U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM

68 posts, read 68,204 times

Advertisements

Except an engineer, putting 2&2 together, would probably be aware that dose rate is proportional to distance as an inverse square.

I have personally stood over the Three Mile Island unit 2 core with a dosimeter in hand, at a range of about 40 feet of water. No notable radiation levels where I was.

The dose rate equation for a point source is thus: Dose2=Dose1(range1)^2/(range2)^2

Sorry, that's the best I could do to write it out without being able to figure out how to do subscripts. Basically, it's an inverse square function. So, when you're engineer above does 2&2, it's actually 2^2.

so let's take a dose rate of 1000 rem per hour at 1 yard. That's enough to kill a man in 30 minutes or so. Let's back away just a mile. Not the 55 miles from the site to town. Just one mile.

Dose2= (1000rem/hr)(3ft)^2/(5280ft)^2 = 3.22x10-4rem, or 0.32millirem.

Let's go to Arco with it. Call that 20 miles or so?

Dose2= (1000rem/hr)(3ft)^2/20(5280)^2 = 8.08x10-7rem, or 0.0008millirem

Again, it appears you have your beliefs, and I have mine. I probably shouldn't have responded at all, but I can't help myself when I see things things that are sensationalized without the math and physics to back it up. We're not going to convince each other.

I do wish you all the luck with Nuclear Care Partners, though.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 AM

100 posts, read 198,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQuixote View Post
Let's go to Arco with it. Call that 20 miles or so?
One huge problem with these radioactive dump sites is that much of the materiel was improperly stored. When radioactive contaminates enter the atmosphere, they can travel very far, as we saw with Chernobyl and other places.

Much of the stuff that came from Rocky Flats was in cardboard boxes, cardboard has a lifespan of .05-30yrs? Plutonium has a life span of Millions/billions of years. When many of the containers at Rocky Flats decomposed the radioactive material entered the soil and was blown in the winds a crossed populated areas. Radioactive materiel also entered water supplies(that were serving the Denver metro area).

Most of the stuff at the INEEL site is restricted access to the information and only revealed on a “need to know basis” which means that almost know one knows much of the stuff that goes on out there.
WE do know that much of the radioactive material dumped at the site was improperly dumped and stored. To what extent ? And how much has entered the atmosphere ? the soil ? and water table ?
No one really knows we just get a trickle of info from the PR department whose job it is to down play all dangers to the public.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 AM

68 posts, read 68,204 times
And there's our common ground.

I totally agree with you that there's no reason for secrecy and "need to know" when it comes to cleanup of radiactive waste material. The scope of the problem should be well defined and open. It needs to be isolated, cleaned up and stored safely, and it needs to be done right. No arguments from me there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: