Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow is Veterans Day. Various ceremonial flag raising ceremonies at local schools, the Veterans Memorial on Memorial Dr. and EIRMC.

Assemblies or programs at schools in Idaho Falls, Ammon, Shelley and Firth.

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War rededication @ Rose Hill Cementary.

Veterans Meeting @ Lincoln Court.

At 5:00 p.m. a Veterans Recognition Ceremony @ The Vietnam Memorial in Freeman Park.

Blackfoot is Serving Dinner for Veterans @ 6:00 p.m.@ Legion Hall.

"Our Nation" @ Hillview Elementary in Ammon @ 18:30.

"Carousel Chorus Salute to Veterans," @ the Civic Auditorium @19:30.

Please post additional events if you know of other events. Traditionally, Pocatello has many.

Applebees is serving Active Duty Military at no cost. Various other restaurants are serving Vetrrans at reduced prices.

To those who served their country, representing their state of residence, local community and their families, I want to personally say thank you to you and those you left state side, to provide us the multiple freedoms we enjoy.

Not all families had their sons and daughters returned, giving the ultimate sacrifice of their lives, including a member of my family. To those families, I'm not sure we'll ever know the extent of suffering each family has endured. I thank each family who has lost one or sometimes more family members for finding ways to keep coping and finding good in the world.

I watched most of a documentary about female veterans and the different challenges they face. I plan to post more about this after Veterans Day.

Beyond Veterans Day do we do enough for those who protected and currently protect freedom for us, in Eastern/Southeastern ID.

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL THREAD! This is about honoring those who served their Country, State, Local Community and Family.

Please feel free to post any personal memories, suggestions of what we can improve or anything else about our wonderful Veterans and state side supporters you would like!

If this thread elicits memories too painful or fresh for anyone to write that is okay. It will remain and comments can be added at a later date.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 11-10-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,066,250 times
My husband joined the navy when he was 17 years old, but didn't spend a whole lot of time on a ship. He spent 3 years (35 months and 10 days in fact) on the ground in Vietnam. By the time he came back to the states he was still too young to legally drink. He is 66 years old now, and still has nightmares.

He lost a cousin in Vietnam. His father served and so did his grandfather before him.

My youngest son served two tours in Iraq and I spent many late nights (in pajamas with my feet up on the desk in our home office) talking to him on the phone about anything and everything. It was good to hear him babble on, but mostly it was good to hear his voice and know that he was doing OK.

I will take this opportunity to thank every veteran for serving his or her country. I will always be grateful and I will never forget your service. Not tomorrow and not any other day of the year.

Re: what can we do better for veterans in the area, I think about my husband's recent experience with a broken finger. We live in Atomic City, but would have had to drive to Boise for x-rays. He only had a broken finger, but I cringe at the thought that others (who may have more serious injuries or more serious medical conditions) in this area, have to drive to either Salt Lake or Boise for care. That can be a financially challenging situation for those with little means, and can be a dangerous drive in the winter.

We were told when we were calling around (numerous calls) to get answers, that the clinics are only capable of providing routine physicals and blood tests. When we registered to vote we were told that we would be receiving "vote by mail" cards because our polling station was located in Moreland, and traveling that far to vote was considered to be too great a burden for residents of this small town. Moreland is only 20 miles from us. If we don't have to drive to Moreland to vote, why would we have to drive to Boise to get an x-ray? There has to be a better way. I think veterans deserve better than that.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 PM

Default Car Pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
My husband joined the navy when he was 17 years old, but didn't spend a whole lot of time on a ship. He spent 3 years (35 months and 10 days in fact) on the ground in Vietnam. By the time he came back to the states he was still too young to legally drink. He is 66 years old now, and still has nightmares.

He lost a cousin in Vietnam. His father served and so did his grandfather before him.

My youngest son served two tours in Iraq and I spent many late nights (in pajamas with my feet up on the desk in our home office) talking to him on the phone about anything and everything. It was good to hear him babble on, but mostly it was good to hear his voice and know that he was doing OK.

I will take this opportunity to thank every veteran for serving his or her country. I will always be grateful and I will never forget your service. Not tomorrow and not any other day of the year.

Re: what can we do better for veterans in the area, I think about my husband's recent experience with a broken finger. We live in Atomic City, but would have had to drive to Boise for x-rays. He only had a broken finger, but I cringe at the thought that others (who may have more serious injuries or more serious medical conditions) in this area, have to drive to either Salt Lake or Boise for care. That can be a financially challenging situation for those with little means, and can be a dangerous drive in the winter.

We were told when we were calling around (numerous calls) to get answers, that the clinics are only capable of providing routine physicals and blood tests. When we registered to vote we were told that we would be receiving "vote by mail" cards because our polling station was located in Moreland, and traveling that far to vote was considered to be too great a burden for residents of this small town. Moreland is only 20 miles from us. If we don't have to drive to Moreland to vote, why would we have to drive to Boise to get an x-ray? There has to be a better way. I think veterans deserve better than that.
A really useful post, Juneau.

The x-ray thing in Boise is nuts! I don't know how to change the entire VA system. It's ultimate waste. When the clinics in Idaho Falls and Twin Falls, along with hundreds of other locations, were initially proposed they were to be staffed by a Family Doctor who would have had basic xray info. I don't claim to know what happened from what was proposed to what is available.

If surgery is ever needed for a hand, all surgeons are not the same. Let me know if that ever is recommended. I personally know the U. Of U. Faculty that cover the SLC Hospital. They insisted on MSK imaging and that is huge for many ortho disorders.

A few radio stations in Idaho Falls and Shari's the restaurant seem to have info about the carpool or bus that goes to the SLC VA. It may be worth checking for the future.

Please post again, along with anyone else who may know, about the Vans or Carpools.

MSR

Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times
Quote:
My husband joined the navy when he was 17 years old... He spent 3 years ... on the ground in Vietnam. . . He is 66 years old now, and still has nightmares.

My youngest son served two tours in Iraq...
A true family of patriots. May God bless your whole family and I will say a prayer tonight that He will bring peace to your husband.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM

Default Thank You!

Juneau, I agree with Volosong. I can't imagine what your family has endured. How you coped with each situation of deployment could teach all of us lessons.

Thank you for the tremendous sacrifices you made while remaining in the U.S. and supporting your family. I'm certain you helped others too.

It's nice to have you (and your husband and wonderful new dog in our part of the U.S. now ).

msr

Old 11-15-2013, 11:36 AM

Default Possible phone number?

Juneau,

I would like to ask you if you would post in the I. F. Radio thread if the stations have a phone number for the Vans (or carpool) for Veteran's needing to go from Idaho to SLC for medical care. I believe the ad I heard was for volunteer drivers, but probably the same phone number would yield info about how one can be a passenger.

I've already left a post but would ask you to leave one yourself.
This isn't my area of knowledge. I only remember hearing the ad.

It's funny about these things. I have a dear friend in Elko who LOVES to drive her dad and other Vets to the SLC Clinics/Hospital. She only has three rules: 1. No smoking or cursing in the vehicle, 2. Her 4 y.o. daughter accompanies them (part of the reason for her first rule) and 3. She picks the radio station. Her employer actually pays her for a 1/2 day of work when she drives Veterans

MSR

Old 11-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Juneau,

I would like to ask you if you would post in the I. F. Radio thread if the stations have a phone number for the Vans (or carpool) for Veteran's needing to go from Idaho to SLC for medical care. I believe the ad I heard was for volunteer drivers, but probably the same phone number would yield info about how one can be a passenger.

I've already left a post but would ask you to leave one yourself.
This isn't my area of knowledge. I only remember hearing the ad.

It's funny about these things. I have a dear friend in Elko who LOVES to drive her dad and other Vets to the SLC Clinics/Hospital. She only has three rules: 1. No smoking or cursing in the vehicle, 2. Her 4 y.o. daughter accompanies them (part of the reason for her first rule) and 3. She picks the radio station. Her employer actually pays her for a 1/2 day of work when she drives Veterans

MSR
MSR I have no idea if the stations have contact info re: vans and carpooling but I'll see what I can find. If I find anything I'll post up in the IF Radio thread.

Thanks to Volosong and MSR for kind words re: the service of my family. Husband is doing well. Retired out of law enforcement in Tennessee and loves it here in Idaho as much as I do. Good place. Good people.

With all the verbal diarrhea coming out of DC and with all the divisiveness (I believe) deliberately instilled and nurtured throughout the country, sometimes it is easy to forget just how many REALLY GOOD AND DECENT people there are in this country. There are many (many) families with similar histories. Patriots all.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:37 PM

Default Check thread

Juneau,

Check the radio thread and my last post. If that isn't more clear let me know. I'm in public and can't write more now.

msr

Old 11-16-2013, 01:01 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:

Hi, Juno…
I recently learned the VA has an extension office in Idaho Falls. There is another in Pocatello that's been there for a while now.
I don't know where the office is located, but the VA should have the info.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hi, Juno…
I recently learned the VA has an extension office in Idaho Falls. There is another in Pocatello that's been there for a while now.
I don't know where the office is located, but the VA should have the info.
Mike thanks for taking time to post this. We found out not long after we arrived in Idaho, about the I.F. and Pocatello offices. He may regret it at some point and decide to sign up with one of those offices, but my husband actually decided to sign up with the Salmon office.

His thinking was that he would rather sign up for a small office in a small town instead of one of the above mentioned bigger towns. We both also like the drive up through the Lost River Valley (and we want to get a camper before next spring so that we can camp and kayak and fish on the river when we head up that way). That's the plan anyway. We'll see how it works out, but if the whole arrangement becomes too cumbersome he'll likely sign up at one of the closer VA clinics instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls