Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 01:55 PM

208 posts, read 318,160 times

Advertisements

Ok, last year we moved from Massachusetts to Ammon, and are completely dismayed at the lack of good outdoor swim clubs/pools in the area. Most of what we hear is that it's because the season is so short here. To us, we're scratching our heads because in MA our season was no longer and on our street of 7 homes, there were 3 of us with in-ground pools. Where I grew up in PA, our township had 3 community pools, which were huge (baby pool, intermediate pool, and olympic size pool with separate diving area), and season was only June - Sept. there too. Anyway, since we are VERY MUCH missing our backyard pool and not much here by way of options, we are considering putting a pool in. I was wondering a couple of things: 1) Does anyone know Ammon's restrictions/regulations on putting a pool in (I couldn't find anything online and don't want to call the town just yet) 2) Is it really the "short" season or does it have to do with maybe the cost is much higher here than other areas of the country because not many people put them in or 3) Does it have to do with trying to dig down - depending where you are shale, etc? Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,067,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvwife View Post
Ok, last year we moved from Massachusetts to Ammon, and are completely dismayed at the lack of good outdoor swim clubs/pools in the area. Most of what we hear is that it's because the season is so short here. .
I'm sure that the short season here is one reason why there are fewer outdoor pools than what you are used to. As someone who ran indoor and outdoor pools at the municipal (city government) level I can also tell you that straight pools (as opposed to water parks) are not money making propositions. In fact they are money pits. Chemicals are expensive and constantly rising. The costs of water, electricity, parts and maintenance are high, many pools have difficulty finding enough staff to safely man the pool (and turnover is high - a constantly revolving door of training, hiring, inservicing, rinse and repeat), and consumers will not pay a high entrance fee for a straight 25 or 50 meter pool without play features.

Cities generally provided pools in the past regardless of how much money they were losing because it was a service to the community. Budgets have tightened considerably over the years (and existing pools are beginning to reach the end of their projected lifespans). There is just not enough money to build (and then absorb financial losses) a money losing outdoor pool (or indoor pool for that matter), and there is not enough money to build and then absorb the financial losses of a water park.

There are other possible reasons for limited swim club/pool options - eg. a landlocked state with unlimited outdoor recreation opportunities already available, a culture more inclined towards hunting and fishing than competitive swimming, cities that find it more cost effective to provide lifeguards (or not) at local reservoirs as opposed to concrete holes in the ground. Likely other reasons I haven't thought off right now, as well.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Default Private Pools Exist

ATV Wife,

Those with private pools don't to talk about them much. But you'd be far from the first to have a private pool.

I really can't remember how long ago I saw the first private pool on my road 30 yrs. maybe.

You may want to consider an enclosed pool with a retracting roof so you can use it more.

Ultimately, you are going to have to talk to Ammon about it. Some neighborhoods may or may not have restrictions. I'd find out that party before I asked builders etc.

Good luck.

MSR

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
ATV Wife,

Those with private pools don't to talk about them much. But you'd be far from the first to have a private pool.

I really can't remember how long ago I saw the first private pool on my road 30 yrs. maybe.

You may want to consider an enclosed pool with a retracting roof so you can use it more.

Ultimately, you are going to have to talk to Ammon about it. Some neighborhoods may or may not have restrictions. I'd find out that party before I asked builders etc.

Good luck.

MSR
I think you're right - talk to Ammon and then try to find a contractor that does them - which doesn't seem to be in great supply either. As far as the retractable roof, we actually have access to getting solar equipment at cost, and would plan to heat the pool with solar and heat the concrete for cooler months (kind of like the hot pool at Sun Valley resort). With minimal access to installation the cost may just be way too much, but it's worth looking into. There are great places like Heise, etc, but everything is so crowded and busy..it'd be so nice to have our own pool again...plus...gotta give the neighbors a good hangout

Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
A former neighbor in Idaho Falls had a backyard pool. Another friend in Missoula bought a home with a pool and uses it all the time. But my former neighbor and my Montana pal are both uncommon, for sure.

Between the short season, the cost, the upkeep costs, time, and problems, and their tendency to attract wandering pets and kids, it's not hard to understand why there aren't more of them.

My buddy in Montana has a lot of problems in the winter with wildlife. He has had deer who have fallen in his pool in the middle of the night, and once believes he had a mountain lion that was stalking a deer in his back yard. On another occasion, a black bear was found treed next door, and had left tracks in the snow by his pool.

While I have never seen a lion in I.F., I have seen deer, moose, beaver, skunk, coyotes and a bobcat wandering around town. Some late at night, others in early morning, and the beaver in the middle of the day, swimming down a canal on 17th.

We don't see them often, but they're here, and they come and go all the time. I'm not sure what a pool's attraction may be to wildlife in the winter, other than the fact it's a rare patch of clear warm water, but I wouldn't want a wildlife attractor in my back yard, winter or summer.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 AM

82 posts, read 97,453 times
Some points to ponder;
You might consider a site survey to see what would have to be dug out. Is it dirt and rocks, or a solid mass of lava flow rock ?
Will you keep it heated all winter, or drain it when it gets well below zero ?
Where will the chlorine water drain to ?
We had 2 neighbors who had pools in Idaho Falls when my kids were little. They let a certain manageable number of kids in, at specific times of the day, and watched them. The kids loved it in the summers during school vacation. It was very nice of the pool owners to share the resource. Great neighbors !

Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Some points to ponder;
You might consider a site survey to see what would have to be dug out. Is it dirt and rocks, or a solid mass of lava flow rock ?
We had 2 neighbors who had pools in Idaho Falls when my kids were little. They let a certain manageable number of kids in, at specific times of the day, and watched them. The kids loved it in the summers during school vacation. It was very nice of the pool owners to share the resource. Great neighbors !
For us it's the social aspect too. We loved having our friends over with their kids to just hang and bbq, and the peacefulness of sitting next to water on a calm day. I also lived in FL for a time when I was a young child, and we had neighbors that never let anyone in their pool...hated that!

We're fortunate that digging should not be a problem where we are. A house was just built right next door, and a few close by, and there's no shale/lava. We have a basement too.

Typically in-ground pools don't get drained - you "close" the pool by draining the lines, adding necessary chemicals, and putting a heavy duty anchored cover on. Our last pool was fiberglass and they can't be drained and left empty for any long period of time - they can pop out of the ground without the weight of the water inside of them. Can actually use it as an ice rink if you leave it uncovered too. It would be way too expensive IMO to drain it every year - you don't want to fill it with city water or a well, and to have the water tanked in it cost us about $500, and that was 10 years ago. I would guess it might be a little more expensive here in Idaho as water is a bit more of a commodity here. Not sure though.

They now have the option going salt-water instead of chlorine, which is what we would do. Much less maintenance and chemicals.

I think our biggest obstacle now is finding someone local that puts them in. The closest I've found is Twin Falls.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Question What Years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Some points to ponder;
What years did your kids graduate from high school? Yes, to have two neighbors with pools share, they sound like awesome neighbors. Have they kept their pools updated over the years? What did you do to thank them?

You might have builder's names that you could give to ATVwife.

msr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls