U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:41 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,258,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkus View Post
ATVwife, thanks for the info. Sorry to hear your hubby had a heart attack but glad hear your hubby had good care. I do have to sell my home before I can make a move so I will be watching next year to see what happens with health care. One of my fears is that I'm established where I live now and would have to find new doctors, and of course worry that that could be a real problem in the future. But as you said, no one knows what's going to happen. I just don't think that whatever is going to happen will be for the better.

Merry Christmas to you all!
Binkus,

Your post may have been strictly for ATVwife. If so I apologize for jumping in here.

I don't know how far away you are from Idaho Falls. Most of us who post in Idaho encourage those thinking of moving to Idaho to visit. If you were to do that, you could make a couple of appointments to see local primary care doctors and judge for yourself. Plus, you would be an established patient if you decide to move here. You should be covered by Medicare if you are retired. Most physicians accept Medicare and utilize a lot of PA.s and NP.s for routine checks.

Idaho also let's PA.s and NP.s practice independently.

Because of the national shortage of Rheumatologist.s and some other some other sub-specialties, most primary care providers are use to managing firstline medications for arthritis and more common Rheumatology conditions etc. I've helped four physicians relocate to date. As one Family Medicine doc said to me, moving from S. Florida to the Intermountain West, he wouldn't know what to do with a patient who didn't take 7-10 medications.

Probably of all of us, pw72, has respected your request to not write comments that are political. I may be treading a fine line here but yesterday Medscape published the "winners" of Obamacare are family doctors. That's a professional website but it is affiliated with WebMD. You might want to check WebMD periodically to learn more, if anything is published yet, how some of the changes will impact you and any medical problems you may have.

I hope this helps. You've gotten good info from the posts here IMHO. Good luck thinking about your decisions

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM

54 posts, read 95,613 times
MSR, thanks! I'm glad you jumped in. I appreciate all the advice and information. I visited Boise in the fall and really liked Idaho and the people, but decided I might like to live in a less populated community as long as important medical services are available, so I'm exploring several options. I do have Medicare but have read how that is also changing. My doctor is retiring due to the changes. My comment about not getting political was because I am looking for information and did not want to get into emotionally heated discussions since many of us have very strong opinions about what is happening today.

I do plan to visit in the spring and your idea about talking to several physicians is a good one. I'll definitely follow up on that. Will also check out Medscape.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Default Follow with WebMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkus View Post
MSR, thanks! I'm glad you jumped in. I appreciate all the advice and information. I visited Boise in the fall and really liked Idaho and the people, but decided I might like to live in a less populated community as long as important medical services are available, so I'm exploring several options. I do have Medicare but have read how that is also changing. My doctor is retiring due to the changes. My comment about not getting political was because I am looking for information and did not want to get into emotionally heated discussions since many of us have very strong opinions about what is happening today.

I do plan to visit in the spring and your idea about talking to several physicians is a good one. I'll definitely follow up on that. Will also check out Medscape.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Binkus,

Sorry my post wasn't as clear as it should have been. Let me try a couple of things again.

Medscape is for professionals. If you can log in, great, but most can't. Medscape works with WebM.D. Web M.D. is accessible to all. So you may get info by checking via WebMD.

Check on your 2014 visits allowed or if there is a cap. I wouldn't want you to use too many visits on interviews and not be able to see your current doctor for care.

Yes, many physicians are leaving practice. That was predicted as long as 5 yrs. ago.
I personally know six physicians' offices, not in ID, that have filed bankruptcy. One was a large cardiology group. Others are restructuring how they practice. Most patients have no idea of the costs of new systems and procedures physicians were required to change.

I don't want a heated discussion either. There are some common sense parts of Obamacare, like pre - existing conditions, wellness visits that make sense to me. I worked p/t for one of the major U.S. insurance companies for 8 yrs. I am very frustrated that other common sense solutions, like shopping for insurance in any state, which could have been changed easily, weren't. Sometimes it is hard to know too much.

Idaho has three companies participating in the Exchange. The 4th company withdrew from ID about a week before enrollment started. Most other states have many more companies and consumers can shop for more choices.

I'm happy for all who are covered and saddened for those who lost coverage. There is a lot more work to be done.

And when I wrote Family Medicine doctors were the winners, I meant of all the medical specialties.

Keep watching and learning with the rest of us, and be an active partner in your care.

Merry Christmas !

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-20-2013 at 09:06 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 10:09 PM

Default Thanks

Ah, thanks HH! You can start posting here again too. I appreciate your words. Funny how Aardvarks and I've gotten reconnected and about three of my pals read these threads too. POST your thoughts, please .

You too, Ditch, as I think a couple here will know the question you asked me about the Twin Falls area.

Isn't it great how one person, 6'3" in this case, connected all of us? Time to stop lurking and start posting . All of you have such relevant comments that shouldn't be limited to me. Great minds and great ideas need shared...

Merry Christmas HH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls