U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,511,997 times

Advertisements

yes and it concerns me, to be frank, as a gregarious people person, who leans libertarian.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 02-19-2014 at 04:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 04:32 PM

836 posts, read 1,476,703 times
I haven't noticed Mormonness in IF- but the traffic can be a little vexing. Lotta folks for town of that size on few arteries (esp crossing river) but other than crunch time not too bad.

Nothing like L.A. but also not Mayberry.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM

385 posts, read 441,489 times
as an older, single man, what do you plan on doing in order to make friends?

bars? library? part time job? outdoorsy activities clubs?

I will agree that in this town, you need to put in 2x as much work as you would in many other towns of similar size.

Last edited by tmp4; 02-19-2014 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: ,

Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM

That does concern me, as I thought it might, this may simply not be the wisest of moves for a person with my personality type. My own church which would be a non denominational type, or more traditional types like Presbyterian and etc. Yet I am not a huge church goer, in general though. Don't go to bars, so I might be out of luck.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 PM

25,733 posts, read 17,164,176 times
Hi, starrider.
I'm an Idaho Falls native, but I've lived in several other states for varying periods of time over the years. I've always come back, mostly because of my deep family roots here and because this is the city I feel most at home in always.

My answers will be in bold type

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Here in larger west coast city, and looking to retire to smaller, safer town/city. Looking hard at IF due to low home prices within my budget, and low property taxes, and proximity of city to Yellowstone and other nice mountain ranges and nice nature. Concerns are…

The home prices are indeed low. In general, home prices here are lower than both the Boise area and N. Idaho. Our property taxes are about in the middle of Idaho's taxation range. Much of the city taxes go to our services; we generate our own electricity, so ours is cheaper than most of the state, and the city has it's own garbage collection and water services. Both are charged as a flat rate, and we have no water metering here. In our immediate area outside the city limits, power, garbage and water are both provided by private companies and are all higher than inside the city. County residential taxes may be lower, but everything else averages out to be pretty similar in total costs to homeowners.

1) Are the winters actually around 8 months long out of the year, and very cold?

Traditionally, our winters have begun around the 3rd week of November, with a killing frost happening from mid-September into October. Halloween is usually a cold night, but with no snow. Quite often, we will have a brief cold snap in late September, then enjoy an Indian Summer for the next 3 weeks during the first part of October.
The snows usually begin around Thanksgiving, but they can vary. Some years are snowy by mid-October. December and January are typically the coldest and snowiest, but February is often just as cold and snowy until the last week of the month. March has always been variable; sometimes more winter than spring, other times the reverse. The ground typically remains frozen until mid-late March. May is often rainy.

Our summers arrive suddenly. June can go from very cold to quite warm within a week or less, and our summers are typically dry and very pleasant. Air conditioning is not generally needed here, as our summer nights are typically cool; most homes have ceiling fans, but it all depends on the house.

Idaho Falls, and the state in general has always had a rough 10-year cycle of warm & dry, wet & cold that lasts all year. The 80's, for example, was a decade of wet & cold. During that cycle, our summers rarely got warmer than 90º. On the other cycle, Idaho Falls can have weeks in the high 80's to mid 90's. 100º or over is a rarity for any extended period.

That said… for the past decade, this cycle has not been typical. We have had a mix of both cycles since the early 2000's, and this mix seems to be continuing into the 2010's. But so far, I haven't seen any of the serious cold snaps in January that used to occur cyclically. In the past, I.F. underwent about a week of -10º to -30º temps. We still get them, but not for as long or as cold as in the past. Our springs have been rainier, colder, and longer than before, and our summers have been hotter and longer.

2) Being a single man with no kids, would I have a hard time fitting in, or being socially accepted into the area, seeing it is predominantly Mormon, with larger families? I am not religious, but I am spiritual and a non denominational Christian, but not a heavy church goer.

I'm single, but I'm a native. I have lifelong friends and more recent friends. You won't find the Mormons to be exclusive at all. The Latter Day Saints have been here since the late 1880's, and they are just like any other old established religion; some are extremely faithful adherents, and others are 'Jacks', who were born into the church but haven't attended for most of their lives. Many are in the middle.

If you were to go into a local bar, half the crowd would probably be self-identified as LDS here.
The church does tend to be exclusionary to some extent; they have an extensive social organization with secular activities for all ages and groups. They hold singles dances, for example, that allow single Mormons a way to meet, and sometimes hold their own events such as gold tourneys.

Nontheless, the church is generally welcoming to non-members. if you wanted to go to an LDS singles dance, you would be welcomed, and you could enter a golf tourney as well. Just don't expect to see any liquor or coffee offered, and you would be somewhat of a curiosity, but there wouldn't be any hostility.

The Mormons are active evangelists, so if you did participate in any church sponsored events, there is a possibility that a couple of missionaries may come and ask for a visit. If this was to happen, I encourage newcomers to let them in and talk to them about the religion. This is the best way to learn about it, and how they are as a people. Their missionaries are no more or less pushy than any others.
Some of the towns surrounding I.F. are nearly all LDS, and you'll find that they have a pretty good sense of humor about their peculiarities once you know some of the devout. They like to joke about it, but they may have to explain some of the jokes that crack them up.
Half of my family is LDS, and they are very typical. Some are devout, a few are complete Jacks, and most are in the middle. I'm not, but I've gone to church with them on occasion.

Idaho Falls also has members of many faiths here. We have a large Catholic presence, many Methodists and Presbyterians, and a growing number of Evangelical Baptist churches.

As a people, all Idahoans tend to be self-sufficient and friendly, but rather reserved in comparison to some other states. How much a person gets out and joins civic groups, such as our drama, chorale and art clubs, attends our concerts and other cultural activities makes a big difference in building friendships.

Idaho Falls is still a pretty small town, so once you get to know a few folks, if you are active, the more you will come to know. It happens pretty fast for some newcomers, and slower for others. Our family orientation actually helps single adults a lot in this.

3) Does it ever rain there? I do like rain once in awhile.
Yes. We get rain showers often, but few heavy rainstorms, like the East gets. We almost never have a week or more of heavy rain. We get weeks of intermittent rain often in May and early June, and we get monsoon rains in August sometimes. October is traditionally the driest month.
But Idaho is a dry state. Don't expect rain like Portland or Seattle gets. 18 inches in a year is good in this state. On the other hand, in comparison to Nevada or southern California or Arizona or even Wyoming or the east side of Oregon, Idaho is a green paradise in the driest of years.

At other times, though, we will be dry when everywhere else is getting dumped on. Pocatello, 50 miles to the south, suffered 2 flash floods last summer, while we got almost no rain from either storm.

I am wanting to badly escape from the congestion and traffic of the big city I am now, and I am looking at a few places around the USA, I ruled out N. Idaho, already, so now looking at IF.

There are areas of congestion in Idaho Falls, but we have quite a few alternate routes that alleviate chronic congestion. Lately, I.F. has begun converting former 4-lane thoroughfares into 3-lanes; this has slowed traffic speed down, but has made left turns much easier, so the congestion and danger have both decreased. On some of the former 4-lane streets, bicycle paths have been created, and more bike access to all our major shopping areas is going to be increased in future street changes.

There are some major congestion points outside the city limits. Home building in the county increased more than inside city limits for well over a decade, and the county has been much slower to address this congestion than the city.

Even so, we don't have a one-highway problem here that's as severe as C d'A and northward. The west side of town has fewer traffic options than the east, but there are plans in the works to connect some loops across the river, as the west side of the river has a lot of room for future development.

Thanks
I hope this helps. While idaho Falls isn't in as scenic an area as Cd'A or Sandpoint, the town itself is pretty. Our neighborhoods are well kept in general, and we have many long established neighborhoods that are full of mature trees and landscaping. We also have a lot of parks throughout town. Some are small- only a block or 2, and others are larger, with ball diamonds or other activities. We have a great been belt on both sides of the Snake, which runs through the middle of our downtown, and the greenbelt is steadily lengthening southward along the river banks.

The best thing about living here is the proximity to some of the best places in the nation. And geographically and socially, it is also the most diverse except for the Boise area.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,942,872 times
Default You've Searched and You're Wary -- -

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
I am wary about coming to the area to consider living, permamently,..as a non-Mormon. I do not really know if coming to the area, and feeling that sort of possible "theocratic", and rigid religious ethos in the air....will feel comfortable to me. So that may be the biggest aspect which may win over in preventing me from moving to the area. I am sure it is a great area though, full of great people, just not sure if it is for me yet..
Starrider434,

Since you've searched the various threads and are still wary about Mormons in East Idaho, I admit I'm confused.

If you are wary of Mormons, I don't understand what you think will be different when or if you visit. Do you plan to check out the fast-growing Baptist Church, averaging 25 new members/month) or the other Protestant, Unitarian or Catholic churches?

If you're not comfortable around Mormons, will you have a self-fulfilling prophecy?

The V.A. clinic here also coordinates transportation to the V.A. Hospital/specialty clinics in SLC. But, a volunteer driver might be or might not be LDS.

Your concerns are valid for you whatever they are. That being written, I have no idea how you formed your perceptions nor do I need to know.

What I am suggesting are two things: 1. Read your posts about Mormons, although I don't recall you saying you know any in East Idaho. 2. Be honest with yourself. How open is your mind to all the aspects of life in East Idaho? Bonneville County isn't even 50% LDS. However, Madison County, home to BYU-Idaho is higher than 90%, although there are different churches in Rexburg too.

What do you see when you look at your posts? Can East Idaho meet your criteria?

MSR

Old 02-20-2014, 06:26 AM

Thanks for all your replies.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM

207 posts, read 385,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
I'm thinking along the same lines as you StarRider.
Idaho Falls is in a good location.
No where in Idaho is winter 8 months long.
I taking a trip over there the week of March 23rd to feel her out.
Probably a little easier for me since I'm in Boise.
Boise's nice, but I don't love it.
Just plain too many people.
I'll report on here after my trip.
Thanks for your threads and posts here - we are doing the same type move as your family it seems, and Boise might be too many people for us, too. You have encouraged me to check out the I.F. area.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM

276 posts, read 564,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Thanks for your threads and posts here - we are doing the same type move as your family it seems, and Boise might be too many people for us, too. You have encouraged me to check out the I.F. area.
Maybe I'll see you there.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,357 times
would Idaho Falls be a safe place for a single black american man? Ask your friends and neighbors first. I am a old veteran looking for a cheaper place to live. Don't need or want trouble with evil people. Niteflier17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls