U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:38 PM

424 posts, read 310,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
This story was reased in Aug,kn4. I know how come I missemuchd it. I just wonder if anyone was aware Areva was building a replacement building somethingat INL? This isn't the original Areva project. I was interested that Areva would want to do this work. Most nationally say we're not dealing in reality here thinking Areva will still idahouild anything, as matching funding hasn't been found. That may be true.

My one question for all the experts is, how come Areva remains here and is building this building and doing other work for NuScale /Fluor?

Areva to build new facility at INL | News - Home

MSR
I have my own theories on this, by no means am I an expert. I did know areva was doing additional work at the INL. I originally thought that this project was related to their proposed plant. Another thought i had on it was that maybe they are showcasing their engineering capabilities to attract potential investors.

My last thought may not reflect the intention they had on doing other work but i do wonder how much different their plant would have to be to also enrich the fuel needed to run the compact reactors that nuscale is developing. I thought i read somewhere that those reactors would be fueled from pellets rather than the traditional rods.

I think the reality is our question " will areva build this thing or not?" If it werent for this additional work they picked up, a lot of us would say probably not. It reminds me of something I recall little bits and pieces of from when I was young. If i remember correctly, NASA had some big project they were considering east idaho for. A lot of local people speculated that Idaho would be the best fit for it. I dont recall however whatever happened in the end, if another considered location beat idaho out or if the whole project was killed. I do remember though it had people around here excited about what it would bring with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 11:55 PM

25,753 posts, read 17,202,051 times
There were several big projects in the past. The neutron collider was one.

Areva is having trouble getting the power line they need to get built on the north of town. Who knows? It's possible this is a way to keep whatever management crew they've committed to I.F. busy while the power loop is being bandied about. It could be a way to show I.F. they are serious about staying here, or it could be a way for a foot in the door to becoming the sites general manager. Lots of possibilities.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:59 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,952,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There were several big projects in the past. The neutron collider was one.

Areva is having trouble getting the power line they need to get built on the north of town. Who knows? It's possible this is a way to keep whatever management crew they've committed to I.F. busy while the power loop is being bandied about. It could be a way to show I.F. they are serious about staying here, or it could be a way for a foot in the door to becoming the sites general manager. Lots of possibilities.
Areva, from France, is building the north power loop? I didn't know they worked on any projects that weren't federal.

I do think both Mike and Theotherdude have valid points about accepting smaller jobs (Battelle sub-contracted with Areva to build the INL bldg. and Areva got their NC license without problems, which is why they are doing that work for Fluor/NuScale. I agree Areva is proving themselves.

Since Areva originally arrived in Idaho Falls they have moved from their office on Woodruff to their current location on W. Broadway, which is bigger and more than just offices. It's hard to miss the red lettering on the white background of the Areva sign.

I also know they brought in a different manager a few years back. Areva certainly gives off the impression of a company that plans to stay here.

One point Mike kind of makes, and part of why I asked to move the INL discussions here, is the best plans possible won't come to fruition with funding. A lot can happen in D.C. that we at a local level don't understand. That is how some projects get funded and others aren't.

Let's keep talking about INL and possible projects

Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Areva, from France, is building the north power loop? I didn't know they worked on any projects that weren't federal.

I do think both Mike and Theotherdude have valid points about accepting smaller jobs (Battelle sub-contracted with Areva to build the INL bldg. and Areva got their NC license without problems, which is why they are doing that work for Fluor/NuScale. I agree Areva is proving themselves.

Since Areva originally arrived in Idaho Falls they have moved from their office on Woodruff to their current location on W. Broadway, which is bigger and more than just offices. It's hard to miss the red lettering on the white background of the Areva sign.

I also know they brought in a different manager a few years back. Areva certainly gives off the impression of a company that plans to stay here.

One point Mike kind of makes, and part of why I asked to move the INL discussions here, is the best plans possible won't come to fruition with funding. A lot can happen in D.C. that we at a local level don't understand. That is how some projects get funded and others aren't.

Let's keep talking about INL and possible projects
No. Areva isn't building the power loop, but the company needs it for the plant they want to build. It's always a complicated mix of local, regional and federal stuff when it comes to the INL. In the site's beginnings, Hwy. 20 was still a dirt road, and paving it was a combination of federal and state funding. As always, there was a fight in Boise as to whether it should be paved or not, as there always is. All the federal road money is handled by the state for the secondary roads.

Areva is the largest nuclear company in the world, as far as I know. They're French, and in the forefront of advanced small reactor design and construction. Their reactors are much more efficient than all of our old 1970s power plants, which may have been on the cutting edge 40 years ago, but are now obsolete. The company is currently operating many of our old nuke power plants scattered all over the east coast.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 PM

DOE and U.S. Navy take public comment on new nuclear facility | Latest News - Home

Comments for three days about the Navy bldg. At INL.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:43 PM

Currently, reactor fuel rods are considered spent when only 5% of the nuclear elements in them are gone. Fissionable elements all borrow atomic particles from each other all the time, which changes them into different elements and then back again to the elements they once were.

While I'm no engineer, I learned long ago that the fuel rods are the oldest technology still used in all reactor designs, dating back to the very first reactors built in the late 20s. The rods are mostly carbon. The radioactive elements comprise only a minuscule amount of the mass in a fuel rod, in some cases so small that when broken down into their pure elements are only the size of a pinhead.
Atomic science has progressed a very long way since the 20s, and now, theoretically, the actual atomic fuel in the rods, which becomes a jumbled mix of atomic elements, can now be refined much farther than in the past. But theory always needs application to make it work or not, and every advance in theory brings engineering into the picture to make the theory practical.

Since this is pure science, in some ways it's a lot like medicinal drug manufacturing now. Except even more expensive, and with an added need for physical safety and security. Projects like this require national governments to pay the bills, as the costs are far beyond the ability of private manufacturing, and the benefits spread out into private industry. Advanced research always exposes needs for brand new types of manufacturing industries, and public safety is always a prime responsibility of government.

The INL has already created dozens of new industries. Many are now international, especially in the medical field, and other areas where highly advanced materials and handling opens up huge opportunities to the private sectors of commerce.

Since Areva is the most advanced power reactor company in the world, its only natural they want to be right here, where the United States' foremost nuclear laboratory is located. Despite the United States' failure to keep up with commercial nuclear power generation, the U.S. still has the most advanced nuclear scientists, engineers, facilities, and support systems of any nation on Earth.

No other nation alone has our capability. But Europe can combine their expertise internationally- France, Germany, Britain, Holland, and some others all have their facilities and experts, and joint efforts have already proven to be profitable when spread out among the nations of Europa. Air Bus is a good example- the aircraft were designed by one Euro consortium, and the actual planes are built by a larger consortium that includes many European nations.

If America doesn't discover a way to reclaim all the nuclear material to be recycled, and create newer, much more efficient ways of making fuel rods, another nation or group of nations will. Whoever gets there first will make the enormous wealth that will follow.

INL has the greatest concentration of experienced personnel in this area on the planet. The INL was created specifically to learn, study, and make the most advanced theories become practical realities that can be manufactured reliably and repetitively. The lab's job has aways been tackling the thorniest theoretical problems and finding ways to make them work.

That's why the neutron collider, the only device ever created for breaking down atomic particles into their most detailed sub-atomic particles, was built. The collider itself is gigantic- it covers hundreds of acres, is the largest machine ever built, and uses incredibly enormous amounts of electricity to operate- was first considered to be located in the Arco area when the United States first undertook the design of the monster.
But as the design progressed, it became apparent that the costs would be as high as our development of the atomic bomb were, and the Arco desert was too geologically unstable to use as a 'floor' for the machine. And building it required more electricity than the current northwest power grid could provide and still keep up with commercial demands.

That's how Switzerland got the collider. If the U.S. had the political will we had in WWII, the United States would have built it on our own, but the government of the early 90s didn't want to spend the money or make the commitment. So England, France, Germany and the others all kicked in and did it themselves, giving them a huge theoretical advantage over us for the first time.
Our scientists get to use the collider, but they have to wait their turn in line, and the U.S. has to pony up the bill for any projects our nuclear physicists come up with. Any experiment that uses the collider is some major money.

But who discovers the way to re-process spent fuel, a much cheaper enterprise that is as much commerce as pure science, will get big paydays until some entirely unknown stuff is learned. Whoever creates more efficient fuel rods can also lead the way in designing entirely new, and much smaller, much more efficient, nuclear power generators.

Electrical generators that don't use oil, water, solar, wind, or anything else to make power reliably and very cheaply. Generators that can be built just about anywhere. Generators that will make our power grid, with all its problems and complexities obsolete. Generators that can share their power more locally and regionally, with no need for interstate transmission. Very clean, very green, and very cheap energy in abundance.

And, best of all, generators that will use up the most critical nuclear waste we do not have a use for as yet. If we get there first, the United States won't have to mine any more uranium for 100 years. Our current waste will work better and we have enough to last that long once a new system is developed.

…and that's why Areva is here. And why Butch Otter created the Idaho Advanced Science Lab, located here, and why our government is so interested in developing ways to recycle and reuse the spent fuel rods. Trillions of dollars could be made. Right here.

Idaho Falls could become the 21st century's equivalent of Silicon Valley if anything comes about as planned. But unlike Silicon Valley, Idaho has the opportunity to plan how, where, and when development will happen. Silicon Valley grew like a wild mushroom. We can do much better.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:37 PM

Default Some Positive News About Clean Energy

Sounds like INL will be the lead lab: INL to play key role in President's clean energy strategy | News - Home

If some who live in NID or the Treasure Valley really understood how much INL pays for that benefits them.......

Sounds like this should be great news for NuScale, if I understood correctly.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:49 PM

Default 500 jobs added

The new INL Director, Dr. Mark Peters, updated us locally with changes at INL. In 2015, 500 employees were hired at INL. That's not the sub-contractor's doing clean up. Another 300 - 500 are being contacted by headhunters.

For the first time in decades, many of these positions were filled by graduates of universities in Idaho and surrounding states. With the U. of WY entering the consortium, I look for that number to increase. Additionally, Dr. Peters did hammer home again about the value of the summer internships and postdocs. No wonder the City of Idaho Falls is working so hard on the short term apartments and these students. The Bonneville Hotel takes on an even bigger role, if dozens of those apartments can be redeveloped for these interns.

The first part of NuScale was funded in the 2016 budget. So the facilities for NuScale should start getting built this year. Additionally, GAIN and Cybersecurity work, along with other will increase. I've been told privately that Bill Gates' project is getting bigger and bigger. He takes the INL workers to workshops around the country. If IFRA and SkyWest can work out the daily Seattle flight, I think the need comes from Cybersecurity and Bill Gates project. It will be nice when we can someday learn more about the Gates project.

Plus the electric vehicles. I didn't know until a couple of days ago the electric service station the City approved will be co-owned by Tesla.

The take home points are all those out-of-state licenses were real. Moving 500 workers in, plus others for other companies, has tightened up the housing market, especially with apartments or small Townhomes. And regional universities are finally getting the drift a lot of workers can be trained in the region. INL will always recruit from around the world and certainly the entire U.S., but Idaho students who study the STEM subjects can compete in the job market locally for higher paying jobs.

It's good to have INL doing well again

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-04-2016 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 07:56 PM

385 posts, read 442,062 times
great news!

Old 01-18-2016, 02:27 PM

424 posts, read 310,443 times
A little bit of research and thoughts spurred by it;

I learned that NuScale's first small reactor would supply Idaho Falls with power.
Being the first site to deploy such technology has limited benefits. The reactors will be constructed at a facility then shipped to its operating site. Near the operating site, a switchyard would be built to step up the generated power enough to be transmitted on transmission lines (also would be required) to connect to an existing or new substation.

This process also would require plutonium for fuels. Given how these reactors are significantly smaller than conventional facilities, the fuel also needs a smaller version than the conventional rods. I researched and found that last month, NuScale awarded a contract for the fuel to none other than Areva. Areva's plant in Richmond, WA will develop the fuels. I also found a couple other larger sized contracts including a large utility in the Midwest
have also been awarded to Areva for fuel production.

This doesnt necessarily give Areva the funding to build its eagle rock facility, but definitely provides a new list of potential partners that could invest in it. After all, the first reactor wouldnt be producing commercial power until 2023.

The potential behind what we already know for sure is there but I've leaned to not grow over excited about things that haven't happened. The waiting game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls