Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
There are lots of observations and opinions as to who is going to win this thing. Can the Broncos defensive line stifle the Seahawks great running back Marshawn Lynch? Who is Richard Sherman going to be matched up against-Demarius Thomas or Eric Decker? Did Peyton Manning debunk the theory about he can't throw in cold weather? Will Knoshon Moreno be able to play Sunday? And on and on and on.

Several NFL former players on ESPN and the NFL Channel point to one factor. How will the players handle all the hype? To a man I've seen ESPN's Mark Schlereth and Merill Hoge and NFL Channel's Marshall Faulk opine that whoever handles the hype and the pressure best will have the inside track.

I might not be 100% "all in" regarding that observation but they do have a good point. And Mark Schlereth should know. He was in one Super Bowl with the Washington Redskins and two with the Denver Broncos.
Hi Double H,
Thanks for the PM. I hope everyone and everything is improving. So do you feel like a Bouncer Moderating the Football Discussions?

Interesting points above. I think Denver has the edge in mental toughness. But that's just my opinion not of any importance to either teams. Some of the Hawks have that mental toughness but I don't know if the entire team does.

Both teams have to focus on what they can control and being the best they can for the game.

Any thoughts about coaching staff and who can make adjustments faster?

Hang in there for a week more. If you talk to Ditch tell him his OR opinion is wanted here. I already did, but he may believe you more than me. Stop back when your schedule will permit it

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 08:11 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

I must be missing something. How come those in Seattle who are excited and doing the fun things fans do, are getting labeled as being so over-the-top? What are they doing that is causing so many to think the fans are too extreme or whatever the label of the day is?

I would like to understand more. Thanks to any who can explain.

msr

Let me take a shot at this.

It was just recently that Seattle lost their pro basketball team, the Supersonics. They did win the NBA Championship in 1979. Though I'm not the basketball fan that I used to be, I always thought Seattle was one of the more stable franchises in the NBA. I just shook my head when the franchise moved. And I was VERY surprised when they DID move but maybe I shouldn't have been.

The Mariners have been in the area a long time. They've fielded some competitive teams along the way but no World Series. But when you think of baseball in the Seattle area one subject that people just don't want to go near is their expansion club, the Seattle Pilots. They played at a field called Sicks Stadium and only drew about 680,000 fans for the year. They entered the league in 1969 and that was it for them, moving to Milwaukee in 1970 and became the Milwaukee Brewers .And of course, no NHL hockey.

The Seahawks have always had a rabid fan base as I stated earlier in this thread. Some of the threads in the football sub forum have opined about the 12th man being overblown. I don't believe that at all. I'll have to look it up, but if I recall the 12th Man is part of the Seattle Seahawks Ring Of Fame and has been for a couple decades. Pete Carroll's previous head coaching experience with the New England Patriots didn't do as well as the franchise hoped. But the city is "all in" with the current Seahawks club.

And where the other clubs in the NFC West has been derided as a weak division, there is no more talk of that. As a collective group, the NFC West teams won more games (39) than any other division in the NFL in the 2013 season. The AFC West is right behind them, winning 36 games. In the AFC, both wild cards came out of the western division. In the NFC, Frisco got to be a wild card, and the Arizona Cardinals almost did, finishing at 10-6. Both of these divisions were criticized to the hilt for the last few years. Not anymore.

The Seahawks for the first time in years have a solid club and a young club. Their head coach got a second chance in the NFL and is making the most of it. Russell Wilson is an excellent young quarterback who is only going to get better. And the fans are responding to their club in a big way.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-26-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 04:48 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
I think that is a good summary.

Seattle's recent sports history has been miserable. Fans may be over the top, but there is a rhyme and a reason for it.

Please check out part of this AP story that ran in the Seattle PI story that infers a Seahawk title would end a lof of misery.

SEATTLE (AP) — Standing in the middle of the locker room, nodding his head to the beat of the music thumping with bone shaking bass, Ben Haggerty absorbed the scene.

As he shook hands with players and coaches who for the most part lacked association to Seattle other than employment as members of the Seahawks, Haggerty watched the chaos around him with special appreciation as a hometown native.

Better than most, Haggerty knew how special the moment was as the Seahawks celebrated winning an NFC title and getting to the Super Bowl, because they happen so infrequently in Seattle.

"This is the team. At the beginning of the year, preseason, it was like this was the team to do it," said Haggerty, a Seattle native better known to his millions of fans as Grammy-nominated hip-hop artist Macklemore. "All these guys, the defense, Russ, Pete, everybody, it's been an amazing year to watch. We deserve to be there."

The last sentence Macklemore uttered is the one that is so rare in Seattle. This is the region of jets and technology, of guitar riffs and coffee. It's not a place where expecting championships is the norm, because there's been so much disappointment in the past.

The last time one of Seattle's major franchises had a parade to celebrate a title came in 1979 when the SuperSonics won the NBA title and no one on the Seahawks current roster was born. To call Seattle's championship history thin is an understatement. The crushing losses along the way have become so plentiful that disappointment has become the default expectations for most fans in these parts.

But this group is different. And maybe that's why there is so much support behind these Super Bowl-bound Seahawks.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:18 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Scott,

No apology necessary. Thanks for checking with the station

So How do you think you'll fit in with eastern ID'S base of fans of every team? I agree with Cleosmom ' s earlier post that Idaho Falls, or the region, doesn't have a favorite pro team.

Between INL and BYU-Idaho, a lot of area residents come from all states and several foreign countries.

Glad you joined this discussion!

MSR
Thank you for the complement.
I would have responded sooner but. I had to work a double shift yesterday. On a ship that came through with a bad Shaft Thrust bearing, that had to be changed out. Worked around the clock to get her underway this morning. I believe i will fit in Eastern ID fan base. I usually follow the home teams in states i have lived in, as far as collage teams. Pro's I follow the Sea Hawks, since 1976, even when i lived in LA, and the LA Dodgers in Baseball, where i went to my first any Pro game in my life in 1969. My dads company transferred him, with a pay raise and us in 1968 to LA. The next year the Seattle pilots came into Seattle, and of course did not do so well. Out here in Hawaii, with no pro sports so everyone follows whoever their favorite Pro teams are. Can't wait to visit Eastern Idaho in the future to check the area out.
Scott

Last edited by ScottStielow; 01-26-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 PM

Default Thanks :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Let me take a shot at this.

It was just recently that Seattle lost their pro basketball team, the Supersonics. They did win the NBA Championship in 1979. Though I'm not the basketball fan that I used to be, I always thought Seattle was one of the more stable franchises in the NBA. I just shook my head when the franchise moved. And I was VERY surprised when they DID move but maybe I shouldn't have been.

The Mariners have been in the area a long time. They've fielded some competitive teams along the way but no World Series. But when you think of baseball in the Seattle area one subject that people just don't want to go near is their expansion club, the Seattle Pilots. They played at a field called Sicks Stadium and only drew about 680,000 fans for the year. They entered the league in 1969 and that was it for them, moving to Milwaukee in 1970 and became the Milwaukee Brewers .And of course, no NHL hockey.

The Seahawks have always had a rabid fan base as I stated earlier in this thread. Some of the threads in the football sub forum have opined about the 12th man being overblown. I don't believe that at all. I'll have to look it up, but if I recall the 12th Man is part of the Seattle Seahawks Ring Of Fame and has been for a couple decades. Pete Carroll's previous head coaching experience with the New England Patriots didn't do as well as the franchise hoped. But the city is "all in" with the current Seahawks club.

And where the other clubs in the NFC West has been derided as a weak division, there is no more talk of that. As a collective group, the NFC West teams won more games (39) than any other division in the NFL in the 2013 season. The AFC West is right behind them, winning 36 games. In the AFC, both wild cards came out of the western division. In the NFC, Frisco got to be a wild card, and the Arizona Cardinals almost did, finishing at 10-6. Both of these divisions were criticized to the hilt for the last few years. Not anymore.

The Seahawks for the first time in years have a solid club and a young club. Their head coach got a second chance in the NFL and is making the most of it. Russell Wilson is an excellent young quarterback who is only going to get better. And the fans are responding to their club in a big way.
Good and thorough , Double H. Thanks for taking the time to be as specific and thorough as you were.

I was blown away when the Sonics were relocated to OKC!!!! I've seen games at Key Arena and knew someone who worked for the organization. The Sonics had great fans! I've been to Mariner ' s games too.

So your explanation of what the fans have lost helps me understand in a much better way. I don't think Seahawk fans are over the top - I think they are celebrating something good and having fun. Good for them!

Denver fans have disappointed me once after a big win. Yip, I'm a wimp and totally wonder what some fans get from turning over cars etc. I was in Denver and 16th Street a couple of days after a win. I didn't like dealing with the chaos of some when trying to get to meetings and other business matters. That chaos is very different than the enthusiasm of fans having fun.

There are two great Q backs in this game. One has overcome a lot of adversity and Denver took a chance on him. Wilson, seems to have great talent and composure for a second year. He is exciting to watch and will be (hopefully in Seattle) for many years.

Thanks again as I actually feel like I understand much better now. BTW- - I saw the April dates for the Moody Blues. I'm sure summer will follow in a month or so

MSR

Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Hey, MSR, it's elkotronics from all over the Idaho boards. How are you doing? I would like to chime in on this Super Bowl 48. I am a big-time Sonic's fan since 1967 and a big-time Seahawk's fan since 1976. I remember the unfairness of the refereeing in Super Bowl 40 on Feb.5, 2006. Head Coach Mike Holmgren commented when the strong fan base met the Hawks at Sea-Tac, "I knew we were going to have to be on our game against the Steelers but I didn't think we were going to have to fight the ref's, too." I think the NFL front office wanted Pittsburgh to win that game in 2006. It was going to help sales receipts more to have the Steelers win, sales of banners, shoes, jerseys, etc. And it was stated that it would be "better for the game to have the Bus win, after all, he didn't have a ring yet. And he has asthma, too." I kid you not. What a farce. And, get this, Roger Goodell made the ruling that Jeff Triplett and that referee crew working with him on Feb.5, 2006, would not be allowed to ever work another Super Bowl again, ever. What does that mean to you guys?

As for this game, I have been so excited to follow the Seahawks this year! Of course I hope the Seahawks win this upcoming Sunday. I think they can, but I also respect the arm of Peyton Manning very much. I think it's going to be an absolute bearcat of a battle Feb. 2nd, 2014. I think the Beast will have a big affect on the game. And I think Russell Wilson will make some big plays, also. I'm not going to make a prediction on the game, I will be doing that later in the week. Of course I am going to make Seattle the winner.

I was going to Tech.School in Seattle in the spring - fall of 1979. I followed the Sonic's victory march through the NBA season. I remember celebrating that NBA Championship with everyone - it was a Seattle dream come true. So to add the Seahawk's to the list of major-league sports titles of course is my desire.

I'm enjoying all of your comments. It's gonna be one heck of a bearcat!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
If you talk to Ditch tell him his OR opinion is wanted here. I already did, but he may believe you more than me.
Okay, Oregon resident here by request of MSR! Ye shall speak and I shall appear!

Here's my predictions for the game:

I predict a blizzard. I hope it snows so hard the players can't see each other. Now, that would be entertaining! Arguably, the league's best defense against the league's best offense (I say arguably, not because of the Denver offense, but the Buffalo defense, which was enough to net their DC a HC spot with the Browns). Nonetheless, Seattle's defense is to be commended as well.

With that being said, this Oregon fan does not see Seattle being good enough to stop the inevitable: Manning getting his second ring. Sorry. The Denver offense is a machine. The SB loss of 2006 might seem like long ago to Seattle fans, but really, it wasn't. This will be their next disappointment. But, they have a bright future. Russell Wilson and Lynch are studs, and they will make Seattle great. As far as Richard Sherman goes, I believe he needs to tone down the crap. While immensely talented, he's an arrogant blowhard; a person not to look up to.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of either team. I think the Seahawks uniforms are ugly as sh*t, and the Broncos always spell trouble for my Bills. For me, this game comes down to my personal opinion of the teams, the players, and the fans. I don't like Pete Carroll. He comes across as smug and arrogant. So does Golden Tate. No need to mention RS. Seahawks fans, while dedicated, seem obnoxious as well. On the flipside, who can go against Peyton? He's pure class and talent. Champ Bailey, the same. John Fox, what a flip flop from the Panthers to the Broncos! It's all about how a coach meshes with his players.

My prediction is that people will be partying long and hard in Denver on the night of the 2nd(unless, of course, the SB is moved to another date). I may eat crow on this one, but I care not as neither team is of my preference in the long run. As long as Double H is sitting at home with a stiff drink in his hand and a huge smile on his face, I consider it a WIN! Maybe he'll go easier on the sh*t talkers on the Pro Football forum after the loss. I wouldn't put $$$ on it though.

Last edited by ditchlights; 01-27-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Okay, Oregon resident here by request of MSR! Ye shall speak and I shall appear!

Here's my predictions for the game:

I predict a blizzard. I hope it snows so hard the players can't see each other. Now, that would be entertaining! Arguably, the league's best defense against the league's best offense (I say arguably, not because of the Denver offense, but the Buffalo defense, which was enough to net their DC a HC
With that being said, this Oregon fan does not see Seattle being good enough to stop the inevitable: Manning getting his second ring. Sorry. The Denver offense is a machine. The SB loss of 2006 might seem like long ago to Seattle fans, but really, it wasn't. This will be their next disappointment.

My prediction is that people will be partying long and hard in Denver on the night of the 2nd(unless, of course, the SB is moved to another date). I may eat crow on this one, but I care not as neither team is of my preference in the long run. As long as Double H is sitting at home with a stiff drink in his hand and a huge smile on his face, I consider it a WIN!
Dear Alien,

I don't know if you're with the NSA or how you got access to my Invitation to my buddy, Ditch. Please remember "the way out is the way in" and "We will pay the price but we will not count the cost." Where is my buddy, Ditch? He knows those references.

The Bills aren't going to the SB and neither are Cleosmom' s Steelers.

I miss the Ditch I know. I hope he will come back another time.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-27-2014 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 PM

Default Glad you joined the Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hey, MSR, it's elkotronics from all over the Idaho boards. How are you doing? I would like to chime in on this Super Bowl 48. I am a big-time Sonic's fan since 1967 and a big-time Seahawk's fan since 1976. I remember the unfairness of the refereeing in Super Bowl 40 on Feb.5, 2006. Head Coach Mike Holmgren commented when the strong fan base met the Hawks at Sea-Tac, "I knew we were going to have to be on our game against the Steelers but I didn't think we were going to have to fight the ref's, too." I think the NFL front office wanted Pittsburgh to win that game in 2006. It was going to help sales receipts more to have the Steelers win, sales of banners, shoes, jerseys, etc. And it was stated that it would be "better for the game to have the Bus win, after all, he didn't have a ring yet. And he has asthma, too." I kid you not. What a farce. And, get this, Roger Goodell made the ruling that Jeff Triplett and that referee crew working with him on Feb.5, 2006, would not be allowed to ever work another Super Bowl again, ever. What does that mean to you guys?

As for this game, I have been so excited to follow the Seahawks this year! Of course I hope the Seahawks win this upcoming Sunday. I think they can, but I also respect the arm of Peyton Manning very much. I think it's going to be an absolute bearcat of a battle Feb. 2nd, 2014. I think the Beast will have a big affect on the game. And I think Russell Wilson will make some big plays, also. I'm not going to make a prediction on the game, I will be doing that later in the week. Of course I am going to make Seattle the winner.

I was going to Tech.School in Seattle in the spring - fall of 1979. I followed the Sonic's victory march through the NBA season. I remember celebrating that NBA Championship with everyone - it was a Seattle dream come true. So to add the Seahawk's to the list of major-league sports titles of course is my desire.

I'm enjoying all of your comments. It's gonna be one heck of a bearcat!
Elkotronics,

I agree this should be one heck of a game. I'm glad you wandered over here to post and hope you will post more.

I'm curious about something. You recently made a move, if I remember correctly. Which team does network tv broadcast where you are now? If you didn't see this part of the discussion, pw72 made the point that at some point eastern ID started to broadcast Seahawk games instead of the Broncos.

Thanks in advance for your answer

MSR

Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 PM

Default I Appreciate this Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I think that is a good summary.

Seattle's recent sports history has been miserable. Fans may be over the top, but there is a rhyme and a reason for it.

Please check out part of this AP story that ran in the Seattle PI story that infers a Seahawk title would end a lof of misery.

SEATTLE (AP) — Standing in the middle of the locker room, nodding his head to the beat of the music thumping with bone shaking bass, Ben Haggerty absorbed the scene.

As he shook hands with players and coaches who for the most part lacked association to Seattle other than employment as members of the Seahawks, Haggerty watched the chaos around him with special appreciation as a hometown native.

Better than most, Haggerty knew how special the moment was as the Seahawks celebrated winning an NFC title and getting to the Super Bowl, because they happen so infrequently in Seattle.

"This is the team. At the beginning of the year, preseason, it was like this was the team to do it," said Haggerty, a Seattle native better known to his millions of fans as Grammy-nominated hip-hop artist Macklemore. "All these guys, the defense, Russ, Pete, everybody, it's been an amazing year to watch. We deserve to be there."

The last sentence Macklemore uttered is the one that is so rare in Seattle. This is the region of jets and technology, of guitar riffs and coffee. It's not a place where expecting championships is the norm, because there's been so much disappointment in the past.

The last time one of Seattle's major franchises had a parade to celebrate a title came in 1979 when the SuperSonics won the NBA title and no one on the Seahawks current roster was born. To call Seattle's championship history thin is an understatement. The crushing losses along the way have become so plentiful that disappointment has become the default expectations for most fans in these parts.

But this group is different. And maybe that's why there is so much support behind these Super Bowl-bound Seahawks.
pw72,

I really appreciate your post. I have some thoughts about it but I want to wait a bit longer before writing.

Besides, while mostly not intended, I think you've heard more than enough from me for 24 hrs. I appreciate your perfectionism.

msr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls