U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 PM
 
276 posts, read 589,271 times
Reputation: 323

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating my family to Idaho Falls.
I've been through there many times driving from Montana
to Cali, but never really stopped to have a look around.

Are there mountains within twenty minutes?
How are the public schools?
Are the people nice?
How's traffic?
Is the cost of living reasonable?
Is there much building construction going on?
Also, we're not LDS. Is the city in general friendly to non LDS families?

The reason I'm considering IF is its proximity to Yellowstone, Salmon, CotM,
Lost River Range, places like that. I want to be close to outdoor recreation.

Thanks in advance for responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2014, 12:57 PM
 
385 posts, read 469,472 times
Reputation: 136
Yes
N/A
I'll agree with what I read in another thread -- everyone here is very "surface friendly."
There is zero traffic on the interstate or most highways. You'll encounter some traffic on the city streets, but it's manageable.
I.F. is a very cheap place to live compared to anywhere I've ever lived.
There are new buildings going up everyday. My opinion is that I.F. is on the verge of significant growth, but I have nothing to base that on, aside from my gut feeling.
They are nice. Contrary to popular belief, religion is rarely a topic. In my year living here, I've never had a religious conversation with anyone, unless I was the one who brought it up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
27,469 posts, read 18,943,379 times
Reputation: 21549
There is plenty of outdoor recreation, for sure.
Some of it is within the city limits. There are 2 large city parks that are used for biking in the summer and xc skiing in the winter, and folks go finishing in the Snake river all the time. It runs right through the middle of town.

We also have many organized sports leagues that include winter sports, including a new fully equipped hockey rink.

Come out and spend a week or two… I think you would be very happy here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 PM
 
276 posts, read 589,271 times
Reputation: 323
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not too interested in outdoor recreation in a city.
I like to get out into the woods as often as possible.
One of my biggest concerns is the public school system.
I'm concerned about the overall quality,
as well as how non-LDS children will be treated by the staff and other students.
I think a weekend trip over there is going to happen soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 AM
 
2 posts, read 12,754 times
Reputation: 18
I have been looking for moving advice for another state and was disappointed to read a lot of squabbling instead of helpful information. I looked at this for fun to see what was being said about the area I live. Since there are not that many listed and I can hopefully answer your questions, here's my opinion. Im going to write IF for Idaho Falls, but locals do call it I.F. sometimes.
I grew up in Rigby (about 15 miles north of IF) then lived in many other states. I moved back to the area to raise my family. We have lived in Shelley (about 15 miles south of IF) the last 10 years. So with 30+ yrs of being in the area I hope this helps.

Are there mountains within twenty minutes?
If you live right in IF, I would say no not really. There are the foothills and a few other places close but most are privately owned. If you want big tree covered mountains its 30+. The places you mentioned are over 100 miles from IF. If you want to live in the mountains you will need to look to the north or east of IF. There are pockets of mountain type areas & foothills closer to IF, but they don't often come up for sale. You should also consider that the mountain areas are not always easy to get to in the winter months and some have no winter access at all. The mountains are gorgeous, but it all depends if you want to live close to the mountains and travel for amenities or live in town and go to the mountains when you can. IF is the largest town in the area, those that live in the outskirt areas go there to shop. Some of the smaller towns have gas stations, grocery stores and some variety stores like Kings, Family Dollar, etc. A few have Walmarts, but only IF has bigger outlets like Sams,Target, ShopKo, Ross and the mall stores, like Sears, JCP, etc. There are LOTS of beautiful places for day trips or camping.

How are the public schools?
I think they are OK. This is middle class America were the stereotype "jocks over geeks" still rings true. I am not a fan of what is happening to small town Americans public schools. The wages and money cuts to public schools in Idaho are terrible. We saw a lot of new teachers leave for greener pastures. BUT overall I think most teachers really try to be great at their jobs. As far as recommending schools?? It will all depend on where you live. In the smaller towns there is only one choice. Plus in the past few years there has been administration changes in many of the school districts and new schools built and being built throughout the valley so there are changes and "growing pains" going on in most of the districts.

Are the people nice?
I think so. I believe that your attitude can make a lot of difference. We made good friends and our neighborhood is great. But it does take time in some cases, we are indoors a lot of the year due to the weather, but people over all are courteous. There are a lot of "move ins" that seem unfriendly, coming from areas that you don't make eye contact and say hello to everyone like my dad still does. One matter were you live you take the risk of living by people you will get along with and people you won't. When we moved here most of the neighbors came and introduced themselves, but our next door neighbor was horrible to us. Yelled at the kids for standing on his grass, mowed his grass at 5:30 am, and basically scowled at us whenever he saw us. After 5 years and a particular incident I finally confronted him asking what his problem was with us. It ended up being a total misunderstanding caused by the previous owner of our home. Now he brings us things for his garden, watches out for my kids and shovels our snow. We couldn't ask for a better neighbor, so you just never know!

How's traffic?
Traffic in IDAHO ;D I have lived in big cities were you avoided rush hour because of the hour you're basically be parked on the freeway, so there is no traffic here. BUT Depending on what you are use to, there are times during the day that you may be at a stop light for a bit longer, get stuck behind a long line of cars going to or leaving school or work. More often get stuck behind a school bus, tractor or little old lady. In the summer there is construction work and road maintenance in areas. Most people drive nice here, keep to the limits or around 5 above. Idaho cops are known for giving out speeding tickets, Interstate15 and HWY20 are "the revenue highways" for the state, mainly because of it being the tourist route to Yellowstone Park.

Is the cost of living reasonable?
Yes, compared to other states very reasonable. Gas is at about $3.10 for 85% right now. Our house is about 1400 sq ft and our gas heating bill has never been more than $85 in the winter. Electric is about $60. Car registration is based on county and age of vehicle ranging from $48-24. Housing is like everywhere else, it depends on what you want? Realtor.com or the like can give you a pretty good idea about whats out there and were.

Is there much building construction going on?
Its starting back up a little. There was a huge house building boom before the recession. But there is always a little building going on and land lots for sale. If your reason for asking is for employment/work, not a whole lot of work in that field yet. My friends that work as a builder, a union electrician and one as a cabinet maker had to leave the state for work.

Also, we're not LDS. Is the city in general friendly to non LDS families?
Hard to answer since I am LDS. I'm generally friendly and I would hope no one would treat you badly because of differing religious views. I hope you find people friendly here in general, LDS or nonLDS. But if you run into someone that is LDS that is unkind to you, you let me know and I'll give them a talking to! To be honest I think it is more about personalities here. 'Cause lets face it there are all kinds of people in this world: good, stuck-up, honest, dishonest, friendly, rude, caring, etc... we just hope that we can find a few good ones to call friends.
Hope that helped and good luck!!!

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...#ixzz2szl2jXDJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Idaho
5,906 posts, read 6,294,311 times
Reputation: 12647
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjo View Post

Is the cost of living reasonable?
Yes, compared to other states very reasonable. Gas is at about $3.10 for 85% right now. Our house is about 1400 sq ft and our gas heating bill has never been more than $85 in the winter. Electric is about $60. Car registration is based on county and age of vehicle ranging from $48-24. Housing is like everywhere else, it depends on what you want? Realtor.com or the like can give you a pretty good idea about whats out there and were.
SAY WHAT! The yearly fee for registering an automobile/truck is only $24 to $48??? I hear a lot about how the COL in Idaho is less, but have never heard any figures or stats to back it up. If what you say is ture, this is the first concrete evidence presented to me about costs truly being less in ID.

Gasoline prices are pretty low pretty much everywhere in the Intermountain West. That's a wash. Housing costs are pretty equivalent also, only varying in what you get for your money.

Thanks for your post. It is informative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 02:45 PM
 
276 posts, read 589,271 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjo View Post
I have been looking for moving advice for another state and was disappointed to read a lot of squabbling instead of helpful information. I looked at this for fun to see what was being said about the area I live. Since there are not that many listed and I can hopefully answer your questions, here's my opinion. Im going to write IF for Idaho Falls, but locals do call it I.F. sometimes.
I grew up in Rigby (about 15 miles north of IF) then lived in many other states. I moved back to the area to raise my family. We have lived in Shelley (about 15 miles south of IF) the last 10 years. So with 30+ yrs of being in the area I hope this helps.
I appreciate your thoughtful response.
I'm definitely leaning toward a move there.
Right now in Boise, which is a nice city, but I don't love it.
I need to make a trip over there and get a feel for the area.
Probably in March when the kids get out of school for spring break.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Land of Red
5,031 posts, read 17,107,973 times
Reputation: 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
SAY WHAT! The yearly fee for registering an automobile/truck is only $24 to $48??? I hear a lot about how the COL in Idaho is less, but have never heard any figures or stats to back it up. If what you say is ture, this is the first concrete evidence presented to me about costs truly being less in ID.

Gasoline prices are pretty low pretty much everywhere in the Intermountain West. That's a wash. Housing costs are pretty equivalent also, only varying in what you get for your money.

Thanks for your post. It is informative.
That is quite true. And when I forget to renew tags online, I can hop into DMV on the last Friday of the month and be in and out in less than 15 minutes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM
 
26 posts, read 43,644 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
The reason I'm considering IF is its proximity to Yellowstone, Salmon, CotM,
Lost River Range, places like that. I want to be close to outdoor recreation.

Thanks in advance for responses.
For this reason alone I would invite you to explore eastern Idaho. As with Montana and Wyoming, east Idaho's main draw is it's outdoor activities. Personally, that is why I am getting out of Idaho. I'm a big city guy, so I really do have a hard time here. However, I would recommend Idaho Falls. There is plenty to do. Be ready for some hairy traffic though, as most of the businesses are located primarily on two roads (17th street and Hitt). It's generally a nice town, and I wouldn't worry about the Mormons. Although I am a practicing Mormon and strong in my faith, I prefer to be around noon members just as much, if not more, then fellow Mormons. There are plenty like me.

The cost of living is low, with property taxes outside of the city of Ammon being incredibly low. It is a right to work state, however, and sometimes finding a decent paying job can be difficult even with a degree. If you are anengineer or lawyer, you will have a hard time as the saturation hereis ridiculous.

Overall, for your purposes , I'd recommend I.F. for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 PM
 
276 posts, read 589,271 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by emp1r3 View Post
For this reason alone I would invite you to explore eastern Idaho. As with Montana and Wyoming, east Idaho's main draw is it's outdoor activities. Personally, that is why I am getting out of Idaho. I'm a big city guy, so I really do have a hard time here. However, I would recommend Idaho Falls. There is plenty to do. Be ready for some hairy traffic though, as most of the businesses are located primarily on two roads (17th street and Hitt). It's generally a nice town, and I wouldn't worry about the Mormons. Although I am a practicing Mormon and strong in my faith, I prefer to be around noon members just as much, if not more, then fellow Mormons. There are plenty like me.

The cost of living is low, with property taxes outside of the city of Ammon being incredibly low. It is a right to work state, however, and sometimes finding a decent paying job can be difficult even with a degree. If you are anengineer or lawyer, you will have a hard time as the saturation hereis ridiculous.

Overall, for your purposes , I'd recommend I.F. for you.
Thank you for this encouraging post.
Looking forward to a trip over there soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top