U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:03 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,262,542 times

Advertisements

For the eighth year Idaho Falls will have men who are committed to end Physical, Verbal, Emotional and Sexual Abuse against women walking Thursday night. The walk starts at 5:00 p.m.

Who will join or ask a man to walk a mile for this cause? Probably, it could even be a team effort, I'm not certain.

The purpose is primarily to educate and increase awareness about abuse.

I will be posting some articles or YouTubes the next couple of days here about abuse. Hopefully, the weekend show that had Robin Givens talk about there being no difference between Verbal and Physical abuse except what was visible to others will become available.

BYU-Idaho students you are welcome to enter too.. I'd love to see some friendly competition between businesses to see which of their male employees would accept the challenge.

Here is the national link. The phone number is wrong by one digit as I talked with Ms. Hess today. The accurate number for the Domestic Violence and Sexual Assualt Center is 529 -4352.

Idaho Falls, ID, USA- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Event | High Heels for Men Fashion, History and More

Please post any good articles or facts about violence against women.

Let's go for it Idaho Falls metro
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 PM

Question Your Story

If anyone in the Idaho or Idaho Falls sub-forum want to share your story of abuse but can't risk posting, I'm willing to receive PMs from you. No accurate names or descriptions will be used when I post your story. You have my word about your confidentiality!

I believe some men and women don't think, or want to admit abuse occurs here, regionally and throughout the state. To read a summary of an active CDF poster brings this home.

I'm going to ask for everyone to help the next couple of days. The more "clicks" or views a thread gets, it can be accessed through a regular internet search. I've heard or seen almost nothing about this event on tv or radio. People searching for more information may get it here, if the media opts not to let men know.

I know these are not fun topics; however most everyone here knows or has heard of a woman being abused. These various types of abuse may bring back bad memories for some. The number I posted can be a connection to healing.

I'm asking everyone to please click on this thread when you login. It's up to you if you want to read or view any Youtubes. This isn't for me. I'm simply someone who has seen the strong response in other cities and volunteered to help make sure an accurate phone number and link would be posted. If we could help even one woman not be abused, the extra clicks are worth it so this thread might get enough clicks to be seen via the internet.

I've also seen the lifelong impact of abuse if people don't get the counseling they need. Probably Sage and other retired Law Enforcement Officers, Medical and Nursing professionals, schoolteachers and others have seen people who were being abused.

Thank you ALL for your help!

MSR

Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 PM

Lightbulb Mental/Emotional Abuse

Most of us know what the women of some NFL players, Rihanna or others looked like after being physically abused. Emotional/Mental/Verbal abuse can be much harder to understand.

Check out this YouTube:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RhbwvTbbhXU

Please feel free to post comments below.

MSR

Old 09-16-2014, 01:44 AM

Default Do Race, Color or "Occupation" Make a Difference?

These are fascinating vids. Probably not appropriate for children to see or hear.

Which of these women deserved to be abused?

Part I

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ANNO33UOLE

Part II

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ONij6eB-k

I hope there are some comments after watching these.

MSR

Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 AM

Default Tailgate Party for Men who Walk

KPVI has an old story about "Walk in Her Shoes." I don't know if a tailgate party is planned for this year or not. Call 529-4352 to find out.

For those who like to plan their time, men could participate in the Idaho Falls Event, potentially tailgate and still see Thursday night Football. How is that for a packed evening ?

Idaho Falls Men "Walk a Mile in her Shoes" - KPVI News 6 - Pocatello, ID

MSR

Old 09-17-2014, 08:47 AM

Default Verbal Abuse

Not all abuse occurs at home. All types of abuse can occur at work or other settings.

This is an interesting and informative article about Verbal Abuse. There are good links to the side.

Home

Tell me if you can even go shopping at a big box without hearing some less obvious ways abuse occurs.

msr

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 PM

Lightbulb Power and Control Wheel

Tomorrow is the walk. Families and women can walk too. And there IS a tailgate party after the mile.
I tried to find walk dates for Pocatello or other cities. I couldn't find them. If someone finds those dates, please post them.

Abuse is ultimately about Power Over and Controlling another person in a relationship. Mostly we think of violence occurring in the home. We know abuse can happen anywhere.

Think for yourselves, if kids see put downs, withdrawal, blaming another and telling the other person how they are dumb, useless, an embarrassment etc., is it any wonder why kids Bully others? They weren't born that way.

These are some old standardized diagrams of the Power and Control Wheel. It focuses on a married couple but the principles are applicable to any abusive relationship. Feel free to print them and give to others. All rights belong to the Duluth Model. The wheel and additional info is available on the National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence. Click on the Wheels to enlarge them.

National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence

I hope this info helps. Let's be kinder to each other...as 1/4 women are abused currently.

The good news is with therapy, both those who abuse and victims can heal. P! NK's music is sometimes painful to hear, given the abuse she describes. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were in a DV relationship. It takes professional help, assessing substance abuse, including alcohol, or other agents that may lower inhibitions and more. But people can stop the cycle of abuse.

msr

Old 09-20-2014, 05:03 PM

Lightbulb DV Court Unique in Idaho - Only in Bonneville County

There is a great article in Friday's Post Register. I can't post it, given subscriptions rules. However, if you can find it and read it, please do. It's on the front page.

Bonneville County has the only court in Idaho that can sentence a person to treatment within the court system. It usually takes a year for those who have abused to complete treatment this way, some take two years. To date, 19 people have graduated.

The whole point is the court focuses on treatment instead of punishment realizing if this epidemic is going to stop, those who abuse must confront their issues honestly and make changes.

In a complimentary article, Tina McBride, Executive Director of the Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse Center (which will soon have a website under Bonneville County's Prosecuting Attorney. A Facebook exists already), said, it is rare to have a person complete treatment before being court ordered or looking at incarceration. I'll second that.

Hopefully, we'll have less cases given better knowledge of what can happen at home and in the workplace, among other settings.

MSR

Old 09-25-2014, 10:59 PM

Default Some Additional Resources on Verbal Abuse - Potentially the Best

I know this thread continues to get visitors. Get the information and print if needed.

I really like these inter-related links about Verbal, Emotional, Financial and other types of Abuse. Potentially, the best explanation ever, at least for me, is here. Read the part about the need to dominate (back to Power and Control) another person. Yes, it decreases the self esteem to the point many do not trust themselves to make simple decisions as they learn asking sometimes avoids the way someone berates and verbally or mental abuse. There is more..... read the links.

Verbal abuse is also silence. Per well known abuse author, Patricia Evans, the purpose of Verbal Abuse is to create confusion. Read the links for more.

Think this isn't relevant here? What is the Pocatello Coach in the news for allegedly doing after the Idaho Falls- Poky game? And interesting it is him given news last school year from the Poky School District.

What is Verbal Abuse? - HealthyPlace

Examples of comments made pertaining to verbal, emotional, sexual and other abuse ( including the workplace):
Examples of Verbal Abuse | Verbal Abuse in Relationships

Verbal Abuse Signs and Symptoms Cause Emotional Pain - HealthyPlace

If you are being abused get professional help. You can't stop this without experts.

Check this out- Idaho Falls/Bonneville County are joining efforts to apply for a full-time Coordinator for children and victims. It's not that there is more abuse in Bonneville County, it's that we have educated professionals trying to aggressively work with abuse each step of the court system and more.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Domesti...23279711082925

MSR

Old 09-26-2014, 12:44 AM

Question Pocatello Coach

Here is the story about the Pocatello High School Coach and alleged verbal abuse.

Report: Pocatello football coach suspended, verbal abuse suspected | Local & Regional | Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Idaho News, Weather, Sports and Breaking News - KBOI 2

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls