U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 21,408 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get an idea as to what my uliltiy costs will be in IF. Moving to an older, under 2,000 sq ft home located in IF. Anyone care to share what their utilities run?

I'm moving from a HCOL area and I think my current utilities are pretty outrageous. For my 10 year old, 2,000 sq ft home (and I turn off lights, turn down heater, etc):
Power (natural gas and electric) $250 monthly
Sewer $60 monthly
Water $40 monthly
Garbage $40 monthly
Comcast $150 monthly

Please tell me your utilities are less!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM

28,162 posts, read 19,886,487 times
Your power and gas will be lower. How much will depend on how warm you keep your home during the winter. Personally, I'm uncomfortable with anything above 69 or 70 degrees during the winters, and my gas bill is at most around $100. That's usually only during a January or February cold snap, which occurs regularly here.

Idaho Falls generates it's own power. The city is part of the larger power grid, but our city rates are lower because we are generators. Your power bill will be part of your garbage and water bill- the city provides them all. The water and garbage are flat rated.

My typical combined bill is about $125 in the winter, and lower in the summer because the lights aren't on as much. Most homes here don't have or need air conditioning; a fan usually is enough to cool things down in the summers. That doesn't include my internet bill. I have my net service with the phone company.

Comcast is only one of several options here. We have several hi-speed net providers, so you can shop around.

With everything considered, your total bill should be at least $50-$100 cheaper, but that really depends on you alone.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 AM

5,254 posts, read 17,420,164 times
Are you actually moving into the city limits or an outlaying area? That can make a difference.

We are situated east of the city and therefore on an entirely different system. Garbage runs $45 per quarter, water is on a meter, typical bill during Summer is $25-$30 a month, sewer is $30 I think, we do average pay on our power and that runs $115 monthly, internet through Digis is $35 and Dish $74. We are sole electric and do not incur a gas bill.

We also keep our thermostat lower in Winter, usually right around 60-65 degrees

In Summer we use a window a/c which actually cools the entire house rather well. Since we face east/west it is needed as the neighbors behind me (west) do not have tall trees to shade us, nor do we for that matter

Old 04-10-2014, 10:11 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,896,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyWest View Post
I'm trying to get an idea as to what my uliltiy costs will be in IF. Moving to an older, under 2,000 sq ft home located in IF. Anyone care to share what their utilities run?

I'm moving from a HCOL area and I think my current utilities are pretty outrageous. For my 10 year old, 2,000 sq ft home (and I turn off lights, turn down heater, etc):
Power (natural gas and electric) $250 monthly
Sewer $60 monthly
Water $40 monthly
Garbage $40 monthly
Comcast $150 monthly

Please tell me your utilities are less!!!
On Oahu Hawaii i rent.
Electricity runs $250-350 in the winter and add $100 during summer.
Oceantic Time warner cable runs $139. I bundle Computer and TV.
Regular lane line telephone $50-75 a month
My cell phone $39
Water no cost
Garbage owners pays
Sewer owners pay.
Not bad except for elctricity
Good luck in your search for your home.
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls