U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:52 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,573,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There are lots of stories about the past most folks don't hear much anymore.
This neck of the woods was once thick with moonshiners during the Depression. Shine made more money than crops for a lot of small farmers, and there are hundreds of tales about the moonshiners. Idaho moonshine was shipped by the barrelfulls to Salt Lake City and on to Denver, to the coast, and on to the midwest. A lot of our spuds, wheat and rye was converted into spirits back then, and most had excellent reputations for safety and quality.

Lots of those gunny sacks with "Idaho Potatoes" printed on them sloshed when picked up.
I am a history buff. So any story about a state that i am planning to move/Retire to is interesting.
Thanks for the moonshiner story. Didn't realize they were that active out there in Idaho. But it makes since using all those Idaho potatoes.
A friend at work in the office. When he was in the the Navy. Went to Nuc Navy School about 20 odd years ago in Idaho Falls back in the day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 05:06 AM

6,129 posts, read 4,323,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Interesting story Mike. Thank you for posting the information on the area of Atomic City.
Agreed. Thanks Mike. Great story that sure fires off the imagination.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:44 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,992,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Agreed. Thanks Mike. Great story that sure fires off the imagination.
Hiya Juneau,

It's nice to see your name today. So what do you think of this project INL is competing for? You could have more business in Butte County in less than a year.

I hope all is well.

MSR

Old 07-18-2015, 12:09 PM

Let's add some posts from what was originally posted in Development. There are probably four potential projects that can be discussed here.

Thanks

MSR

Old 07-18-2015, 05:26 PM

Default DOD/Navy Proposed Project

There are several big to bigger projects which INL is absolutely in the discussion, but public comments, availability of personnel and space as well as the 1995 negotiated agreement about INL all are factors.

Other programs such as INL's contribution to exploring Pluto, the thermal energy project and other ongoing missions for Cybersecurity and more are all possibilities with INL.

Today, a formal announcement of INL and the DOD - NAVY planning a new $1.6 Billion dollar facility , " that might," handle the spent fuel rods from nuclear powered submarines and ships the next 50 years, are holding meetings for public comment. The Idaho Falls meeting is scheduled at the Residence Inn on Aug. 4th from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. The Pocatello meeting is on Aug. 5 from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. at the Red Lion Inn.

The U.S. Navy had a prominent presence at the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC .. one of the earlier names for what would become INL)..dating back to the 50s. When the majority of Enlisted and Naval Officers left, they kept a contract in place for INL to accept, process and store their spent nuclear rods. The current facility is described as okay, but needs to be replaced to work the next 50 years safely.

If citizen feedback and appropriations are made, work on a new facility would start in 2016 at INL in the Butte County corner, and continue beyond 2020. Construction costs would be $500 million and employ 360 construction workers.

INL would actually decrease the number employed on the Navy work due to increased work efficiency within two years.

Amendments to the 1995 agreement allow the Navy to keep shipping spent Rods to Idaho, since they have no other plan, beyond 2035. But limits of how much can be here is part of the equation too.

It's exciting to see new projects and think of possibilities. However, we also have ongoing discussions currently to let spent nuclear rods in here for a rare research opportunity. These decisions are being made right now. My questions partly are: 1. Is the Navy announcing this to assure INL receives their spent Rods as we have every year, even if it means someone else has to be told "NO"? Idaho is not Yucca Mtn. Is anyone suggesting more money now to clean up and move waste elsewhere on a different timescale? I can't believe the DOD isn't aware others want this storage as well.

I know private industry and maybe even new spin-off are following the developments closely. The so-called two spent Rods to be used for research has been discovered to be 20 metric tons. How is private business as well as DOD and maybe DOE all wanting to build facilities and ship materials to Idaho? Some may be aware Former Gov. Andres and Former Gov. Batt both oppose the current discussion of sending 20 metric ton of spent Rods here. Others support it.

It won't matter though, as Idaho A refuses to allow spent fuel rods in until the cleanup has moved other materials out.

The discussion for almost a year, has this been about the Navy the entire time, but for some reason the Navy's name wasn't used?

Or, did others learn of the Navy's agreement and think they could send a sweet deal to INL first and the Navy would have to go elsewhere? This all can be quite confussing

I'm looking forward to your understanding of the facts.

MSR

Old 07-18-2015, 07:53 PM

This might help. I found an AP article I could share. Interesting to note the difference in "tone" of this vs. what local press released. Also, this article indirectly does acknowledge there is competition for the storage space with others who are interested.
I hope this clarifies this proposed project. It sounds like getting the funding isn't a major concern:

Navy considers Idaho for site to process nuclear fuel

Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,573,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
This might help. I found an AP article I could share. Interesting to note the difference in "tone" of this vs. what local press released. Also, this article indirectly does acknowledge there is competition for the storage space with others who are interested.
I hope this clarifies this proposed project. It sounds like getting the funding isn't a major concern:

Navy considers Idaho for site to process nuclear fuel
There are a lot of Los Angeles Attack Submarines being De-commissioned. They (The Navy) are going to need storage for all the nuclear material. Believe the core will go some where else. Just a thought?
Scott

Old 07-19-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
There are a lot of Los Angeles Attack Submarines being De-commissioned. They (The Navy) are going to need storage for all the nuclear material. Believe the core will go some where else. Just a thought?
Scott

Scott,

But where? An article I can't share states INL is the Navy's only facility. That article addressed how many ships/subs were starting to be decommissioned, thus the need for the new $1.6 building, equipment etc., which would take more than four years to build.

In 2014, INL's current facility received almost 20 metric tons from the Navy. The Navy, potentially from the positive experience of having so many active duty personnel in Idaho Falls starting in the 50s (I think), and continuing for about a couple of decades, had a very positive symbiotic relationship with INL and the City of Idaho Falls, that contract extensions were always easily negotiated.

The problem is either private commercial businesses or other DOE / DOD interests now want INL to be their designated facility too. There was an agreement in 1995 between the Federal Government and the State of Idaho limiting shipments into ID of nuclear waste. The Navy has always known about this agreement; however, the Navy successfully has negotiated a contract through 2035 that was agreeable to all the parties.

The question I raised is who or what exactly is the facility, government office or other that within the past 10 months has offered two rare nuclear rods for research at INL, which if my understanding is correct, these are next to impossible to get. Who is dangling the carrots about the two research rods? There is more to that offer than originally was made public, or perhaps even known at the time it was first announced. Along with the two, rare research rods, INL would receive 20 metric tons of nuclear waste. I don't think this last part is the Navy vs. a different group.

Idaho said no and the AG said he would not sign off allowing this additional waste to be considered for INL until the current clean up project was done. I want everyone to either confirm this is the Navy contract, which makes no sense, or this is separate group hoping INL will take their waste too.

Hopefully, Dan Q., I.F. Guy, and Theotherdude and others can post more here so everyone is clear.

MSR

Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 AM

Default Area's Current Work

This story was released in Aug, 2014. I know how come I missed it. I just wonder if anyone was aware Areva was building a replacement building at INL? This isn't the original Areva project. I was interested that Areva would want to do this work. Most nationally say we're not dealing in reality here thinking Areva will still build anything, as matching funding hasn't been found. That may be true.

My one question for all the experts is, how come Areva remains here and is building this building and doing other work for NuScale /Fluor?

Areva to build new facility at INL | News - Home

MSR

Old 07-19-2015, 10:39 AM

Here is a link from earlier this year and what is often described as "commercial" waste, although it is the DOE. You can read the amount former Gov. Andres mentions this deal would bring to Idaho. People in Idaho need to be aware of the amount involved.

This is not the Navy project. The Navy has signed agreements through 2035.

Andrus, Batt fight plan to bring spent nuclear fuel rods to Idaho for research - Spokesman Mobile - March 6, 2015

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls