Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Funny, MSR, I have already started a thread on domed stadiums in the General U.S. section!

I was the studio engineer for Perry when she came in to record her commercials. She seemed like a genuine, nice person, so I thought she would win.
The mayor was a hard one for me to decide.
I ended up voting for Parry because I've known her for a while, but I'm happy with Rebecca Casper. Even though I don't know her, I think she's just as good as Sharon for the job. Both are genuine and both want a more open city govt.

I don't know what to think about all the run offs. I suspect the voters now want more attention paid to things like the fire department and less to the greenbelt. The present council have all been there for a while, so some folks probably just want some new faces.

Even though the 50%= 1 vote majority law may create more run offs in the future, I think it's a pretty good law for the city elections. It's hard to argue with a solid half of the voters supporting a candidate. My only concern is the run off may be too light. I hope the voters turn out in similar numbers the second time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 04:54 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The mayor was a hard one for me to decide.
I ended up voting for Parry because I've known her for a while, but I'm happy with Rebecca Casper. Even though I don't know her, I think she's just as good as Sharon for the job. Both are genuine and both want a more open city govt.

I don't know what to think about all the run offs. I suspect the voters now want more attention paid to things like the fire department and less to the greenbelt. The present council have all been there for a while, so some folks probably just want some new faces.

Even though the 50%= 1 vote majority law may create more run offs in the future, I think it's a pretty good law for the city elections. It's hard to argue with a solid half of the voters supporting a candidate. My only concern is the run off may be too light. I hope the voters turn out in similar numbers the second time.
Mike,

I'm concerned too about voter turn out for the run offs. The candidates are as well citing the additional costs not all allocated for a run off and IF any Civic or Media would host or help sponsor a debate.

I will post another post later about what I consider the political machine. The current mayor did something that surprised many of us.

MSR

Old 11-09-2013, 05:20 PM

385 posts, read 526,335 times
I was curious about that as well. Why isn't there a mayoral debate? Is it strictly a money thing?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 PM

Default Uncertain what you are asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
I was curious about that as well. Why isn't there a mayoral debate? Is it strictly a money thing?
tmp4,

I'm not sure I understand your question. There were at least 3-4 Mayoral Debates. Maybe I should say meetings as different formats were used such as the meeting at Compass School compared to others.

I honestly don't know if there were City Council debates.

I probably wasn't clear enough before so let me try again and hopefully this will be clear as mud too

One of the six candidates in the run off said his campaign didn't plan for a run off, thus unless he gets a major cash infusion, his campaign can't really do much except leave signs up and try to talk to residents in his District.

Two or more have said they would welcome a Public Debate. I don't know of any who don't want a public forum of some type. I don't know for others how much is about their donations for a run off vs. feeling the attention the Parry -Casper race received both by the press and or others, for a meeting in a public place to answer questions, always had the Mayoral emphasis. Does that explain their remarks better?

We're in an unknown situation here. This has never happened before. Perhaps media can clarify better.....

If my attempt to explain hasn't provided a better explanation, please ask again. Anyone else who can more clearly explain this is welcome to add clarifying comments.

Hope something helps.

msr

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 11-09-2013 at 07:46 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 07:05 PM

The mayoral candidates all spoke at a City Club meeting, and all answered questions from the audience, but there was no debate. Under the circumstances of the City Club meeting, I don't think a debate was needed.

It was no surprise Mayor Furihman decided against running again to me. He has some early onset dementia that has caused him some short-term memory problems. I thought he chose wisely and for the good of the community when he declined.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 PM

385 posts, read 526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
tmp4,

I'm not sure I understand your question. There were at least 3-4 Mayoral Debates. Maybe I should say meetings as different formats were used such as the meeting at Compass School compared to others.

msr

I was unaware of that. In that case, I'm disappointed I missed the debates. It would have been interesting to hear more about their stances and vision for the future. Pretty important job, the mayor has, when you're not only directly impacting 60,000+ IF residents, but your decisions make a big difference in the lives of a few hundred thousand East Idahoans.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
I was unaware of that. In that case, I'm disappointed I missed the debates. It would have been interesting to hear more about their stances and vision for the future. Pretty important job, the mayor has, when you're not only directly impacting 60,000+ IF residents, but your decisions make a big difference in the lives of a few hundred thousand East Idahoans.
I couldn't agree more.

I can't remember the source and am trying to find it again. Based on some things in the city, INL and more, that source stated more like direction for 500-600K people.

Political junkie here....in partial remission, but never locally.

msr

Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Default Candidates for I. F. City Council

Here's a general link for the six candidates in the I. F. City Council Races:

City of Idaho Falls - Candidates for Office For 2013 Run-Off Election

msr

Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 PM

According to the Post-Register, the election turnout was only 12,000 or so. Much lighter than I thought such a big change in city government would turn out. If the runoff is even lighter, it means a lot of residents might be represented by people that they may not like or agree with.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM

Default Mayor Fuhriman supports Rebecca Casper then ......well read

Current Idaho Falls Mayor Jared Fuhriman joined City Council President, Ida Hardcastle and Gov. Otter in endorsing Rebecca Casper as the next mayor to succeed him.

I don't know a lot about soon-to-be Mayor Casper except like Candidate Sharon Parry (an unpaid volunteer) Casper was paid to work on Gov. Otter's Re-election Campaign and she trained at the Brookings Institute in D.C. I do not know if she will continue her private business in political consulting and polling.

Rebecca Casper may be the best Mayor Idaho Falls has ever had, IDK. I wish her her nothing but the best.

What I object to, is what I join Sharon Parry calling it a Political Machine with key, rchestrated endorsements at important times for voters.. But all is fair in love and politics, right? You'll have to make your own decision.

Too late for news on Monday, Mayor Fuhriman announced another Dept. Head would be retiring on 12/31/2013 prior to Mayor-Elect Casper being sworn into office. Some may say no big deal and maybe it won't be. However, I think the job of Municipal Services Director is a big deal. I won't write the names of who will be retiring and who be handling the job as of 01/01/2014, as those employees are not my point here.

Mayor Fuhriman acted alone without asking then candidates Casper and Parry for feedback. He didn't ask the Current City Council, he informed them via letter.

It is possible as soon as this City Council meeting this week the current council could be asked to confirm Fuhriman's appointee. Wouldn't that be close to a " spectator sport" watching this discussion? With City Council Pres. Ida Hardcastle, who supported Casper, and Councilwoman Sharon Parry, along with the other Council Members, potentially voting to confirm another new Dept. Head who would begin serving about the same time as Rebecca Casper starts her term leading the city.

Current Councilman Mike Lehto who will continue serving along with Sharon Parry in the City Council in 2014 is quoted as saying (this decision) "puts everyone in a bad situation moving forward."

Did local media know or report this change on Tuesday? If not, why not?

Did Mayor Fuhriman do Rebecca Casper any favors, after endorsing her as part of "The Political Machine," with his independent decision and annoucement the Director of Municipal Services would be retiring 12/31/2013? Why shouldn't Casper have been allowed to make that decision after she takes office?

Just a bit more to think about as you reflect upon the recent Mayoral Race.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 11-10-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls