U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:58 AM

100 posts, read 197,752 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to let some of the folks in IF know about Nuclear Care Partners they have got some funding and are taking applications to help former INEL workers that now have sicknesses from being contaminated at the site.
Nuclear Care Partners

As of now there is virtually no help for the people that have been contaminated from radioactive materials that were not employees but hopefully that will change soon. South East Idaho has qualified for EPA Superfund clean up money and hopeful more help will come from the government to help deal with the waste contamination and the health issues from it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM

3,056 posts, read 5,946,231 times
You are on a mission, for personal reasons? Did you use to work at INEL and get exposed? Where do you currently live? Did you used to live in Idaho Falls? Again, Where do you currently live? Do you have a bitter issue with the Idaho Falls area? Tell us because you are a new forum member and are coming across like an internet troll with your snarky and abusive posts.
I truly think a person has to worry more about their health living in a place like the uber polluted Wasatch Front or living near the Rocky Flats Plant close to Denver (why are you not on a mission in the Denver threads about radioactive contamination from Rocky Flats?) , or Chicago where dozens are murdered on any given weekend.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 AM

^ahh.. this is the Idaho Falls forum NOT the Chicago forum.

As far as why I posted the links, 2 of my family members work for Nuclear Care Partners which is a very good program. More then a half a dozen people I know(friends and family) from the Idaho Falls area are dieing from cancer they most then likely revived from working at INEL.

Their has been a lot of propaganda and energy focused on hiding the radioactive waste issue from INEEL. People are missing out on help and benefits due to the lack of awareness and intentionally discrediting people severe radioactive contamination problems.

If you have a sickness caused by radioactive contamination and you worked at the site please contact Nuclear Care Partners. You may be eligible for benefits.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,254,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blendin View Post
^ahh.. this is the Idaho Falls forum NOT the Chicago forum.

As far as why I posted the links, 2 of my family members work for Nuclear Care Partners which is a very good program. More then a half a dozen people I know(friends and family) from the Idaho Falls area are dieing from cancer they most then likely revived from working at INEL.

Their has been a lot of propaganda and energy focused on hiding the radioactive waste issue from INEEL. People are missing out on help and benefits due to the lack of awareness and intentionally discrediting people severe radioactive contamination problems.

If you have a sickness caused by radioactive contamination and you worked at the site please contact Nuclear Care Partners. You may be eligible for benefits.
And you currently live where?

Who is the director of the SRA, given the change?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 PM

385 posts, read 459,139 times
don't feed the troll

Old 07-12-2014, 08:15 AM

^ tmp4 why do did you come crap on my thread ..? What is wrong with you .?

Nuclear Care Partners is a good program based out of Idaho Falls providing much needed help. Their is a good amount of former site workers who are very sick from radiation exposure that can benefit from this program.

The program is not perfect it will only help former site workers, it will not help people that were exposed to radiation that were not workers but it is something and a better then nothing(nothing has been the status quo for many years).

So please leave stop crapping on my thread. If only one person contacts Nuclear Care Partners and gets help it will be more valuable then your petty dry cleaning and restaurant threads.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:50 PM

68 posts, read 68,095 times
Probably because you're blaming radiation from the site as the source of cancer, and that's just not backed up by science. There is no way to know that the reason someone has cancer is from ionizing radiation from man made sources at the site. Admittedly, it could be, but it is more likely to be from natural sources of radiation. Long term studies performed after the atomic attacks of Hiroshima and Nagisaki were unable to provide any link to any biological changes below a somatic (in one shot) dose of 40 REM, and there has been NO link established between a chronic (cumulative) dose below 10 REM and an increased risk of cancer.

To put those 40 REM and 10 REM numbers in perspective for you. The average human can expect to get 0.62 REM per year of cumulative dose from natural causes such as naturally occuring radon, cosmic radiation, the sun, x-rays, and other medical procedures.

So, the older you get, the more cumulative dose you've got, and the more chance of cancer you get.

As a reactor operator and a heath physics tech for both the Navy and DOE, I accumulated 1.6 REM from man made sources over 23 years of operation. So, as a 45 year old, I have about 27.9 REM from natural causes and 1.6 REM from reactor operations, for a total of 29.5 REM. If I get cancer, was it from the reactor plant? Who knows? Not me, not you. For sure, there is no credible studies that show a higher instance of cancer for radiation workers than for the general public.

By the way, it's ionizing radiation that people are exposed to, not contamination. Contamination is finely divided pieces of radioactive material. Radiation is the ionizing particles (alpha, beta, neutron) and rays (gamma, x) that the contamination generates.

At least in my time out there at the site (admittedly that's not been in the last 5 years), I can't see any way that a history of severely contaminated people could be covered up. The portal monitors and TLD readers simply don't lie. There would be way too many normal-joe people willfully covering it up and way too many records that would have to be changed or destroyed.

Last edited by DanQuixote; 07-16-2014 at 04:30 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 04:00 PM

68 posts, read 68,095 times
Oh, and by the way, I DO think it's wonderful what Nuclear Care Partners are doing. I really do. But it doesn't appear to have anything to do with radiation induced cancer. Check out what they told KIFI:

Our population is a little specific because they were former Department of Energy workers whereas other agencies would just be open to the public," said Denise Peterson, the nurse care manager at Nuclear Care Partners.
Peterson, who has been a nurse for 18 years, said there is an appeal to the Idaho Falls location because of the services they can provide to former Idaho National Laboratory employees.
"We see a lot of illnesses. We see respiratory illnesses, pulmonary illnesses, asbestosis, silicosis," said Peterson.

Nuclear Care Partners open in Idaho Falls | News - Home

Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 PM

27,063 posts, read 18,338,252 times
Hi, blendin…
Folks here are very aware of man-caused radiation problems.
As DanQuixote mentioned, Idaho has many sources of natural radiation, and there are known cancer hotspots all over the state. What causes cancer is yet to be determined here, just as it is anywhere else. In one hot spot I know of, the current environmental cause that is being debated is due to phosphate contamination.

20 years ago, it was thought to be caused from nuclear contamination, but now, the current debate is centered more on genetics in a small population more than environmental causes. In any small town or rural area where folks don't move out or in much, natural inbreeding happens. Everyone ends up being a shirt-tail relative to everyone else, and that alone can cause an increase of cancer, it seems. DNA still hasn't provided a strong answer to any possibility.

Your first post did come across as being somewhat trollish, as this forum very seldom has a post that so strongly boosts an enterprise a person has close personal connections with. Folks here in this part of Idaho very seldom toot their horn when it comes to a business, and this forum is no exception.

I too, am glad Nuclear Care Partners have an office here. The site has always been a place where accidents of all kinds happen, and there are many non-nuclear career risks out there as well. But the same is just as true with workers who spend their careers here in the offices and never go out to the site.

Don't get so upset. Residents have been discussing nuclear issues here for over 50 years now, and the overwhelming majority of us have a lot of confidence in our site worker's assessments and judgement of our risks. Remember the INL has always been a test site.
Our folks know more about the dangers of nuclear contamination better than any other place in the nation because it has been a big part of the site's mission ever since it's beginnings. Our folks are the ones who figure out what the dangers are for all the reactor sites all over the country in both military and civilian nuclear plants.

There is a lot of accumulated knowledge here. Most of us could argue this one for and against all day long until the cows come home, with lots of evidence that comes from all parts of the discussion. Naturally, we tend to be a bit suspicious of an outsider's obvious boosting for any particular biz.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQuixote View Post
Probably because you're blaming radiation from the site as the source of cancer, and that's just not backed up by science.
The truth is there is a good amount of older site workers in Idaho Falls that have revived documented and undocumented radioactive exposure dealing with cancer.

I do agree that cancer is cancer and it just happens but it also happens from man made exposure. The problem is there is no independent tests or records of radioactive contamination and exposure only tests or records from people who will bend over backwards to protect financial profits from taking losses due to medical claims and lawsuits.

Rocky Flats was one of the only Nuclear facilities that got a outside audit. That outside audit found much different info then their own records. It found TONs of missing plutonium waste(probably most all of it is in the local environment), countless disconnected radioactive monitors, and a large amount of human exposure cover ups.

Do you really think INEEL is any different ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't get so upset. Residents have been discussing nuclear issues here for over 50 years now, and the overwhelming majority of us have a lot of confidence in our site worker's assessments and judgement of our risks. Remember the INL has always been a test site.
It has also been a radioactive dumping site for highly radioactive materials from other states.

In the past five years, contractors on the site have accepted nuclear waste – about .25 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel and more than 400 cubic meters of transuranic waste – from at least eight different states and three different countries.

Bringing nuclear waste to Idaho

From years past
-140 tons of highly radioactive nuclear core debris that resulted from the Three Mile Island Unit 2 partial core meltdown in 1979
-Hundreds of Thousands of Tons of highly radioactive plutonium waste from the Rocky Flats plant.
INEEL is also producing and storing its own waste-

Aside from waste from other states the "testing" creates its own waste.

The INL has about 300 tons of spent
radioactive naval fuel in storage and continues to receive spent fuel shipments when nuclear-powered ships are refueled. The site has about 900,000 gallons of highly radioactive liquid from the now inactive Idaho Chemical Processing Plant, where spent naval fuel was reprocessed to reclaim uranium. Also stored is some 4,000 cubic meters of dry or “calcine” waste produced from liquid extraction at the Idaho Chemical Processing Plant
Idaho Mountain Express: Watchdog: Idaho could be dump for nuclear waste - March 1, 2013

We are taking about Thousands of TONs of highly radioactive waste. In your backyard..
So much radioactive waste much on the "good money" these days comes from the National Cleanup Superfund for Idaho

We cannot 100% prove that much of the high rates of cancer is coming from the site, but with thousands of tons of radio active waste dumped all around just a few miles out in the desert it doesn't take a engineer to put 2&2 together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: