Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:13 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,412,419 times

Advertisements

A lot of us are following local snowboarder, Jessika Jenson, from Rigby qualifying for the Semi -Finals. Rigby native Jessika Jenson to make Olympic debut | Latest News - Home

What sports do you like to watch during the winter Olympics?

I'll start with one that isn't the most popular for most: Curling. There were benefits living in SLC during the UT Olypmics I'd never been remotely interested in Curling previously. I don't know if we got extra programming or how many of us got to learn about the strategies used in winning. Talk about a combination of bowling, golfing and sweeping skills.

How about you?

And GOOD LUCK JESSIKA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 PM

Default Jessika Jenson to the Semis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
A lot of us are following local snowboarder, Jessika Jenson, from Rigby qualifying for the Semi -Finals. Rigby native Jessika Jenson to make Olympic debut | Latest News - Home

What sports do you like to watch during the winter Olympics?

I'll start with one that isn't the most popular for most: Curling. There were benefits living in SLC during the UT Olypmics I'd never been remotely interested in Curling previously. I don't know if we got extra programming or how many of us got to learn about the strategies used in winning. Talk about a combination of bowling, golfing and sweeping skills.

How about you?

And GOOD LUCK JESSIKA!
Here's the link for Jessika qualifying for the Semis. Rigby athlete goes to semi-finals | Latest News - Home

GOOD LUCK JESSIKA!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,244,900 times
Ok, MSR i will join in on the join conversation, about the winter olympics. Two man and four Bob sled racing, following by alpine skiing, and Grand Slalom skiing. I am sure I'll think of other events when i sign off, as usual.
Good of you to post about a one of Idaho's own from Rigby, US Olympic team member Jessika Jenson . Will watch.
Scott

Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,289,861 times
I like everything!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:03 AM

Default Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I like everything!
I like most of the events too, Mike. I was surprised how many in UT enjoyed Curling when we never had previously. Ogden started some community teams after the Olympics.

I was fortunate enough to be a guest of someone at the Skating Oval where the skating racing occurred. That ice is maintained differently than how the ice for Figure Skating is done. Derek Para was the Utah native who competed in these races for two Olympics.

Somehow I got in the middle of other Dutch Olympic Athletes outside the Skating Oval, as they were coming to cheer on the Dutch speed skaters. They were a friendly, happy and content group who had very colorful uniforms. They also had some unusual traditions while sitting in the stands cheering.

It was my pleasure to take about 30 pictures of the Dutch Athletes. Now when I watch Speed Skating, I look for fellow Dutch Olympian supporters in the stands.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-08-2014 at 05:12 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,241,479 times
I've tried and cannot watch Curling, that's alright it seems there are at least two dozen people that like it right?

My favs happen in Summer, however for Winter I make it a point to catch the figure skating and am enjoying the newly added slope (snowboards) along with another favorite of mine being downhill skiing. Side note: in Summer I love watching the Grand Prix jumping and gymnastics. Sadly in The States, even during Atlanta, Grand Prix jumping gets minimal TV coverage

Old 02-09-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I've tried and cannot watch Curling, that's alright it seems there are at least two dozen people that like it right?

My favs happen in Summer, however for Winter I make it a point to catch the figure skating and am enjoying the newly added slope (snowboards) along with another favorite of mine being downhill skiing. Side note: in Summer I love watching the Grand Prix jumping and gymnastics. Sadly in The States, even during Atlanta, Grand Prix jumping gets minimal TV coverage
That's how I use to be. We got to see all the concerts that weren't televised nationally and a bunch of other goodies. I'm thinking they probably showed the local audience more about it. It was enough to form a men and women's league.

I think it was mentally relaxing, didn't have hysterical fans screaming, was a sport that required an I.Q. above room temp to plan strategy, physically demanding, required working with a partner, having the eye/hand coordination left over from marbles or bowling to land where one hoped and all the above like an indoor golf.

I don't think any player will sustain a life altering or life ending injury like the Alpine sports can. The young Brazilian athlete who was skiing recreactionally at Park City about two weeks ago and hit a tree. She wouldn't be alive had it not been Park City, the immediate neuro critical care she received and if she had been hit an inch higher. She's a C3-4. I guessed that when I heard symptoms. Later, after 2-3 days in NCC, the Neurosurgeons finally felt they could take her to surgery to stabilize those C spine.

The young lady got moved to a spinal rehab hospital in Miami about a week ago. I hope she beats the odds!
I posted about her in Current Events.

Unfortunately, that accident could have happened to a curler or anyone else too.

I like the skating if it's judged fairly. Not sure how that will go in Russia The Skaters train as hard as the other athletes

And no doubt about it, watching speed skating in person was far more exciting than I think watching Curling from the stands

Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM

BTW-glad the U.S. got the Ladies Gold in Jessika Jenson's sport. She did well for her first Olympics, IMHO.

MSR

Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 AM

Default Medal Count

I'm wondering if anyone else thinks there is no way the U. S. can leave with the most medals? Stated differently, what nation do you think will have the most medals?

I wonder if an INL team or teams went over to monitor radiation. Since it's Russia we may not know, but INL has worked with about 2-3 Olympics now.

And I'm proud of Jessika Jenson for her 5th place finish. The local word is she has a younger sister even more advanced. I don't know how old an athlete has to be to compete in the Olympics. It would be great to see sisters competing together in the next Olympics

MSR

Old 02-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Scoreboard

As the saying goes, "Scoreboard!"

WTG Team USA!
Home -- Sports News, Scores, Schedules, Videos and Fantasy Games | FOX Sports on MSN

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: