Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:27 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to think of a way we could talk about news contents, styles of reporting in our local market. Perhaps a few publications like Idaho Falls Magazine, at times when news of the State of the City or other news facts have been made available for the public faster than the newspaper or television news. Probably a radio station or two have news updates too. East Idaho News and Idaho Falls News potentially should be included, although I believe they cover different info.

It's beyond the scope here to discuss national talk radio or Cable News. The points of opening this thread are two: 1. Comment on our local news coverage and who we think is doing a good job or who is ready for a tweak. Also, since we are a smaller market, new news staff members on tv usually have a 2 year contract. There are always exceptions. I believe if one reads the bios, almost every new hire at one station has worked previously in reporting, writing, editing for the major News networks, often in D.C., NYC or another large market. My point is they are new to being in front of the camera.

2. The second purpose is to share news others may not yet know, but do it in a manner that doesn't violate terms of paid subscriptions for those of us who have one or more. Plus how Apps are or are not being used may become a discussion factor at some point.

I'm going to start with an example that has frustrated me the last couple of days. The return of flight service directly from IFRA to Minneapolis was announced on 2/11. A lot of us to hear of this possibility were excited to hear a Wed, Sat, Sun scheduled to start in June was confirmed on 2/11. I posted in the I. F. Development thread about this. I wrote news would be available soon. Ha, ha - that joke was on me.

I haven't looked at the tv websites today so I don't know if after about 42 hrs. someone finally put it up or not.

I know the story is in the P.R. I'd love to share some details but today's PR defaults to a furniture mattress ad. The PR usually delivers their product so something is wrong today.

One of the other news sources above now has some information about the flight and I will post it. But before I do, how do you think the media verbally reported the story but didn't get it out as fast? This is a big deal to get Delta to start this flight as MN connects for the direct flights to D.C. and northeastern cities. Delta also expans service based on need. I absolutely there will be more weekday flights later, but most of their Commuter Airlines are committed to routes in June - Aug or Sept.

Please post where you get your news, do you think the paid subscriptions are worth it or what other newspapers you read.

msr

MN flight link: [url]http://www.eastidahonews.com/2014/02/new-flights-from-idaho-falls-to-minneapolis/[/url

Well, I'll have to ask Sage if he can remove this and started a new thread. Too many DMs coming in at once somehow landed what was a new thread here

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-13-2014 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: Adding Link about I.F. - Minn Flight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 01:00 PM

tmp4,

I know you have referenced the Idaho State Journal before. Do you subscribe?

You also sent me that superb article from the Rocky Mountain News ( from Denver).

I'm wondering how many use out-of-the state newspapers to get news.

What do you all think about where we can get our news via newspapers?

MSR

Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM

385 posts, read 526,335 times
no, I get all my news on the internet. I wish I had time to read the newspaper!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
I usually get news also on the Internet about different locations and states. I go to towns on-line and usually see the town paper on line and start reading. Of course some times you cannot finish the story unless you Prescribe to the paper. Which is sometimes not practical. Other town news papers allow you to read up to seven articles a month free. That is how i research towns in Idaho for information.
Scott

Old 02-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Have You Tried These?

Scott,

Have you checked these smaller newspapers?

I realize the local high school sports scores etc. are of limited value. But something might be useful.

BTW- did you see what I added to the Seahawks thread this week about the player who referenced Costco when talking about his next contract? It was a funny headline

Blackfoot Morning News

and

News - Mobile Adv

MSR

Old 02-15-2014, 05:51 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Scott,

Have you checked these smaller newspapers?

I realize the local high school sports scores etc. are of limited value. But something might be useful.

BTW- did you see what I added to the Seahawks thread this week about the player who referenced Costco when talking about his next contract? It was a funny headline

Blackfoot Morning News

and

News - Mobile Adv

MSR
Thanks again MSR for the news links. I like to read the local papers, it gives me a feel for the community
I too have looked at the Idaho State Journal. I like it and have to Subscribe after a certain time frame. I believe i have a few more times i can read before i have to decide, if i want to Subscribe to the Idaho Journal.
I'll check into it later on.
Scott

Old 02-20-2014, 02:34 PM

Default Y.w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Thanks again MSR for the news links. I like to read the local papers, it gives me a feel for the community
I too have looked at the Idaho State Journal. I like it and have to Subscribe after a certain time frame. I believe i have a few more times i can read before i have to decide, if i want to Subscribe to the Idaho Journal.
I'll check into it later on.
Scott
You're welcome Scott. The Post Register usually has the most but it is subscription. Let us know if those newspaper links help

Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Default Idaho Falls News, East Idaho News

Because the purpose of this thread is to share links for news with established, newer and potentially new residents, I'm hoping those who contributed information in a different thread will be willing to post again. I hope this thread will become a central thread for where to learn more, for those who search.

BanjoMike and pw72 seemed to know the most about Idaho Falls News (which appears to be adding more but I'm not sure how accurate some parts are). They and potentially knew the most about East Idaho News too.
Would those who know about those sources of info please post the important info here? Are they local, regional or national? Other tips of what they each include or excel would be great.

Thanks to all who contribute

msr

Old 02-22-2014, 05:06 PM

63 posts, read 166,958 times
My 2cents... The Post Register is well protected by a pay wall. The Idaho State Journal gives you 6 free articles and many articles are posted to free view blogs on the site. I have a home comp, Kindle and smart phone giving me 18 articles a month... plenty. The Blackfoot Morning News is also easy to access; plenty of free (shorter) articles. Wish I had better access to the Post Register which has excellent content, but can't use the daily delivery and don't like the online subscription.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
The Post-Register is still the most complete source of local news, I believe, especially due in part to the paper's willingness to file freedom of information lawsuits all the other news sources will not.
But the Channel 8 news website is, I think, better overall than the Post-Register's, and is certainly much easier to obtain. It's layout and design is also much better and easier to naviage than the P-R website.

I've been a lifelong subscriber to the P-R. My family turned me in to a newspaper junkie early on, as they were all subscribers, and I really like it as a morning paper. I just wish it was still being published 7 days a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls