U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,487,721 times

Advertisements

Wow, Arrow 107.1 has really changed. They now seem to be playing hits from the 70's and 80's, as opposed to obscure classic rock. I like it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,962,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Wow, Arrow 107.1 has really changed. They now seem to be playing hits from the 70's and 80's, as opposed to obscure classic rock. I like it!
And I'll be trying it. I never did post here about my experience with a different radio station. Let's just say it was odd given how I've interacted ( rarely) in other markets.

pw, is the Arrow owned by Riverbend or other? Didn't that group originally establish firm roots in ID when Simmons bought and marketed their stations very close to a group they own in Salt Lake or am I confused? I might have gotten that 100% backwards thinking of the cluster of stations that use the same nicknames or " brands" as SLC stations.

Hot d*mn if this Arrow station begins the day with the energy and wit of Jon Carter at the Arrow in SLC. FWIW-Jon Carter is an ID native who has had a colorful and very successful career in SLC radio. And SLC is the top market in the U.S. with the most stations.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning and maybe now, "Begin the day with a friendly voice/ a companion unobtrusive/ Plays that song that's so elusive And the magic music starts your morning mood." (From "The Spirit of Radio." All rights belong to SRO, RUSH, and all the suits at Anthem and every other label that has released this great song worldwide.)

Thanks pw

Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM

4,766 posts, read 16,591,224 times
Arrow is a Riverbend station. They have a new program director there according to Facebook. Paul something or another that moved over from KLCE and he is totally into asking what the listeners want to hear I've been listening to whatever is loaded into the CD deck since my work commute is only 6 minutes (9 if minivans get in my way LOL) and I want to hear music not commercials!! So currently listening to either Pink or Billy Joel. Yes boys and girls, my music tastes are broad spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
And I'll be trying it. I never did post here about my experience with a different radio station. Let's just say it was odd given how I've interacted ( rarely) in other markets.

pw, is the Arrow owned by Riverbend or other? Didn't that group originally establish firm roots in ID when Simmons bought and marketed their stations very close to a group they own in Salt Lake or am I confused? I might have gotten that 100% backwards thinking of the cluster of stations that use the same nicknames or " brands" as SLC stations.

Hot d*mn if this Arrow station begins the day with the energy and wit of Jon Carter at the Arrow in SLC. FWIW-Jon Carter is an ID native who has had a colorful and very successful career in SLC radio. And SLC is the top market in the U.S. with the most stations.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning and maybe now, "Begin the day with a friendly voice/ a companion unobtrusive/ Plays that song that's so elusive And the magic music starts your morning mood." (From "The Spirit of Radio." All rights belong to SRO, RUSH, and all the suits at Anthem and every other label that has released this great song worldwide.)

Thanks pw

Old 10-23-2013, 04:25 PM

25,813 posts, read 17,252,814 times
Oldies rock stations tend to move to later decades over time. They try to appeal to the generation that grew up about 25-30 years earlier and are nostalgic for the music of their youth.

I remember when an I.F. Oldies station played only music from the early 50's-early 60's!

The 70's and 80's were a great time for rock.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 PM

Riverbend does not own the Arrow. The Arrow is owned by a group called Sandhill Broadcasting.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 PM

4,766 posts, read 16,591,224 times
Quote:
Riverbend does not own the Arrow. The Arrow is owned by a group called Sandhill Broadcasting.
Hangs her head in shame... you know I thought about that after I posted and then had to go to work. Couldn't change it then. Thanks for clearing up my error

Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 PM

No worries. Perhaps it is time to admit what some may already know. pw72, me, is Paul Walker, 7-year host on KLCE, now on Arrow 107.1. I loved to post here about things other than radio, but it has caught up with me, mostly due to my fault. Anyone who cared to research my posts would have figured this out, but no worries, again.

I love radio, and I love my new opportunity at Arrow 107.1. We can make some inroads in the market, so as a completely bold sales pitch, please check out the new Arrow 107.1, with a better music mix, and hopefully a more relevant radio station. KLCE was great, and working ultimately under Frank VanderSloot prevented me from offering my true identity, but now I feel free of that. And for those who are wondering, my choice to leave KLCE was mine.

Cleosmom, I loved your comment "Paul what's his name" was hilarious. Atleast you noticed my first name! And yes, we are going on facebook and trying to include our listeners as part of our programming philosophy.

I'm sure there are a few on here who knew who I was, and that is OK, actually better than OK, because they chose to keep it to themselves. Privacy is nice. Full disclosure is nice too.

Last edited by pw72; 10-23-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,962,833 times
Quote:
No worries. Perhaps it is time to admit what some may already know. pw72, me, is Paul Walker, 7-year host on KLCE, now on Arrow 107.1. I loved to post here about things other than radio, but it has caught up with me, mostly due to my fault. Anyone who cared to research my posts would have figured this out, but no worries, again.

I love radio, and I love my new opportunity at Arrow 107.1. We can make some inroads in the market, so as a completely bold sales pitch, please check out the new Arrow 107.1, with a better music mix, and hopefully a more relevant radio station. KLCE was great, and working ultimately under Frank VanderSloot prevented me from offering my true identity, but now I feel free of that. And for those who are wondering, my choice to leave KLCE was mine.

Cleosmom, I loved your comment "Paul what's his name" was hilarious. Atleast you noticed my first name! And yes, we are going on facebook and trying to include our listeners as part of our programming philosophy.

I'm sure there are a few on here who knew who I was, and that is OK, actually better than OK, because they chose to keep it to themselves. Privacy is nice. Full disclosure is nice too.
Awesome pw. Now we have a fast track to you at the Arrow. More RUSH please? I'll like the Arrow on FB. You'd be really interested in the fact VanderSloot was the primary reason I selected a very generic user name, but not because I was an employee.

I hope the Arrow is fun for you and we can get more of really great rock from the 70s and 80s.

BtW, I changed my dial today and mostly liked what I heard. So at the risk of sounding like a total newbie to radio, which I'm not ---I've seen some back rooms at stations and learned more than how to return a CD to the right place . Is the Arrow going to use a mixture pre-programmed format/ local requests or lean more what locals want?

Congrats on the new job and best wishes with the Arrow.

MSR

Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Thanks MSR. We are evolving the station into a "greatest hits" type of format, with both rock and pop from mostly the 70's and early 80's. The music is all programmed locally. Thanks for the facebook like!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM

25,813 posts, read 17,252,814 times
Best of luck, Paul!
Do you know if there are any plans to broadcast an Americana format in Idaho Falls? I think it would do well here.

For those who don't know:
Americana is a recent format that is loosely based on American roots music. Playlists contain blues, bluegrass, country, jazz, rock (and rockabilly) and pop tunes all mixed up, some ancient, some recent. Americana stations will sometimes concentrate on a few genres, while others play a wider spectrum of genres. The format has done very well in some areas, and was a flop in others.
In many ways, they are like oldies stations, but they include new songs that sound like oldies, and they aren't restricted to only one kind of music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls