arco Pass. Awesome day.
I'm glad things seem to be working out for you, Juneau. I've enjoyed your photos and posts. I never know where to pozt about your great VA info.

I wondered how Salmon could provide many services given all the changes made in the plans for the Idaho Falls cliinic.

Looking forward to your future posts. When you can keep us updated with what's happening in Arco.

Thanks,

MSR

Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You made the right choice, Warden.
With a son and his family so devoted to you, I would do the same if I was in your shoes, and I'm sure you all can find a way to work things out financially.
I agree. You made the right choice Warden. I enjoy your insights and questions and kind spirit, and hope that you will make it back to ID soon for a visit. But you made the right choice, and I wish you the very best in your new home.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I'm glad things seem to be working out for you, Juneau. I've enjoyed your photos and posts. I never know where to pozt about your great VA info.

I wondered how Salmon could provide many services given all the changes made in the plans for the Idaho Falls cliinic.

Looking forward to your future posts. When you can keep us updated with what's happening in Arco.

Thanks,

MSR
I just got back from a trip to Bonners Ferry to see my youngest son who lives and works in Calgary. I took a ton of pictures and will post some in the picture thread when I get some time.

Our dog died yesterday. She was 13 years old and I have had her since she was a pup. She traveled all the way from Tennessee to Alaska to Wyoming to Tennessee to Wyoming to Idaho with us. She was my traveling companion, my trail dog (we hiked trails, climbed mountains and crossed rivers all across the country together), my bed warmer, my beloved friend and a family member. It's been a very tough couple of years recently and now my friend is gone. We buried her in the back yard yesterday afternoon, and as I write this my husband is in the workshop making her a headstone. His way of trying to honor a pup who brought so much love and joy into both of our lives.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I just got back from a trip to Bonners Ferry to see my youngest son who lives and works in Calgary. I took a ton of pictures and will post some in the picture thread when I get some time.

Our dog died yesterday. She was 13 years old and I have had her since she was a pup. She traveled all the way from Tennessee to Alaska to Wyoming to Tennessee to Wyoming to Idaho with us. She was my traveling companion, my trail dog (we hiked trails, climbed mountains and crossed rivers all across the country together), my bed warmer, my beloved friend and a family member. It's been a very tough couple of years recently and now my friend is gone. We buried her in the back yard yesterday afternoon, and as I write this my husband is in the workshop making her a headstone. His way of trying to honor a pup who brought so much love and joy into both of our lives.
Oh Juneau, I am so sorry for your loss. We don't diminish the loss of our furry family in ID. How much of your life was shared with a family member who was there to warm your bed, be your BFF without negative parts, hike with you and protect you among the many other roles your beloved, furry family member provided you.

When I first read your news I thought your wonderful family member also felt at home in Atomic City and knew YOU and your husband would be able to feel the sorrow and support from new friends and neighbors to help the two of you through her loss. I'm a firm believer from my work that when a family member of 13 years has traveled to all the destinations and what sound like some very difficult circumstances, the spirit/soul/energy of that living being knows more than we understand about the timing of their transition. You certainly don't have to think about death or believe what I believe.

I think it is wonderful you could bury her so close to the two of you. How wonderful that your husband could make a headstone as a tribute to this wonderful furry family member.

You may or may not know that CDF has a Pet section with threads about our furry family members we've lost. Many of us have posted there over the years.

Sending you and your husband my best, knowing your lives will be different now, but the memories of your dear one can never be taken away from either of you.

To honor your beloved family member........ here's Shannon.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Wpn3dFrEs

I hope you feel a little better soon.

MSR

Old 10-19-2013, 09:16 AM

MSR, thank you very much for your condolences and kind thoughts. She was very loved and we miss her.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default Thank you

Thank all of you for your kind thoughts. It's been difficult the past few weeks to wrap my mind around a different goal. I have invested so much thought and planning into Idaho. I'm sure there will be times I will wish we had gone that direction---but on the other hand, there is my granddaughter.

Juneau, sorry for your loss.

I can remember when we first moved to Texas from Colorado we owned two Chesapeake retrievers which are cold weather animals--and they were outdoor dogs in Colorado. Knowing we were going to Texas we couldn't take them with us and arranged to give them to a doctor living up in the mountains. When he came to pick them up and we watched him drive away, my wife and I literally fell to our knees and wrapped our arms around one another and wept. It was, in that case, the right decision, but it didn't hurt any less.

I hope you find a new companion soon, not as a replacement, but as new personality demanding your attention and love. Ask Mike.

God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls