Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 20,504 times

Advertisements

My son purchased a home in the Idaho Falls area last year soon after his family started getting sick(headaches, drowsiness, lack of focus, lack of appetite,....). So bad they moved from the home into a rental, almost over night they started feeling better.. no more headaches, etc.
So we all started wondering if maybe they were allergic to something around the home or a meth lab had been in the home then we started researching who had lived there.

We found the previous owner and went to talk to him. He was a very nice older gentlemen, we told him our concerns with the home and if he knew anything in the history that might cause sickness. The guy started telling us he was dieing of cancer he believes he got from getting exposed to radioactive materials while working at the local nuclear research plant outside of Idaho Falls.

He started to cry and said “It could be contamination he brought home when he lived there.” He was heart wrenched and said he is dieing they are denying his exposure claims while saying the amounts he was exposed to were safe.

So now we are wondering could this home could be contaminated by radioactive exposure brought home by a former site worker ?

Can we test the home for radioactive contamination ? If so how ?

If we resell the home do we have to disclose the house might be contaminated ?

Have you heard of other homes in the Idaho Falls area that are contaminated by site workers ?

This is a big mess for us we are scared to sell the home my sons family cannot move back in and get sick again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
A good Geiger counter runs about $400. capable of giving you strait answers in stead of trusting some government agency.
'The radiation network' has a listing of good geiger counters available .
I made the mistake of going cheap $200. and it works but not to the degree I would have preferred.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 PM

7 posts, read 20,504 times
Thanks arleigh,
I was looking at geiger counters a couple of weeks ago then I got kind of lost and confused in the technology. I guess I need to go back and try to educate myself again.

Do you know of any pages that have info on harmful amounts and levels to look for ?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 PM

208 posts, read 318,229 times
The other thing you may want to check for is radon. This is a natural occurence that needs venting if levels are high enough. Other states require a radon test upon purchase, but Idaho does not, even though in some areas their levels are just as high. If there is radon, it can be remediated by a ventilation system to eliminate the problem.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 PM

100 posts, read 227,321 times
Try getting a professional grade radiation dosimeter. Many times carpet, carpet padding, drapes, fabric and foam materials will soak up the radiation and hold it. Pulling these out can help a lot.

Years back a buddy of mine bought a car from a INEEL site worker then he would get sick if he drove for extended periods. His brother worked at the site and had a radiation dosimeter so he tested the car, the dosimeter went bazerk on the driver car seat. He ended up selling the car to someone he didn't like.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls