U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 01:44 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,941,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I guess we will wait and see. But I would bet a dinner at a great restaurant that if this passes; in five years the school district will be back with their hands open asking for more money for some other program that the school boards has set their greedy eyes upon. Just wait.

And if it does not pass, there will probably be another vote some time after the summer recess. Don't want a school tax increase vote if there is a possibility that the parents and their kids will be out of town during the summer break

I've said all I want to say and it probably peed off a few. GOOD! Especially when they imply I said something I didn't say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
F5, what do you consider a great restuarant? I think I'm going to accept that bet.

You may well be right about the outcome. However, I
do know a few things about this vote. Dr. Shackett would not pursue it if it weren't necessary. I have family that know him well. Kids can't make it through the halls to their classes there are so many students.

This is the bare bones model for a high school. I don't think Chuck Shackett would do something like a summer vote unless something like a formal fire code violation was issued. Currently, besides being late or missing classes since students can't make it through the halls due to too many students, the concerns are what would happen in an emergency? School officials don't know what % of students would make it outside, if (God forbid) there was a shooter or fire.

No, I really don't think it would be a summer vote, except a situation as I mentioned above. My belief is Dr. Shackett, if the vote fails, will send out the schedule for split school. And maybe that needs to happen to wake passive parents up. I'm not exactly proud of two of my extended family members who didn't bother to vote. Their kids are in elementary school ( same class, which is bizarre given how far apart they live). The total of four parents didn't vote partially because they thought other parents of older kids would approve the bond and because it was a "high school" issue. I suspect parents with their first child in the beginning grades didn't vote for the same reasons.

I do agree with someething you wrote earlier. There will have to be additional bonds or levies as the high school has no football or track facilities, among other things. This is barebones...classrooms, an office, room for lockers, janitorial, restrooms and I think a cafeteria area. I can't recall if this version has a gym.

What kind of music do you like? I'm good for my part of the bet, although I would have to delay a little bit.

I look forward to two or three restuarants you want to have some of your money
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 04:28 PM

25,719 posts, read 17,157,331 times
District 93 has a history of building no schools until the present schools are all packed to the gills and are causing real problems.

The first Bonneville High School was the first consolidated high school ever in the county when it was built ca. 1959, and was argued over for many years before the construction bond was finally passed. It passed through the planning committee only after approval, which had taken years to reach, was close to falling apart once more just before the agreement was finalized.

One old farmer from Iona, who had attended and watched every meeting with no comments, stood up and cussed the entire room out harshly; he called the entire group a bunch of chicken manure, but he didn't use the word manure. His rant shocked them all, and also stopped the dickering, and Bonneville High was finally built. Consolidating Lincoln, Iona, Ucon, Ammon, New Sweden high schools, all old, outdated and some dangerous fire traps, immediately saved the county residents a ton of tax money, enough to re-condition are re-purpose some of the old high schools.

Hillcrest high was so long in the building that it was overcrowded as soon as the doors were first opened. I have no doubt that it will be exactly the same when another high school is finally built. That's the way Bonneville county works, and has always worked.

But there is always hope. Lots of school districts all over the nation are abandoning the single big mega-school solution in favor of more smaller and cheaper schools. New construction techniques now make the costs of a small school a lot smaller than before, and for many cash-strapped districts, combining Jr. high and High school into a single building has proven to be a good alternative to one big new school that's dedicated to only one or the other.

Bonneville county is booming. As long as it keeps growing, more kids will be entering the school system, and more bonds will have to be passed. There is no getting around it. But this is a new century that is already developing new ways of thinking about building schools, and I think these new ways of thought are more needed right now as a first step than anything else.

There are always many alternative solutions to a problem. It's up to the school district's patrons to find them. They may need another old cranky farmer who sees the best solution of the time clearly to whip them all into agreement once again. I'm sure one will show up to every meeting.

That, too, is how Bonneville county works.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
District 93 has a history of building no schools until the present schools are all packed to the gills and are causing real problems.

The first Bonneville High School was the first consolidated high school ever in the county when it was built ca. 1959, and was argued over for many years before the construction bond was finally passed. It passed through the planning committee only after approval, which had taken years to reach, was close to falling apart once more just before the agreement was finalized.

One old farmer from Iona, who had attended and watched every meeting with no comments, stood up and cussed the entire room out harshly; he called the entire group a bunch of chicken manure, but he didn't use the word manure. His rant shocked them all, and also stopped the dickering, and Bonneville High was finally built. Consolidating Lincoln, Iona, Ucon, Ammon, New Sweden high schools, all old, outdated and some dangerous fire traps, immediately saved the county residents a ton of tax money, enough to re-condition are re-purpose some of the old high schools.

Hillcrest high was so long in the building that it was overcrowded as soon as the doors were first opened. I have no doubt that it will be exactly the same when another high school is finally built. That's the way Bonneville county works, and has always worked.

But there is always hope. Lots of school districts all over the nation are abandoning the single big mega-school solution in favor of more smaller and cheaper schools. New construction techniques now make the costs of a small school a lot smaller than before, and for many cash-strapped districts, combining Jr. high and High school into a single building has proven to be a good alternative to one big new school that's dedicated to only one or the other.

Bonneville county is booming. As long as it keeps growing, more kids will be entering the school system, and more bonds will have to be passed. There is no getting around it. But this is a new century that is already developing new ways of thinking about building schools, and I think these new ways of thought are more needed right now as a first step than anything else.

There are always many alternative solutions to a problem. It's up to the school district's patrons to find them. They may need another old cranky farmer who sees the best solution of the time clearly to whip them all into agreement once again. I'm sure one will show up to every meeting.

That, too, is how Bonneville county works.
I agree. The new high school bond won't be big enough to handle all the kids from the six elementary schools built in 10 years. That will be one or two additional high schools (maybe)

Did you read the link I posted? District #93 is the fastest growing district in Idaho this year with 6.6 %.

As much as I agree I probably shouldn't write more. That would probably hurt my chances to win the bet with f5

Old 05-18-2015, 12:12 PM

Default May 19 Vote

This will be quite simple. There is a lot of bad or misinformation circulating about District 93 ' s Bond. If you are in that District and thinking about voting no, please read the facts first. You owe it to the students.

If you own a $190,000 home, your taxes will increase $59.00 annually to get this barebones High School started. Other schools will probably need to be added in the future too.

A former "NO" Voter, who is a Ph.D teaching at BYU-Idaho, and now a "YES" voter had one of the two best summaries of the situation. She was a member of the 60 member steering committee who once again looked at all options. She changed her mind to a "YES" vote based on four things. 1. This is the best option, not a new Jr. High, 2. If the third high school isn't started soon interest rates will be higher, 3. Working with "No" voters she learned many were voting "NO" out of ignorance and misinformation. The architect has addressed all the sample soil issues. There is no greater chance of Lava rock at the proposed building site than anywhere in the district (including homes). The "NO" voters couldn't write a consensus statement, meaning many didn't know why they were voting "NO" and others were purely obstructionists to be obstructionists. 4. To those who fear this will lead to more schools and growth this Ph.D answered, "She certainly hoped so. If that was the worst problem a school district had to revisit in a year or more, then things were going well in the district."

The other to the point summary that impressed me was written by Eric Isom. Lots of us here like development etc. But for any who don't know who Eric Isom is, check out the bios section of Ball Ventures: Ball Ventures - Ball Ventures - Idaho Falls Real Estate Investment, Lending and Development .

Eric Isom simply said the schools were overcrowded and a new high school was needed. He likened the school district to the growth and development of an area. He wrote, "There is no such thing as remaining with the status quo. If a community or school district isn't growing, then it is decreasing." He also commented to recruit new business and industry with higher paying jobs to an area the public schools are always a factor on where companies locate.
Those are powerful words for all of us, IMO.

Think about all the facts and vote. Of course I hope this passes after missing the Super majority by less than 70 votes in March. But to all voters in Dist. 93, you are voting on education for students and further growth for Bonneville County, including new companies locating here and better employment opportunities for a growing population.. Regardless of which way you vote, be certain that you know why you're voting the way you are planning to vote.
May 19th Bond Election - May 19th Bond Election

MSR

Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 AM

Welcome to split sessions parents in District # 93. No more "easy days" when kids of all ages go to school together. No, you have voted to make your kids lives hell. For special needs students, you just got set back 50 yrs. Not even a full percent. I'm sure there will be recount. A total of 10,081 votes with 81 votes short of a super majority. The majority want this with 66.19% voting yes. With 10081 votes, about 2 - 30 more than March, this failure margin is smaller than before.

I removed the rest of what I wrote for now. I've seen and worked with families in split sessions. Most no voters haven't.

For parents who tried to pass this bond, get your kids in D # 91 or charter schools. Let's hope there was a miscount!

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-20-2015 at 01:25 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 07:49 AM

3,586 posts, read 3,070,509 times
Rest assured, they will force another election in a few months. School districts are like the kids they teach; don't get their way, they have a temper tantrum and schedule another vote AT TAXPAYER EXPENSE!

Old 05-20-2015, 05:12 PM

423 posts, read 309,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Rest assured, they will force another election in a few months. School districts are like the kids they teach; don't get their way, they have a temper tantrum and schedule another vote AT TAXPAYER EXPENSE!
I hope they do. I have children in d93. As a single parent, early release Wednesday was enough to kill me (arranging sitters and transportation). I am otherwise very happy with the education provided. I am just a renter so moving out of district is fairly easy for me, not so much for others.

Another thought I had; i read several months ago that the city of Ammon was "seeking an identity". How about cheap? And not as in inexpensive. Frugality amongst taxpayers keeps Ammon and unincorporated Bonneville county under developed. I was a bit shocked when they finally installed a traffic signal at first & ammon. When will the roads be widened? Not soon. Needed now. Trying to pry a dime from local residents is like pulling teeth. I believe d93 when they say this is ultimately the best option. I will absolutely not be around if and when split sessions come into play.

Are there other alternatives to seek funding? I hope so because I like where I live.

Last edited by Theotherdude; 05-20-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 05:58 PM

3,586 posts, read 3,070,509 times
Here's an idea, I believe at this time there are six school regions in Idaho, with an approx. total of 112 districts. Why not dissolve all the districts and have just six districts. That would cut 111 high paid superintendent salaries (I'm guessing most make over 100K each), their administration assistants and quite a large number of office personnel; allow for bigger buying power and possible allow kids to be bused to closer schools that they presently cannot attend due to the fact it is in a different school district. In some cases, there might be a school just down the street, in a different district that is no where full. (Can't say for sure, but could be.)

Don't say it cannot be done; it can be if the people want it and vote for it. But that has to be a push by the taxpayer (and that includes those who have kids) and disregarding the threat of schools declining or kids whining about transferring to a different school. Kids will get over it. And it should not greatly affect teachers. Just the higher salaried district employees.

So, yes there is a lot more schools can do to cut costs. However, just try and get a bunch of superintendents to agree this would be the best for the taxpayer. Won't happen since out of the 112, only one will have a job.

But as parents get upset, they have to remember, that many people cannot afford the increase in taxes. And with fuel taxes going up, and federal fuel taxes likely to go up in the near future, a lot of people are on a short string and cannot afford more. And I know a lot of you parents don't like to hear it, but there are a heck of a lot of senior citizens on fixed incomes that cannot afford more; and a lot of young citizens, just starting out and they cannot afford greater taxes. And it will not be the last for a tax increase; they keep coming just about every year. Governments and their entities just cannot seem to live within their means because they depend on the knee jerk reactions of the parents to get things passed. Only this time, I have to believe many parents voted against the issue; not just those without kids.

And as you say you might have to move due to the district, I feel for you, but is that any different than someone who can no longer afford living in the district who has to move if taxes keep going up?

Being the pessimist I am about people and the government, I don't hold much hope that this will ever happen. Too many parents and their kids live by the old Beach Boy song..."Be True to Your School."

Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I hope they do. I have children in d93. As a single parent, early release Wednesday was enough to kill me (arranging sitters and transportation). I am otherwise very happy with the education provided. I am just a renter so moving out of district is fairly easy for me, not so much for others.

Another thought I had; i read several months ago that the city of Ammon was "seeking an identity". How about cheap? And not as in inexpensive. Frugality amongst taxpayers keeps Ammon and unincorporated Bonneville county under developed. I was a bit shocked when they finally installed a traffic signal at first & ammon. When will the roads be widened? Not soon. Needed now. Trying to pry a dime from local residents is like pulling teeth. I believe d93 when they say this is ultimately the best option. I will absolutely not be around if and when split sessions come into play.

Are there other alternatives to seek funding? I hope so because I like where I live.
I like your post, ToD. Between what you and f5 wrote, I don't have to introduce certain non-popular words here. What a lot of people forget is there essentially is a third high school in D93. The technical high school has over 600 students now. Part was to alleviate crowding at Bonneville H.S.

I posted much earlier in this thread that D93 is the fastest growing in the state of Idaho. I think it was around 6%. Currently, D93 is the 5th largest in Idaho.

I agree, there are sections of Ammon, Ucon -especially where retirees are moving and unincorporated 8B where no one will vote to increase anything. No, there are no other alternatives to funding. Parents can look at Charter, private or schools in different districts as options.

If D93 grows at 4%, split sessions won't start until either 2016-2017 school year or maybe 2017 - 2018. But growth over 4% and split sessions will start in 2016-2017 for sure, if not earlier. I wouldn't be too comforted that the tv news knew the times of each session now. If residents won't pass a bond to educate kids, anything else bonded that incorporates those areas won't pass either.

To borrow Eric Isom ' s words, those areas are moving backwards, not forward. Not all of the area, as Comora Loma and other areas are growing and voting for schools and more.

But the one thing no voter can control is the cost of property. It could easily be we see growth in Ririe and especially Blackfoot for retirees moving to Idaho for the first time. I predict soon ID won't be such a cheap state for out-of-state retirees to relocate soon, except really rural counties. And most retirees want to work at least half time, which the rural counties can't offer. WalMart will have no problem getting greeters. Seriously, Eastern Bonneville County may rapidly be too expensive for young families and retirees on fixed incomes. Younger families tend to work a little more, if needed, to keep the schools at manageable sizes. But retirees moving to the state may not have the choices in locations they once did. That may be how Blackfoot and Inkom etc. grow.

Certain parts of 8B, could be too expensive for most people. Skyline is still cheaper, but given those moving to Ammon who value education and more, there will be other bond votes. All the construction brings more growth. Building permits for property near Ucon last month were for 10 homes/street in a week for one builder, not an entire summer. With maybe six - eight builders all building in the NE 8B area, you can do the math. One builder could easily add 20-30 homes/summer. How many new students/residence?

As far as combining districts as f5 suggested, I agree a lot of the smaller districts could be combined. There were districts that voted on combining in the vote on Tuesday. For D93, that won't work. There aren't enough savings in the few things that could be eliminated that it would make a dent in a year of 6% growth. All factors the District uses indicates more than 4% growth for as many years as they dare project. This is the district that had to add six elementary schools in 10 years. Those kids are not new growth now, but two high schools, or two plus the technical high school will never accommodate the population.

There were two retired people, one who use to have a radio show with her sister, that had to be taken off the air, given inaccuracies and more. The on-air parents who voted for the bond started too late. Unfortunately, the female still has people who blindly believe her. They don't know about her radio past.

D93 decides next week to decide if they will recount. For 58 votes, I would. As Dr. Sackett said, a minority is forcing the majority to exist when that isn't what the majority wants. I hope someone fell asleep counting and 60 votes were miscount ed or accidentally omitted.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-22-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Arrow Less Than 20 Votes... Read This

I hadn't seen this update when I posted. Less than 20 Votes decided this election. I absolutely would do a recount.
Bonneville school bond closer than thought | News - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls