U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 09:10 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,255,303 times

Advertisements

I noticed the Chinese restaurant by Papa Tom's has closed. That makes the Rusio building and this space available in Hallpark. Probably a few things will go in soon after Tai Pan Trading opens in Feb. It is destination shopping, IMO.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 09:34 PM

Think this one through. There is a fast food drive in that has one location in Idaho Falls. They are very pro-active wanting to build a second location on the south side of 17th Street approximately by Starbucks and eastbound.

Neighbors in that neighborhood said absolutely not. Between Starbuck's lights, which they didn't 't oppose -it was a positive example cited - and a couple other 17th Street businesses, the lights were too bright for their residential zoning and the residents prevented the land being rezoned.

I had a little extra time this week and drove by. It looks like Wenďy's has closed. That doesn't compute in my mind as that Wendy's has always been busy, including when the one opened in Sandcreek Commons maybe eight or more years ago. So I drove around it because maybe they had pipes burst or something and I wanted to know more.

A small sign says they have closed and to visit their Northgate Mile and West Broadway locations. Much lower the address of Sandcreek Commons was there. But it certainly seemed to me whoever owned 17th Street also has the W. Broadway and Northgate Mile locations.

This just seems so odd, given their years in business. Then I remembered the other chain that wants a restaurant/drive through on eastbound 17th street. They were looking less than 300 ft. away from Wendy's. I wondered if they bought Wendy's as the neighborhood didn't complain about their hours or lights. If I bet about things like this I would say yes. I don't know if they could remodel that building or have to build from scratch.

Also, it would free up a Wendy's franchise so maybe one gets built for Sunnyside or exit 113.

What do you think? Would one chain buy a location of competition if they couldn't get land rezoned to build less than two blocks away?

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-01-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 07:09 PM

151 posts, read 127,230 times
I am struggling to identify the "fast food drive-in that has one location in Idaho Falls".

CFL has just one, but is too close to be considering a second one on 17th.
Popeye's isn't even open yet in SCC.
Mr. Box has two that I know of.
As does Arby's.
Sonic two or more.
BK has at least three.
Same for CJr's.
DQ, Arctic Circle and Taco Bell are all well represented.
McD's is all over the place.

So, that leaves what? Scotty's?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM

385 posts, read 459,278 times
Freddy's? (although anytime I drive by, it's never busy, so can't imagine they're rushing to open a second location)

Old 01-04-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
I am struggling to identify the "fast food drive-in that has one location in Idaho Falls".

CFL has just one, but is too close to be considering a second one on 17th.
Popeye's isn't even open yet in SCC.
Mr. Box has two that I know of.
As does Arby's.
Sonic two or more.
BK has at least three.
Same for CJr's.
DQ, Arctic Circle and Taco Bell are all well represented.
McD's is all over the place.

So, that leaves what? Scotty's?
When I make an error I have no problem taking responsibility for it. I did make an error here and only learned that looking on the home page of this company. For that I apologize. There apparently is a second location of the proposed 17th street drive thru. It got built when I wasn't here and I don't drive past it.

That being written, I'm glad I went to that homepage today. I knew something was different about this chain in Idaho Falls compared to other locations. Now this more makes sense to me. Idaho Falls has no 24 hr. location. If a 24 hr. service was proposed for 17th street, I understand the neighbors comments better about the night lights shining through their windows etc. when this was originally heard in the summer of 2015. I also understand a stronger position by a company who knows the traffic counts for 17th St.

I'll identify the chain when there is some kind of plain for that building. For now, isn't it interesting enough a building on 17th St. with plenty of parking is not for sale? I think that says a lot.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:57 AM

I highly recommend Abracadabra. My favorite new lunch destination. Large portions and reasonable prices. Always pretty packed whenever I go

Old 01-10-2016, 07:22 AM

4,929 posts, read 16,936,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
I highly recommend Abracadabra. My favorite new lunch destination. Large portions and reasonable prices. Always pretty packed whenever I go
I have to agree, we went for breakfast right before Christmas.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:20 PM

151 posts, read 127,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
My wife and I have eaten at Abracadabra twice now, and it was excellent both times. The menu offers some interesting twists on breakfast that you don't get next door at Perkins, for just a little more money.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:45 PM

434 posts, read 337,248 times
After I went to go get a sandwich the other day, I learned that the newly open Togo's on hitt road has closed. It really didnt take long. I wonder if business just didnt do well or if the owners closed it based on personal issues. Had it been me, I would have opened a westside location before moving in 1 building down from a jimmy johns.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:27 PM

One of my other new favorite lunch spots is Arugula Deli. Small place in a business office complex. Fresh, creative menu. Reasonable prices and never crowded. I hope it is doing well, because unfortunately it's never half full when I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls