Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 AM

17 posts, read 41,343 times

Advertisements

Traffic is really not a big problem here and there are a lot of things /outdoor activities you can do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 AM

207 posts, read 443,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjo View Post
I'm generally friendly and I would hope no one would treat you badly because of differing religious views. I hope you find people friendly here in general, LDS or nonLDS. But if you run into someone that is LDS that is unkind to you, you let me know and I'll give them a talking to!
[/url]
Does that apply to all people who want to move there? I would like to have backup just in case...
Seriously though, thank you for these answers you gave him - they are so helpful to us as well, since we are considering a similar move to that area.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
That is quite true. And when I forget to renew tags online, I can hop into DMV on the last Friday of the month and be in and out in less than 15 minutes
I know the registration is cheaper, but you guys have property taxes each year on vehicles there also, is that right? I'm from TN and had never heard of such a thing until I moved to nearby states. It is frustrating to me to have to pay taxes on a car over and over and over each year, but I guess it kind of evens out - at least that is what I've been told. For example, in TN we would just pay around $100 or so each year for tags/registration and no property tax. In AR or MO you pay less for tags/registration but pay property tax each year - but it still feels more expensive to me.

However, a less than 15 minute trip to the DMV would be like heaven.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 PM

26 posts, read 45,924 times
As far as I know, I don't pay a yearly tax on my car. However, maybe that comes on the initial purchase?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emp1r3 View Post
As far as I know, I don't pay a yearly tax on my car. However, maybe that comes on the initial purchase?
Thank you so much for posting this! I checked a little online, and found this:
"The operating fee for motor vehicles in Idaho is in lieu of personal property taxes..."
(from: Motor Vehicle)
So according to this, I can get new tags and registration for under $50??
(Idaho DMV Vehicle Registration Fees)

And Bonneville County doesn't require inspections either??

Man, Idaho seriously ROCKS!!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 13,140 times
For the non-believers or skeptics the vehicle registrations, licenses and taxes information came straight from the DMV website: Idaho DMV Guide - DMV.org: The ID DMV Made Simple or https://www.accessidaho.org/
For those that want to check out the costs on the DMV site one of the zip codes for the Idaho Falls area (Ammon,Id) is 83401.
No property tax on cars in Idaho…in fact that is the first time I have heard of that...Crazy!
The following info I copy and paste off the dmv site and I know its true because I just paid $36 for my plate stickers this month.
Renewing Your License in Idaho:
If you are 21 to 62 years old, you may choose to renew your license every 4 years ($30) or 8 years ($55). If you're older than 62 years old, you must renew for 4 years.

ID Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
The basic Idaho registration renewal fees are based on the age of your vehicle:
1 - 2 years old: $48.
3 - 4 years old: $36.
5 - 6 years old: $36
7 years old or older:$24.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,231 times
My wife and I are looking to visit Idaho for a couple of weeks beginning late June and early July. I will be retiring from a 30 year career in education in Georgia (teacher, coach, high school principal) this summer and my wife and I want to scout out the area for a possible place to work and play near the ski resorts and golf courses. We are going to take it slow as we will not sell everything and just up and move. We would both love to work at a place where we can have fun and at the same time show our Southern hospitality in the resort business. We have no idea where to start. We live in a rural area of north Georgia and are seriously considering a long term move. I have looked at several places but honestly do not know where to begin. We would like to rent a place for a season first and make enough to pay the rent. We are not looking to get rich but we are looking to work at a place where we can enjoy the benefits. We cannot come without our dachshund though, so I know that we would be limited where we could stay. We want to live close enough to where we can work and play. I know most of these jobs are for younger adults but we are very athletic and active at 54 years of age. Anyone out there who could help guide us in the right direction? Thanks for your help!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 AM

26 posts, read 45,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emac112360 View Post
My wife and I are looking to visit Idaho for a couple of weeks beginning late June and early July. I will be retiring from a 30 year career in education in Georgia (teacher, coach, high school principal) this summer and my wife and I want to scout out the area for a possible place to work and play near the ski resorts and golf courses. We are going to take it slow as we will not sell everything and just up and move. We would both love to work at a place where we can have fun and at the same time show our Southern hospitality in the resort business. We have no idea where to start. We live in a rural area of north Georgia and are seriously considering a long term move. I have looked at several places but honestly do not know where to begin. We would like to rent a place for a season first and make enough to pay the rent. We are not looking to get rich but we are looking to work at a place where we can enjoy the benefits. We cannot come without our dachshund though, so I know that we would be limited where we could stay. We want to live close enough to where we can work and play. I know most of these jobs are for younger adults but we are very athletic and active at 54 years of age. Anyone out there who could help guide us in the right direction? Thanks for your help!

emac, if you are looking to settle near a resort, than Idaho Falls gives you somewhat of a proximity (1.5 hours from Jackson Hole). However, the roads into Jackson can get very ugly during the winter. There is also Sun Valley, Idaho, which I am less familiar with. Those are the two biggest resort locations nearest us, though a lot of locals also go to Kelly Canyon Ski Resort. Each one is obviously going to put you into a more rural situation. Living in Jackson would cost you an arm and a leg. Not sure about Sun Valley, but both have cities on the outskirts (Driggs and Victor are close to Jackson and Ketchum is close to Sun Valley).

Old 03-02-2014, 01:53 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
I know the registration is cheaper, but you guys have property taxes each year on vehicles there also, is that right? I'm from TN and had never heard of such a thing until I moved to nearby states. It is frustrating to me to have to pay taxes on a car over and over and over each year, but I guess it kind of evens out - at least that is what I've been told. For example, in TN we would just pay around $100 or so each year for tags/registration and no property tax. In AR or MO you pay less for tags/registration but pay property tax each year - but it still feels more expensive to me.

However, a less than 15 minute trip to the DMV would be like heaven.
Nope. All we pay is sales tax when we buy a car.
The cost of our tags varies as to the type of vehicle being registered. My car runs about $38 for tags.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:02 PM

28 posts, read 60,811 times
If you're non-LDS in a predominantly LDS community (meaning they own and run everything), be prepared to have a tougher time finding a house to buy, or the best job/promotion.

Brothers and sisters get first consideration.

For instance, make a full price offer on homes, only to have it turned down, and then sold a couple months later at $20K less than the asking price to a member.

I remember once my parents tried to buy an LDS home, and the owner said she would not accept the offer until she met them in person. Owner found out they were not LDS, refused their offer, and then sold it three weeks later at much less than my parents offered to an LDS family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls