Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times

Advertisements

While we were driving from Blackfoot back to Atomic City on Hwy 26 yesterday we came across this tree. It is the only tree in this section of the desert, is located close to the highway and stands on top of a small rock hill. I don't know who took the time or why, but it was a welcome surprise. About 20 miles from Blackfoot (across from the towers on one of the Twin Buttes).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:24 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Wow. That's just too cool for words!
Someone really brightened the world up for lots of friends and strangers. Bless them who did it!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:10 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Wow. That's just too cool for words!
Someone really brightened the world up for lots of friends and strangers. Bless them who did it!
You said it perfectly Mike

Thanks for posting, Juneau

msr

Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
How fantastic is that?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
What a surprise for some one driving out on the Hwy. As said too cool.
Thank you, some one for the Christmas Tree. Thanks for posting, Juneau
Scott

Old 12-11-2013, 11:09 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
…and thanks for the nice shot of the Big Butte too, Juneau.
When I see the buttes I know I'm home again.

My old friend Paul Crowder used to work in the transmitter station on top. He's passed on over 20 years now, and was my banjo mentor when I first began playing. He took his banjo with him to pass the time up there. He would work for a solid week, then have a week off for many years. Every time he would come back down to the valley he would have a new tune for me to learn.
That was 50 years ago. I now own his old banjo.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
…and thanks for the nice shot of the Big Butte too, Juneau.
When I see the buttes I know I'm home again.

My old friend Paul Crowder used to work in the transmitter station on top. He's passed on over 20 years now, and was my banjo mentor when I first began playing. He took his banjo with him to pass the time up there. He would work for a solid week, then have a week off for many years. Every time he would come back down to the valley he would have a new tune for me to learn.
That was 50 years ago. I now own his old banjo.
Mike, I had to go back to some of my pictures and take a second look when I read your post. The picture of the butte is actually one of the Twin Buttes (the one with all the radio towers on top). I took that picture while standing beside the decorated tree. But after reading your post I realized that this butte, and Big Butte, look VERY similar in shape. One is much bigger than the other, but you can't tell that from a picture.

If you're interested, I posted some pictures of Big Butte up in the picture thread. They're from a hike me and my husband did to the top of Big Butte in late October. AWESOME hike.

Thanks for sharing the story about your friend.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
How fantastic is that?
Pretty cool, eh?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
What a surprise for some one driving out on the Hwy. As said too cool.
Thank you, some one for the Christmas Tree. Thanks for posting, Juneau
Scott
With all the crap going on in the country this was so unexpected. It made me smile because it was so random. Whoever decorated the tree had to know that no-one would know they did this. But they did it anyway. It's just sweet, and nice, and giving. And there's not always a whole lot of that these days.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:56 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
With all the crap going on in the country this was so unexpected. It made me smile because it was so random. Whoever decorated the tree had to know that no-one would know they did this. But they did it anyway. It's just sweet, and nice, and giving. And there's not always a whole lot of that these days.
Kind of made you glad, perhaps, you'd ended up where you did?

If I were you I'd check the policies the Post Register, Blackfoot Daily News or even KIFI/KIDK each have about photo submissions. Then I'd submitted this as a good citizen's act that portrays the True Meaning of Christmas. Doing something unexpected and nice to make others have a lovely surprise.

I hope no one vandalizes anything.

Juneau, do you have a Facebook Acct? If so, post it on FB with the story. If not, would you consider letting me send you a PM with an email address so I can post it- giving you the credit, of course? Kind Acts are too rare and need shared.
Whatever you decide is fine.

Thanks again for putting some Christmas Magic in our lives

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls