U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:55 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,548,788 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I am retired, military. Living in a large congested, way overcrowded city in the PNW. I am considering a move to Idaho Falls, as it is on my short list of places I am researching for retirement. I am single, with no kids, and can go anywhere I want. Please tell me about these things:

Crime in Idaho Falls?

Are people friendly? I am Christian and go to church, but not Mormon

Is it good for dating? Are there mature single women in the area for friendship and dating?

Are the winters worse then say, in Maine? or North Dakota?

Is it pretty there?

How is the VA outpatient clinic there if anyone knows?

How is the housing market right now there?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM

10,688 posts, read 6,337,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Hello there, I am retired, military. Living in a large congested, way overcrowded city in the PNW. I am considering a move to Idaho Falls, as it is on my short list of places I am researching for retirement. I am single, with no kids, and can go anywhere I want. Please tell me about these things:

Crime in Idaho Falls?

Are people friendly? I am Christian and go to church, but not Mormon

Is it good for dating? Are there mature single women in the area for friendship and dating?

Are the winters worse then say, in Maine? or North Dakota?

Is it pretty there?

How is the VA outpatient clinic there if anyone knows?

How is the housing market right now there?

Thanks
You will get lots of good answers shorty. The wife and I were considering IF until recently and spent ten days in the area this past September. Frankly, I think it is just great. No traffic, very friendly people, within three hours of the Grand Tetons directly east, Yellowstone to the NNE, and Craters of the moon out in the plains to the southwest.

We looked at a number of different properties and I've never seen anyplace in the west less expensive than in If/Pocatello.

If they have a VA outpatient clinic then you've probably got just about the best health care you can possibly find, as the VA is highly ranked for quality and satisfaction by those in the system. Most of the complaints about the VA come from those who can't get into the system.

If we had not decided to move back close to our son and his family in Colorado, we would definitely be going to IF.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:25 PM

Sounds good yes the housing prices are extremely cheap there in Idaho Falls. I want to use my VA home loan and get myself something but I don't want a huge mortgage so I am looking at more rural and small areas that are pretty around the USA...... that still have affordable homes for sale with a little bit of acreage and the crime is low. Pretty nature nearby is also high on my list.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 PM

26,135 posts, read 17,496,727 times
We do have a local VA outpatient clinic. It was created just a few months ago, and there is another in Pocatello.

We also have many churches of all denominations here, besides the LDS. The housing market is good, but it all depends on what price bracket you are interested in. Right now, luxury homes are slower sellers, but here, a $400,000 home is a luxury home.

The winters here are not typically as cold as those in the Dakotas. Idaho Falls gets a prevalent wind from the southwest, so our weather comes east from the Oregon coast. The west side of the Rockies stops it here and turns it southward. On the other side of the Divide, the prevalent wind comes down from the pole.
Our winter temps are probably close to Maine's but our air is much drier, and so is our snow. We get powder, they get wet snow. I.F. is higher than most of Maine, I think. Our weather is very similar to Salt Lake City's, because we get the weather before they do.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but many visitors and tourists think Idaho Falls is a pretty city. The falls run through the middle of the downtown area and have a beautiful greenbelt on both banks. All our central subdivisions are very heavily wooded with trees, and we have a lot of public parks, much more than usual for a town our size.
While the surrounding scenery is not jaw-dropping majestic, our city is extremely well located for access to the most magnificent mountains in the state. Yellowstone, the Tetons, the Craters of the Moon, the Sawtooths and the White Clouds are all only a few hours away, and the Snake River Canyon lying just north of Idaho Falls is incredible. Folks don't realize what's here because the Interstate skirts it all, but once off the interstate, it's totally different than it appears to be.

Dating is dating. The more a person gets out, the more singles they meet. Churches and civic groups are a good way to meet mature singles.

Hope this helps! I've skipped a bunch of stuff, like the Museum of Idaho, the state's only museum that mounts major exhibits, and many of our other cultural attractions.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:21 PM

No luxury homes for me, lol. Looking way lower than 400k, lol. Thanks of info. Wow, I thought there were mountains closer to IF. U say you cant even see the mountains from downtown IF? How is Poky? I read there are mountain's there. Yes I read about the clinic in IF. Still a long drive to a large VA medical center though, for emergency related health stuff. Which is a concern of mine. Guess one would have to drive to Boise or to SLC. They say Maine has two seasons, mud and winter season. Read something about cars rusting out in 5 years or so up there in ME. And that folks put an oil undercoating on the cars to protect from all the salt laid down on the roads in the winter there in ME. Sounds rough.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM

10,688 posts, read 6,337,483 times
There are mountains closer to Pocatello--looming over the town. However between the two small cities I would still pick IF--and the wife and I love mountains. IF has the only "inside" mall in the area (and I like to walk even in the cold winter). Pocatello's malls are strip type.

You might want to get a subscription to the Idaho Falls Magazine. We did. It's mostly advertisements, but has a great section that is a calendar of events for the two month period the magazine covers. And there are some interesting articles. I enjoyed the one in the Jan-Feb edition that talks about grilling outside in the winter with tips on how it works best! The writer made a lot of sense that it is more intuitive to stand near a hot grill in winter than when it is 90 degrees outside.

The magazine also has articles or ads on upcoming cultural events.

Now Pocatello would be closer to SLC and Boise in the event you needed more than outpatient treatment from the VA. But then IF has an airport that good fly you out in an emergency.

To me, Pocatello seemed a little more confusing for driving than IF, but I'm sure that would disappear after awhile. I do believe Poky is more subject to some flooding when it rains hard. It sure did while we were there. Some streets got closed off.

I'm a Vietnam vet, so I have some concern for any brothers in arms finding a place that is comfortable for them.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,589,801 times
There is also a small VA Clinic in Salmon Idaho 162 miles and 2 1/2 hours N/E of Idaho Falls.
Just information for you.
Scott

Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM

they got clinics both in Pocatello and in Idaho Falls I wouldn't have to go to salmon....

Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM

6,131 posts, read 4,337,732 times
Quote:
they got clinics both in Pocatello and in Idaho Falls I wouldn't have to go to salmon....
No, but if you're looking for pretty mountains and are not tied to the idea of living in a city, you may want to take a look at the Big Lost River Valley area. The base of the mountains begin in Arco and only get bigger and prettier from there - moving up to Mackay, Challis, Salmon etc. Gorgeous area. Low crime. Churches. Not sure how the dating scene would be though. Rugged, isolated, beautiful, great fishing and other outdoor pursuits.

Mackay, Idaho :: Recreation - Fun for the Whole Family

Old 01-16-2014, 04:54 PM

26,135 posts, read 17,496,727 times
Quote:
No luxury homes for me, lol. Looking way lower than 400k, lol. Thanks of info. Wow, I thought there were mountains closer to IF. U say you cant even see the mountains from downtown IF? How is Poky? I read there are mountain's there. Yes I read about the clinic in IF. Still a long drive to a large VA medical center though, for emergency related health stuff. Which is a concern of mine. Guess one would have to drive to Boise or to SLC. They say Maine has two seasons, mud and winter season. Read something about cars rusting out in 5 years or so up there in ME. And that folks put an oil undercoating on the cars to protect from all the salt laid down on the roads in the winter there in ME. Sounds rough.
It really depend on where you are in town, and what you consider to be mountains.
Taylor mountain can easily be seen from almost any location, while the Tetons can be seen in some places and not in others. Taylor is a bonafied mountain, but not nearly as rugged as the Tetons.
We have many foothills just a few miles away, and they're all visible from all over town. The view to the west is flatter by far, but the Twin Buttes and the Lost River range are visible.

Idaho Falls has a lot of mature trees. Some neighborhoods are so wooded the trees interfere with the distant horizons, but that's not a bad thing.

We're a lot like Boise in this regard. Boise also has lots of foothills with mountains in the distance. Lots of trees there, too.

The VA hospital in SLC is the closest, and there is one in Boise. As far as I know Boise has the only one in the state. It's a 4 hour drive or less to Salt Lake City, and about a 5 hour drive to Boise from here, depending on the route taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls