U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 AM

7,942 posts, read 7,758,514 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about something. You recently made a move, if I remember correctly. Which team does network tv broadcast where you are now? If you didn't see this part of the discussion, pw72 made the point that at some point eastern ID started to broadcast Seahawk games instead of the Broncos.

MSR - good question you ask! I have become a DirecTV subscriber as of early 2013 (Jan.) and so don't depend on local broadcasting to get my Seahawk games. I know - DUH! I paid for Sunday Ticket this past year because I knew it was gonna be a barnburner of a Seahawk season ta enjoy. Got my money's worth and then some - didn't miss a game, of course! The local (Albuquerque TV stations) didn't seem to pick DEN or DAL to broadcast this past season. If I had to pick one I'd say they put Dallas Cowboy football games on over Denver Bronco games. Sorry for my naivete on this subject - I will go with Sunday Ticket again next season as it worked perfectly ta keep this faraway but not even near fair-weather Seahawk fan entertained inside his little rectangular adobe coated Alamogordo, NM, home!

OK-it's time ta chime in with Super Bowl guesses. I used ta play a Seattle Times football game called Guest Guesser. One would pick from 6 college and 14 pro games who would win. Plus, you'd pick the final score of a game or two in order to determine the winner in case of a draw. With so many thousands Seattle-area residents playing this tie-breaker was an essential part of determining an overall winner. All you'd win would be $100 and getting your name thrown in to the pot to win the Big Final Guest Guesser at the end of the season. The winner would go to the Super Bowl!

Seattle 27, Denver 24. That's my guess and I'm stickin' to it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM

17,196 posts, read 22,995,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Later I'll work on a Bronco post regarding the subject of humble. And I mean HUMBLE!
When the American Football League was formed in 1959, most NFL scribes didn't think it would last a year. And yes, there were a couple clubs who in a few years time were in over their heads financially. There were stories about the New York Titans (later named Jets) having problems regarding their players cashing their game checks only to have them bounce. In 1962 Oakland Owner Wayne Valley almost went bankrupt but Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson lent the club $400,000 to keep the team afloat financially. When the loan was made Mr. Valley remarked that the owners of the AFL had become "the Foolish Club."

Denver didn't have problems to that level but they certainly were limited financially what they could do. They were the only AFL club who could not sign any of their top two draft choices until the two leagues merged. NFL HOFer Dick Butkus's response to signing with the Chicago Bears over the Denver Broncos in the 1965 draft? "It was an easy decision for me to make. I didn't want to play in a city of only 100,000 or so people."

Denver was the only AFL charter franchise that didn't play in a championship game or for that matter a playoff game.

Denver was the only club in the league that did not have a winning record in its history, their best season was a 7-7 record in 1962.

When the AFL/NFL merger coming into effect in 1970, it would be another three seasons before Denver would have their first winning season, going 7-5-2 in 1973.

And the franchise knows about ugly season debuts, here's two of them. 1966 home opener--lost to the Houston Oilers 45-7. In that game the Broncos did not gain a first down the entire game be it running, passing, or penalty.Their touchdown was a 87 yard kickoff return by Goldie Sellers. In the 1963 opener, Kansas City clocked them 59-7. The Chiefs scored in every way manageable. It was the third pro football game I ever went to. Ugly.

There was a lot of problems regarding how the conferences would balance when the merger would take effect. The AFL had ten teams, the NFL had 13 teams. Clearly for the sake of balance 3 teams needed to be switched to the AFC. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. And Cleveland owner Art Modell will forever be remembered for dissing Denver. He made the remark about "the Denver Broncos will play in my stadium over my dead body." Asked why the anger of the remark by several NFL scribes, Modell said "If they played in my stadium for one of our home games, I couldn't sell enough tickets to break even. Nobody wants to go to a game whose opponent has a history like they do."

Denver knows humble beginnings.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-30-2014 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,249,935 times
Default Perhaps a Better Story.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yeah, really cool, but fueling a small argument, (or maybe bigger), as to who is really the host. Notice most of the pregame shows are coming from Manhattan. I know the politically correct answer is New York/New Jersey, but let's face it this is being taken over by NY, with just the small detail of the game being played in New Jersey. They can argue among themselves, all I care about is the game.
The game is what matters to fans. I guess I'm more jaded than you, pw72. I assumed NYC was already in charge when the Championship Games were played. Yes, sadly an interesting marketing venture by Verizon will end in dumb fights.
So read this. I think it's a great story about FANS doing something special for another fan.
Son surprises his mom, who is a diehard Seahawks fan, with Super Bowl tickets | FOX Sports on MSN

msr

Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 AM

Default Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I'm curious about something. You recently made a move, if I remember correctly. Which team does network tv broadcast where you are now? If you didn't see this part of the discussion, pw72 made the point that at some point eastern ID started to broadcast Seahawk games instead of the Broncos.

MSR - good question you ask! I have become a DirecTV subscriber as of early 2013 (Jan.) and so don't depend on local broadcasting to get my Seahawk games. I know - DUH! I paid for Sunday Ticket this past year because I knew it was gonna be a barnburner of a Seahawk season ta enjoy. Got my money's worth and then some - didn't miss a game, of course! The local (Albuquerque TV stations) didn't seem to pick DEN or DAL to broadcast this past season. If I had to pick one I'd say they put Dallas Cowboy football games on over Denver Bronco games. Sorry for my naivete on this subject - I will go with Sunday Ticket again next season as it worked perfectly ta keep this faraway but not even near fair-weather Seahawk fan entertained inside his little rectangular adobe coated Alamogordo, NM, home!

OK-it's time ta chime in with Super Bowl guesses. I used ta play a Seattle Times football game called Guest Guesser. One would pick from 6 college and 14 pro games who would win. Plus, you'd pick the final score of a game or two in order to determine the winner in case of a draw. With so many thousands Seattle-area residents playing this tie-breaker was an essential part of determining an overall winner. All you'd win would be $100 and getting your name thrown in to the pot to win the Big Final Guest Guesser at the end of the season. The winner would go to the Super Bowl!

Seattle 27, Denver 24. That's my guess and I'm stickin' to it!
Great story, Elkotronics.

You've made the first prediction of the final score. Anyone else want to predict today?

MSR

Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 AM

Default The Winner is....

Interesting contest by Fox Sports.

Fox Sports Picks YouTube Musical Duo as Winners of Content Deal Worth $1 Million | Variety

MSR

Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM

276 posts, read 579,708 times
I'll make a prediction:
Denver 41 Seattle 27

Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
When the American Football League was formed in 1959, most NFL scribes didn't think it would last a year. And yes, there were a couple clubs who in a few years time were in over their heads financially. There were stories about the New York Titans (later named Jets) having problems regarding their players cashing their game checks only to have them bounce. In 1962 Oakland Owner Wayne Valley almost went bankrupt but Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson lent the club $400,000 to keep the team afloat financially. When the loan was made Mr. Valley remarked that the owners of the AFL had become "the Foolish Club."

Denver didn't have problems to that level but they certainly were limited financially what they could do. They were the only AFL club who could not sign any of their top two draft choices until the two leagues merged. NFL HOFer Dick Butkus's response to signing with the Chicago Bears over the Denver Broncos in the 1965 draft? "It was an easy decision for me to make. I didn't want to play in a city of only 100,000 or so people."

Denver was the only AFL charter franchise that didn't play in a championship game or for that matter a playoff game.

Denver was the only club in the league that did not have a winning record in its history, their best season was a 7-7 record in 1962.

When the AFL/NFL merger coming into effect in 1970, it would be another three seasons before Denver would have their first winning season, going 7-5-2 in 1973.

And the franchise knows about ugly season debuts, here's two of them. 1966 home opener--lost to the Houston Oilers 45-7. In that game the Broncos did not gain a first down the entire game be it running, passing, or penalty.Their touchdown was a 87 yard kickoff return by Goldie Sellers. In the 1963 opener, Kansas City clocked them 59-7. The Chiefs scored in every way manageable. It was the third pro football game I ever went to. Ugly.

There was a lot of problems regarding how the conferences would balance when the merger would take effect. The AFL had ten teams, the NFL had 13 teams. Clearly for the sake of balance 3 teams needed to be switched to the AFC. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. And Cleveland owner Art Modell will forever be remembered for dissing Denver. He made the remark about "the Denver Broncos will play in my stadium over my dead body." Asked why the anger of the remark by several NFL scribes, Modell said "If they played in my stadium for one of our home games, I couldn't sell enough tickets to break even. Nobody wants to go to a game whose opponent has a history like they do."

Denver knows humble beginnings.
Thanks Double H for all the info!

Hours to go until the game. Do the players or fans have a harder time sleeping?

Anymore predictions tonight? For some reason I'm kind of feeling a Seahawk think tonight and I haven't really before now. Maybe later typing from a different direction..... who knows

MSR

Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 PM

Default A Little Rock and Roll to Help Get Everyone Get Ready

Yesterday I had to go to a business where most if not all the workers were competent female employees. After I finished, the lady helping me was going to wish me a nice weekend or whatever. Instead she kind of leaned over and whispered, "Are you a football fan?"

I told her I'd be watching the Super Bowl and hoped she had a great time too!

Enjoy some Gary Glitter

Gary Glitter Rock n Roll Part 2 1972 - YouTube

MSR

Old 02-01-2014, 09:51 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,758,514 times
Seattle 28, Denver 25.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:32 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,676,829 times
Thumbs up Michael Strahan leads seven-member Hall of Fame class. Including Seattle Seahawk Tackle Walter Jones.

Good news for Seahawk fans, on the eve of the Super Bowl. Left Tackle Walter Jones Elected into the Pro Football Hall Of Fame today. Congrats.
Scott

Michael Strahan leads seven-member Hall of Fame class | ProFootballTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls